Hello Guys:

I am writing to ask which companies make piston driven AR style rifles (as opposed to direct impingement). I'm not wanting to get into which system is best. I just understand the piston cycling system, like the AK-47 uses, better.

However, just today I saw an article about there being a controversy about M-4s with D.I. not always being reliable in the field according to soldiers. It just seems like the piston system requires less cleaning/maintenance.

Just wondering. Thank you.

While I love AK's, I like AR's as well. But if your going to buy one, then get a good one. Many people dont realize that you will likely run out of ammo before your gun takes a shit on you, as long as you do your part. Run it wet and it should be fine.

And for what its worth, every gun has its flaws. Thats why its a good thing to learn their weaknesses and capitalize on their strengths regardless of the weapon.

• Like 5

Adams arms makes piston uppers and conversion kits. If you happen to live near a Fleet Farm, the Huldra rifles are just rebranded Adams rifles and uppers. I've got an Adams conversion in 5.56 and a Huldra in 5.45x39. So far, I've got no complaints. They sure are easier to clean than a DI rifle.

• Like 1

Hello Guys:

I am writing to ask which companies make piston driven AR style rifles (as opposed to direct impingement). I'm not wanting to get into which system is best. I just understand the piston cycling system, like the AK-47 uses, better.

However, just today I saw an article about there being a controversy about M-4s with D.I. not always being reliable in the field according to soldiers. It just seems like the piston system requires less cleaning/maintenance.

Just wondering. Thank you.

That article has a lot of politics behind it as well, it IS from the Washington Times after all! The whole situation in that case was a huge Fuster Cluck. Take just about any rifle that was NOT designed to be a machine gun (as opposed to an assault rifle) and you'll have problems with them too with long-term, sustained auto firing.

Military Arms Channel on FB has a good discussion going on about that from yesterday.

I bought the Ruger SR-762, it's chambered in Nato 762 (308). Just to mention a couple of great features..dual piston system and adjustable gas system. I put a Magpul stock on it and also did a trigger job on it, as the factory trigger leaves much to be desired. Ruger also has the SR-556, which the 762 model was adopted from. Say what you will about Ruger, but they stand by their products in a way that you don't see every day.

post-13516-0-85796000-1393163906_thumb.jpg

ARF.com has a whole section on piston driven AR's. I own a ADCOR that I'm good with but if I had to do it over I'd probably get a good solid base gun and use the AA conversion or just buck up for one of the more expensive piston driven AR platforms listed above. As a rec shooter I'll never have to worry about getting my guns dirty to the point they don't shoot. Even though I don't piss on my hands I still take the time to wash them after I take a leak, I take the same approach when it comes to cleaning my firearms.

post-1866-0-06647800-1393456973_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm
  • Like 2

I have about 10k rounds through my daniels defense which is di, never cleaned my gas tube, just saying... fyi if u want a piston buy an ak

I have a bcm that has never had any troubles. I like both the di and piston, but the Di seems to balance better. If your looking for a piston, I would stick to a good quality rifle. Lwrc, hk, etc.

Edited by Ethan M

Adams arms makes piston uppers and conversion kits. If you happen to live near a Fleet Farm, the Huldra rifles are just rebranded Adams rifles and uppers. I've got an Adams conversion in 5.56 and a Huldra in 5.45x39. So far, I've got no complaints. They sure are easier to clean than a DI rifle.

+1.

I have a Huldra Mark IV 5.45x39 complete upper and its been performing superlatively.

CIMG5562_zps5e8dfa40.jpg

CIMG5556_zpsf34d74fa.jpg

+1.

I have a Huldra Mark IV 5.45x39 complete upper and its been performing superlatively.

CIMG5562_zps5e8dfa40.jpg

CIMG5556_zpsf34d74fa.jpg

That thing is nice!

• Like 1

DI guns balance better for me. Cleaning them ain't no harder than my AK's. I still want a piston gun though, but I'm going to have to shoot one first.

Have you held a PWS MK1 MOD1? They are very well balanced (front of the magwell) and only weigh 6lbs 10oz. Extremely nice guns. If you watch gunbroker, a complete rifle can be had for $1500.

DI guns balance better for me. Cleaning them ain't no harder than my AK's. I still want a piston gun though, but I'm going to have to shoot one first.

Have you held a PWS MK1 MOD1? They are very well balanced (front of the magwell) and only weigh 6lbs 10oz. Extremely nice guns. If you watch gunbroker, a complete rifle can be had for $1500.

Never got to hold one. All the piston guns Ive got to play with are just what my local shop has. He has a big selection of AR's, but still fairly limited vs. what is available. I'll have to give them a look Sunny. Thanks for the heads up bro.

Buy an AK. The DI is only one of many issues the AR has.

The #1 biggest problem the ARs have is the hundreds of subpar factory built rifles and a million even worse quality accessories. People buy an AR and proceed to claim that an AR is an AR, so why pay big bucks for a Noveske, LMT, LaRue....etc..etc...when the Windham, Double Star...etc...etc... Is just as good.

They are not

• Like 1

Buy an AK. The DI is only one of many issues the AR has.

The #1 biggest problem the ARs have is the hundreds of subpar factory built rifles and a million even worse quality accessories. People buy an AR and proceed to claim that an AR is an AR, so why pay big bucks for a Noveske, LMT, LaRue....etc..etc...when the Windham, Double Star...etc...etc... Is just as good.

They are not

Yep. You get what you pay for. There is a reason some of them cost more than most. Buy once, cry once.

I shot many different piston guns and it took me a while to decided. Osprey add on kits to MR 556...I went with sl8/G36K conversion.The polymer frame makes it very light, around 5 lbs without a mag and you dont feel the piston cycling. Balance is great. Definitely went the pay once cry once route. Its the only piston gun I own...not counting AKs. I don't plan on buying another piston gun.

post-39691-0-09643700-1393198895_thumb.jpg

• Like 1