Using an annular cutter to reduce muzzle diameter

I enjoyed your video (and your guts to be cutting metal in your kitchen!) but I was left wondering why you didn't clamp your rifle down...?

A couple of Bessy Clamps (choose your price range... I started at the bottom and those work great too):

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-BPC-34-4-Inch-Style-Clamp/dp/B0012YNJRO/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1393295401&sr=1-6&keywords=bessey+clamps

...and a few blocks of wood might make it a bit easier for you to work on things. I'm just throwing that out there for other Kitchen DIY guys.

The adapter is from CNC Warrior.  They are on the last page of the Tools > Cutting Tools section.  Item 25760 trims to 1/2" and comes with a choice of barrel mandrels.  Dinzag also sells something very similar a-la-carte.

I enjoyed your video (and your guts to be cutting metal in your kitchen!) but I was left wondering why you didn't clamp your rifle down...?

A couple of Bessy Clamps (choose your price range... I started at the bottom and those work great too):

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-BPC-34-4-Inch-Style-Clamp/dp/B0012YNJRO/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1393295401&sr=1-6&keywords=bessey+clamps

...and a few blocks of wood might make it a bit easier for you to work on things. I'm just throwing that out there for other Kitchen DIY guys.

I did!  I put a 2x10 on the side of the receiver and clamped both to the table using a couple of big C-clamps.  The table scooted a bit until I jammed it against the wall.  That Bessey clamp looks like it could have made a good ersatz checkering cradle when I was re-pointing some diamonds on another project.  I may have to look into that, thanks!

Edited by DrThunder88
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I will just use my lathe.

I think you know the point is that there is an option for those of us without one. No need to rub our noses in your good fortune.

I think you know the point is that there is an option for those of us without one. No need to rub our noses in your good fortune.

No rub intended

I just see things from a different point of view.

This method would work for a flash hider or other device where precise alignment is not an issue.

Cutting the barrel with a saw, then no muzzle crown wont give any accuracy

This would not work well with any precision device like a suppressor, just a couple thousandths in error and rounds strike the baffles.

I have a machinists piont of view, where precision dictates doing things right.

For the cost of the tools used....a gunsmith could do it right   so   why would you choose to do it that way?

Jim

I have used them to peel off a few Saiga rifle shrouds and it works very well and is extremely easy to use.

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/annular-cutter-25761.htm

No rub intended

I just see things from a different point of view.

This method would work for a flash hider or other device where precise alignment is not an issue.

Cutting the barrel with a saw, then no muzzle crown wont give any accuracy

This would not work well with any precision device like a suppressor, just a couple thousandths in error and rounds strike the baffles.

I have a machinists piont of view, where precision dictates doing things right.

For the cost of the tools used....a gunsmith could do it right   so   why would you choose to do it that way?

Jim

I was thinking those things too, but spelling them out adds to the conversation. On the other hand, if he doesn't plan to use a surpressor, or plans to do a lot of rifles himself, the additional cost of a crowning tool is probably worth while. Especially if he is sharing tools with a few friends. There is some satisfaction in DIY, and I'd be willing to bet almost every pro gunsmith who recommends the services of pro gunsmiths chose to do their own when they could before becoming pro. It's about knowing your capabilities.  

And another way to look at is like this: for the cost of paying someone else to do it, I can buy and keep the tools for my next project. 

For me- I'd probably have someone with a lathe do it if I plan to use a can. For a brake, then it's a closer call. It also depends on what I think of the smiths in my area. 

That's a good point about the crown, and I didn't realize I neglected to mention this.  The cut I made was about 1/8" in front of where the factory rifling ended.  The crown is essentially recessed behind the forward surface of the barrel, well away from the steel-on-steel violence.  That said, a smooth cut mill file leaves a surprisingly burr-free edge.  I didn't catch any fibers when I finished it.