Gathering the pieces for my first AR upper build.  So far I've got:

BCM receiver

DD 18" barrel

VLTOR low profile gas block

I also picked up a torque wrench, AR vice block.  Waiting on the barrel nut and barrel nut wrench to be delivered. I've got a YHM can ordered so I will be using the YHM qd mount flash hider.

I've watched plenty of youtube videos so I think I'm ready to start.  Doesn't look that hard (famous last words, I know...)

Any tips?

Legos for grown up kids. No real issues to worry about. I am assuming you have the upper parts build kit for forward assist, etc. Build it, shoot it, and enjoy. FYI.. Just like Saiga conversions, it won't be your last AR build. If you don't want it to become an obsession, ignore all those emails from Midway, Brownells, etc. :)

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 1

mid length.  Looking to get a troy 15" handguard.  I've got one on another ar and really like it.  RRA BCG chromed

That should be nice set up. Everything I have built to date has been carbine length. A Middy is next on my build list. Take a look at the Knight's Armament Corp. URX 3.1 series handguards. I love them. One screw removal yet solid as a rock.

• Like 1

the only thing that ever rattled me on working on the upper was getting the damn little pin in the gas block / gas tube. I found it easier get everything lined up then to put the pin in and then put the gas block on.

stands to reason because the only thing that kicked my tail on the lower was getting the double damn little pin that holds the bolt release paddle.

seems I'm not a fan of little roll pins.

• Like 2

the only thing that ever rattled me on working on the upper was getting the damn little pin in the gas block / gas tube. I found it easier get everything lined up then to put the pin in and then put the gas block on.

stands to reason because the only thing that kicked my tail on the lower was getting the double damn little pin that holds the bolt release paddle.

seems I'm not a fan of little roll pins.

yes!  That little f***ing pin!  If I had all the right tools I'm sure it would have been easier, but that was a pain in the ass!

post-35044-0-24150100-1393717180_thumb.jpg

Edited by mizombiekilla
  • Like 2

I believe in using lithium grease on the threads of the barrel nut

Very, very important.  I think I used something called 'anti-seize' grease.  Silverish colored stuff. 

I greased it pretty good.  I think that's why the barrel nut is shiny in the picture from me wiping off the excess that got squeezed out.

post-35044-0-24108900-1394053173_thumb.jpg

With 15" troy rail

YHM QD Flash Suppressor (waiting for ATF approval on YHM Sound Suppressor)

Leopold 2-8 scope

sorry for the crappy cell phone pic

Edited by mizombiekilla
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

weather was finally good enough to go out and shoot yesterday.  Good range trip, gun shoots better than me.  I feel like that first shot with a new build I'm always thinking "will this blow up in my face?"  Then the second shot is "did it cycle properly so I have a second shot?" 

It did cycle through and I had about 2 mags through it, the in started to malfunction.  Hammer pin was walking out.  I pushed it back in and it cycled fine.  I do remember thinking when I put the hammer in, it went in a lot easier than the other builds I did.  At the time I thought I was because I was getting better.  Now I'm thinking the spring is not as strong, not giving it enough tension.  And yes, double checked it to make sure it was installed correctly. 

Had an extra hammer spring so I put that in, and there's a lot more tension.  Much harder to get in.  I also ordered some JP anti-walking pins from Brownell's which maybe overkill at this point but better safe than sorry.

Edited by mizombiekilla
  • Like 1