Teach me about ak mags

Just got my first ak-47, actually an izhmash IZ-132. I know nothing about the mags as I am an AR guy. I see Chinese, Romanian, Bulgarian, Russian, metal, plastic, circle 10, Egyptian and all kinds of stuff.

This won't be my SHTF weapon but I don't want complete junk mags either. I hear circle 10 mags are the best, but damn, $45 for a mag?

Anyone know of good resources where I can learn? I've done the conversion and installed a bullet guide so I'm good on those.

Just got my first ak-47, actually an izhmash IZ-132. I know nothing about the mags as I am an AR guy. I see Chinese, Romanian, Bulgarian, Russian, metal, plastic, circle 10, Egyptian and all kinds of stuff. This won't be my SHTF weapon but I don't want complete junk mags either. I hear circle 10 mags are the best, but damn, $45 for a mag? Anyone know of good resources where I can learn? I've done the conversion and installed a bullet guide so I'm good on those.

I'm on my third AK and still haven't taken the time to learn the differences between all of these mags.  I'm looking forward to hearing the input the boys have on this subject.

any good eastern block metal mag will work fine, chinese are great for there smooth back. Everything else is really expensive so I just buy metal mags there cheap and reliable. Going to add 20 round tankers at some point as well I like my 20 round tapcos so much I am going to get some of these.

I think its more what do you like? What are they for? Just for range mags any will do what ever is on sale I think I have almost all new mags but the magpul and they all work just fine I think its more of the look then function.

The yugo bho mags are the beefiest I have seen, my russian steel 30's are lighter and easier to insert and remove in my rifle though so there are some small variations. The bakelite and poly mags are a bit spendy but if you have to have the look then go for it.

I wonder how many mags there are for the ak compared to the number of rifles. 10 to 1 or maybe 100 to 1. Wish some more 74 mags would get here at reasonable prices. rant off.

There are differences between the various surplus steel mags, for example the East German ones have the nicest finish in my opinion, while others are crudely painted, and some are just decent. Although they all look and function similar, some of them are clearly better made when compared closely. In particular I've noticed that the Hungarian tankers, Chinese, East German and Russian ones are higher quality than some others, but may be a little more expensive and harder to find. I just got into this recently so this is not based on a ton of use, mostly just looking at the construction and function testing.

I have a Romanian that needed it's follower to be filed to reliably move to the top because it had a bulge/burr in one of the corners.

The Circle 10 and US Palm are polymer but have steel locking tabs. I also modified my 10rd Saiga mag to work with a bullet guide. It works fine so I bought a second one.

Now that you all have shown me what I should get, who has the best prices?

apex gun parts is the cheapest at 10 romanian 30 rounders for 90 bucks, they may need some cleaning but should be functionally perfect. Dont be scared of ak mags that need a little love they are all built like tanks and will function well beyond yours and my lifetime. My yugos were cheap because of the fact they were covered in cosmoline, but a few hours and some wd 40 and they all look brand new unissued for 10 bucks a piece.

• Like 1

Now that you all have shown me what I should get, who has the best prices?

apex gun parts is the cheapest at 10 romanian 30 rounders for 90 bucks, they may need some cleaning but should be functionally perfect. Dont be scared of ak mags that need a little love they are all built like tanks and will function well beyond yours and my lifetime. My yugos were cheap because of the fact they were covered in cosmoline, but a few hours and some wd 40 and they all look brand new unissued for 10 bucks a piece.

Maknwar is right on all counts.   Apex is a great deal, and cosmoline is not an issue.

If you end up with a few rusty ones, this technique works well.   

I heard bathing them in cola works well for rust too, but will remove paint. I just treat the spots with balistol and fine steel wool cleans it right off. sgammo has chinese smooth backs for 14 bucks a piece as well, everything else is korean or overpriced.

Btw I will take cosmo over rusted any day, can wash it off with boiling water or soak it with wd 40 which liquifies it.

Edited by dashowdy

I heard bathing them in cola works well for rust too, but will remove paint. I just treat the spots with balistol and fine steel wool cleans it right off. sgammo has chinese smooth backs for 14 bucks a piece as well, everything else is korean or overpriced.

Btw I will take cosmo over rusted any day, can wash it off with boiling water or soak it with wd 40 which liquifies it.

I put mine in the oven.

hence the boiling water, heat melts it off.

maknwar those look real nice, you are paying for the fact they are russian, thats it, they are no better than any other com-bloc steel. If you got it spend it, but I would order 5 of those an d 10 of the ones from apex.

Got it, thanks.