Would you buy a printed 3D Drum Magazines?

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a printed 3D Drum Magazines?

• No
    • Yes

Would you spend $120 on a 30 round drum that was 3D printed instead of the $320 drum from Alliance Armament?

I had to check the thread date to make sure this wasn't a necropost... NO ONE has bought an AA drum in years around here.

I would rather have the proven MD20 or or two CSSpecs steel magazines than another "also ran" drum. 

What SGL is talking about can be purchased here. On sale right now for $95.

http://www.mdarms.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_1&zenid=2rqf8mt7r4jpislporr2r9beg3

Here's an old forum friend running the snot out of gang of MD-20s.

• Like 2

We have and use a 3d printer for some stuff, the available materials for the small business/DYI guy will not hold up to the stress of a drum and recoil.

Yet.

I can see the tech advancing beyond expectations, with the introduction of new materials and machinery.

The current 3D printed plastic has less than 1/3 the tensile strength and 1/7 the impact strength.  If you look at fiber reinforced polymer which is used to make magazines and lots of other things like tools etc, it has embedded fibers throughout, but the 3D printer builds up the material in thin layers so it doesn't allow for fibers to span across the layers or intertwine thru the material.

Of course eventually these issues will be worked out and we will all be printing out M16 and HK91 lower receivers.

We have and use a 3d printer for some stuff, the available materials for the small business/DYI guy will not hold up to the stress of a drum and recoil.

Any facts to this?

Send me a .stl file, some $$, I'll print it, for you to test yourself.

• Like 3

The current 3D printed plastic has less than 1/3 the tensile strength and 1/7 the impact strength.  If you look at fiber reinforced polymer which is used to make magazines and lots of other things like tools etc, it has embedded fibers throughout, but the 3D printer builds up the material in thin layers so it doesn't allow for fibers to span across the layers or intertwine thru the material.

Of course eventually these issues will be worked out and we will all be printing out M16 and HK91 lower receivers.

Any ETA on that?

Any facts to this?

(clicks heals 3 times to get out of oz)

I'm gonna thread jack since this post is obvious bullshit...

That offer open to the rest of us? I have some very hard to find exterior automotive emblems that I've thought have having printed. Do you have a material that you believe will handle the test of time in an automotive environment and accept paint? For that matter, will any of those materials accept chrome? I have some experience with rapid prototyping (printed or otherwise) and I haven't found exactly what I'm after yet.

Edited by Maxwelhse

Any facts to this?

(clicks heals 3 times to get out of oz)

I'm gonna thread jack since this post is obvious bullshit...

That offer open to the rest of us? I have some very hard to find exterior automotive emblems that I've thought have having printed. Do you have a material that you believe will handle the test of time in an automotive environment and accept paint? For that matter, will any of those materials accept chrome? I have some experience with rapid prototyping (printed or otherwise) and I haven't found exactly what I'm after yet.

We use primarily PLA, it starts deforming/melting about 200*, it would take some filler primer & sanding to get a slick finish that looks good painted.

ABS is another material, we haven't printed much with it.

I'd be willing to try a file if you got one , how big is the part?

The part is small, maybe 2"x6"? That's the problem I've got. These are fairly intricate fender emblems and I'm afraid I'd never get it filled and sanded right. They have very light background textures that I think are fairly impossible to prototype accurate with the current technology that I've seen (maybe ABS would perform better?). Most everything I've experienced that is prototyped feels very porous and somewhat sandy.

That said, I have seen a several different functioning coil springs at specifically engineered rates. It really is amazing how the technology progressing.

I'm a new member to the forum today. A couple of months ago, I purchased a new dual-color 3D printer from MakerBot, with the idea of printing gun accessory parts. I don't mean parts to MAKE a gun, but to put ON a gun, like magazine finger rests, magazine spacers, and maybe even magazine round extenders, grips, and whatever else. I look forward to exploring what I can make for my new Saiga-12.

Here's a thread I posted to the Beretta forum about making a magazine spacer for my Beretta 102 .22LR pistol, which is no longer available, so you can't get parts:

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=105322

• 1 month later...

The high quantity 3D printers and premium materials, including metal are still to $$$ for most parts. The quality/price point is getting closer, but is NOT here yet.