Firebird handguard question

I ended up buying a firebird side charging standard length rail from centerfire systems, it was the cheapest full size option. When it showed up I must say I was very impressed with the quality! It's a very well engineered and built piece of kit. I installed it today and only had two small hiccups. First the alignment hole on the top, but I had done enough research I know about that. Took me a few second with a drill bit. Second was the fit over the back of the barrel. It was so tight I had to use a rubber mallet and tap it into place....took about 3 to 4 good taps with the hard rubber persuader.

Is this the norm? I seem to recall people talking about barrel thickness issues before? I can see exactly where it rubs because it marred the finish on the barrel a bit.

All in all I'm just blow away by the quality of it. It makes the whole gun feel less like a toy and more like a real firearm. I also swapped in a tromix trigger group, very sweet and tromix stock adaptor. I'll post some pics as soon as my buffer tube and castle but show up, I am also waiting on a oversized mag release from t&n and a mag baseplate.

I was looking at those in Centerfire's catalog just the other day and thought I'd better get one before they run out.  It appears Firebird no longer has the long handguard on their website. (I still use 3" shells on occasion.)

Any chance you could give me a measurement of your barrel where the handguard gets tight?

I also have a pre-XN but don't know if its an early or late one.  It was purchased Dec 2012 from Centerfire.  It was one of Firebird's 922 Compliance Conversions.

Thanks.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I also just got a long side charging firebird fore end from centerfire. I have to say its a very nice peice. Have t installed it yet tho. That's for tomorrow projects. I couldn't pass up the deal for $200. I was goin to buy the same style but from T&N but would have cost $100 more. And cost was the only reason I we t with the firebird. I'm a budget builder and have alot of stuff goin on at once. So any little bit helps

I started filling out the info to order one from Centerfire and noticed it now says for XN guns.   What is the change and will it still work on my pre-XN gun?

Edited to add:  

I think I may have found the answer.  Firebird Precision is selling some of their parts online at www.3gunusa.com    They list the short handguard versions as XN and not XN.  In the ad it notes "This component is made specifically for XN shotguns and will not fit the AKDAL shotgun."

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Ya flatland I have a pre xn gun too and I got the pre xn handguard. It's great in every way just a tight fit over the last 1/3 of an inch of the barrel. I'm going to file it a bit next time I strip the gun.

Jim I didn't see the full size on your site or I would have ordered direct from you. I even called and left a message with your sales dept and never got a call back. I prefer the new style larger holes to the smaller slanted ones