Baby Glock Against Charging Moose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImgFG0kMQ88

From the video description...

Published on Feb 22, 2014

A man, age 51 with a life threatening heart condition (dilated cardiomyopathy), while snowmobiling out west with his son, comes upon a moose in the wild. Concerned that an animal attack might be about to happen, the site seeing experience goes bad when the moose, not wanting to be on camera, decides to charge. Coming over the snowmobile, the 1,000 pound bull attacks, kicking the Dad in the chest; the moose's intentions were clear. This was one angry animal attack. With only a hand gun to defend himself and his son, the Father fires a warning shot only to quickly fire 4 more to defer a 2nd attack...when animals attack.

Edited by SGL

The guy was stupid to advance on the animal.

I've only seen one moose in the flesh here in Washington, and it was the biggest animal I've ever seen. We were driving in a Silverado 2500 and it busted out of a frosty marsh just in front of us early in the morning as we went up a FS road to our hunting area. The damn thing's back was as high as the truck's roofline, and we were worried that it was going to flip around and bash the shit out of the truck. Instead it ran directly in front of us, stumbling and nearly faceplanting itself, then took off into the trees. Bits of frost and ice were kicking up off of its back. It was pretty cool to see, once the WTF moment was over.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 4

Was visiting my sister in Alaska in the late 70s or early 80s when her dog Jailer wanted out in the middle of the night. Was taking him out in her back yard when it looked like the whole yard moved. Dog barking like crazy and then I see the moose, damn thing was enormous and less than 10 yards away. Jailer and I agreed if he had to piss he could do it inside.

A 9mm wouldn’t be even close to what I’d wanted to deal with that thing.

I do think the guy brought on most of his own problems moving towards that moose.

Jailer and I wasted no time getting back in the house and even that big ass Great Pyrenees dog didn’t want to go nearer the moose.

The guy was a fucking idiot. He did have to kill it after he provoked the animal.

If you see a moose, try to avoid it. He had reverse on his sled and could have backed up and waited. They hate the noise of the sled.

He charged the moose and it didn't back down. Big surprise there.

This didn't have to happen but it did and the pistol saved his life after he acted like a total dip shit .

I hunt and live with moose in Montana. They don't fuck with you if you don't fuck with them.

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 8

That moose wouldn't have had to die if they had just backed up and let the animal go on its way. IT would have eventual left. I definitely wouldn't roll up closer to a moose that was obviously standing in the trail. Not smart.

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 5

Rule of thumb I learned while growing up in Alaska: the moose (or wildlife for that matter) always has the right of way. Advancing on a wild animal is only going to make things worse. Other than not advancing in the first place, I can't say I would have handled the situation any differently.

• Like 2

Sad to see a animal die like that (outside of hunting season)... Maybe keeping more distance would have been a good idea.

However an animal that size that is pissed, is right up there with a meth head wielding a knife.

Sad yes...especially since the moose is being a moose (a natural thing).  A meth head is a F'ed up POS that deserves being shot if wielding a knife.

• Like 1

A friend of mine is an OTR truck driver. Another driver with his company was driving through Maine, when a moose walked out next to the highway. The driver got the bright idea (?) to blow the air horn to get the moose away from the road. Well... moose don't like air horns! He lowered his own horns (antlers) and charged the truck!

Totaled the truck and the moose.

• Like 1

The guy was a fucking idiot. He did have to kill it after he provoked the animal.

If you see a moose, try to avoid it. He had reverse on his sled and could have backed up and waited. They hate the noise of the sled.

This didn't have to happen but it did and the pistol saved his life after he acted like a total dip shit .

I hunt and live with moose in Montana. They don't fuck with you if you don't fuck with them.

How do you know he had reverse on his sled? Not all sleds have reverse, my SkiDoo doesn't.

I seen a few when I was in Wyoming at moose junction, and up around Jackson when I was going through Grand Teton. They are a sight to see for sure. I knew better than to try and get up close and personal with a bull though. These guys are dumbshits, no doubt, but the pistol did its job. I hope they learned a lesson from this.

A friend of mine is an OTR truck driver. Another driver with his company was driving through Maine, when a moose walked out next to the highway. The driver got the bright idea (?) to blow the air horn to get the moose away from the road. Well... moose don't like air horns! He lowered his own horns (antlers) and charged the truck!

From hitting the moose? Or from the moose attacking a stationary truck. Either way impressive. Post #10 is exactly right.

Common sense aside, Wonder what glock version that was.. may shed some like on caliber effectiveness as it seems to have no problem dropping a large animal....

The guy did everything right..... if he was challenging the animal and WANTED to make it charge.... Textbook retard...

Common sense aside, Wonder what glock version that was.. may shed some like on caliber effectiveness as it seems to have no problem dropping a large animal.

I too would like to know this. I was surprised how well it stopped it.

From hitting the moose? Or from the moose attacking a stationary truck. Either way impressive. Post #10 is exactly right.

The driver was going about 70 mph. when he blew the horn, so maybe 40-ish for the truck and 20-ish for the moose? It was pretty messy, from what my buddy saw of the truck.  wacko.png

Common sense aside, Wonder what glock version that was.. may shed some like on caliber effectiveness as it seems to have no problem dropping a large animal....

The guy did everything right..... if he was challenging the animal and WANTED to make it charge.... Textbook retard...

IMO based on the moose's hind quarters buckling, one of the shots severed the spine, either through the neck or back. In that case it probably wouldn't matter what the caliber was.

The guy could have been from the east.. Most of us are used to game that runs at the sound of people.

If I see a deer on the trail I just yell and its gone in a flash. Seems to be that way for most animals this side of the country.

• Like 2

The guy could have been from the east.. Most of us are used to game that runs at the sound of people.

If I see a deer on the trail I just yell and its gone in a flash. Seems to be that way for most animals this side of the country.

Sounds about right.

If you didn't know that moose are likely to be aggressive - it might seem reasonable to chase it away.

Most wildlife spooks easily. He found out that not all does.

The driver was going about 70 mph. when he blew the horn, so maybe 40-ish for the truck and 20-ish for the moose? It was pretty messy, from what my buddy saw of the truck.  :wacko:

I can see a moose charging a truck. A few years back I saw a cow with a calf put an awful beatin on a car up near Greenville, Maine. I would've gotten off the sled and in the trees long before that moose in the video got that close. Too bad for both parties.

"Shit for brains" was the first thought that entered my head.  Advancing on a moose in an unenclosed vehicle with no reverse (I think...  Do snowmachines have reverse?  I've never ridden one, but it doesn't seem like a vehicle that would do reverse well).  What a maroon.  He put himself into a situation where he just about had to shoot it before it charged again and maybe killed him the next time.

But on another note, welcome to my nightmare.  The city of Anchorage is full of the damn things because the powers that be refuse to do (or allow) any pre-emptive culling, so instead we do it with motor vehicles on accident because they are all over.  Besides the constant peril of having one step into the road in front of you, there is also a not insignificant risk of walking out your front door and coming face to face with one, and just about everybody here has a story like that.  On multiple occasions, they have walked up my driveway, across my front step, and either down my other driveway, or into the neighbor's yard.  And when you are staring at one of them, even the 10mm seems small.

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder if there will be a followup video: 52 year old guy is charged with harrassing wildlife and taking game out of season.

Harassing wildlife, maybe.  Otherwise it was a pretty clear defensive shoot, at least to me.  I don't think dumbassery is specifically against the law yet.

"Shit for brains" was the first thought that entered my head.  Advancing on a moose in an unenclosed vehicle with no reverse (I think...  Do snowmachines have reverse?  I've never ridden one, but it doesn't seem like a vehicle that would do reverse well).  What a maroon.  He put himself into a situation where he just about had to shoot it before it charged again and maybe killed him the next time.

But on another note, welcome to my nightmare.  The city of Anchorage is full of the damn things because the powers that be refuse to do (or allow) any pre-emptive culling, so instead we do it with motor vehicles on accident because they are all over.  Besides the constant peril of having one step into the road in front of you, there is also a not insignificant risk of walking out your front door and coming face to face with one, and just about everybody here has a story like that.  On multiple occasions, they have walked up my driveway, across my front step, and either down my other driveway, or into the neighbor's yard.  And when you are staring at one of them, even the 10mm seems small.

Damn, you live in AK and never rode a snow machine? Just seems odd to me, not trying to bust balls. Yes some sleds have reverse but its not used for getting around on deep powder trails like the vid shows, more for backing off trailers and helping to get out of a slight pickle. There's no curvature on the back side of skis, so its hard for it to float like its going forward. 

I can't help but wonder if there will be a followup video: 52 year old guy is charged with harrassing wildlife and taking game out of season.

Harassing wildlife, maybe.  Otherwise it was a pretty clear defensive shoot, at least to me.  I don't think dumbassery is specifically against the law yet.

Based on his actions, I think a case could be made for poaching. The entire video makes no sense to me. Isn't part of the idea of things like trail riding to go out and enjoy nature? He had nature in the trail 100 feet or more in front of him and decided to provoke it to the point (he advanced on it TWICE) that he had to shoot it or potentially be killed. He did everything right to insure that he would have to kill it.

How do you know he had reverse on his sled? Not all sleds have reverse, my SkiDoo doesn't.

Not sure how you order sleds in FIB land. Out here, every skidoo in the mountains has an electronic reverse on it. We are saturated with Rev sleds out here since they came out and kicked the plastics off of the competition. I have never seen a single one without that option.

Do you have a SkiDoo Summit all the way over there? Must suck on the icy, winding trails. All you have to do on most every REV in the world is come to a stop and press the gray button. You can see the type of sled and the reverse button after he kills the moose and drives on like a pussy.