Baby Glock Against Charging Moose

The guy was stupid to advance on the animal.

"Shit for brains" was the first thought that entered my head.  Advancing on a moose in an unenclosed vehicle with no reverse (I think...  Do snowmachines have reverse?  I've never ridden one, but it doesn't seem like a vehicle that would do reverse well).  What a maroon.  He put himself into a situation where he just about had to shoot it before it charged again and maybe killed him the next time.

But on another note, welcome to my nightmare.  The city of Anchorage is full of the damn things because the powers that be refuse to do (or allow) any pre-emptive culling, so instead we do it with motor vehicles on accident because they are all over.  Besides the constant peril of having one step into the road in front of you, there is also a not insignificant risk of walking out your front door and coming face to face with one, and just about everybody here has a story like that.  On multiple occasions, they have walked up my driveway, across my front step, and either down my other driveway, or into the neighbor's yard.  And when you are staring at one of them, even the 10mm seems small.

Damn, you live in AK and never rode a snow machine? Just seems odd to me, not trying to bust balls. Yes some sleds have reverse but its not used for getting around on deep powder trails like the vid shows, more for backing off trailers and helping to get out of a slight pickle. There's no curvature on the back side of skis, so its hard for it to float like its going forward. 

That's what we consider a well established and groomed trail out here. There was plenty of space and time to back up and change directions. They were riding mountain sleds with long tracks that steer for shit on groomers and have fat skis to float in the powder.

It sounds like you are pretty new to snowmobiles. I grew up on a kitty kat, pantera, exciter and wild cat. Now I have a RevXP. Anybody who has spent more than a weekend on a sled could have backed out of that moose spotting. It happens here every week. We avoid them.

You always confront my opinions and I try to be nice. Well, I can only do that for so long with a FIB. You don't have a fucking clue about mountain sleds or moose. You seem like a real uncool motherfucker.

Common sense aside, Wonder what glock version that was.. may shed some like on caliber effectiveness as it seems to have no problem dropping a large animal....

The guy did everything right..... if he was challenging the animal and WANTED to make it charge.... Textbook retard...

A 9mm will drop a two year old moose. They leather up when they get older. Coat and hide are thicker along with a lot more muscle mass.

He did do everything right to save his life after acting like a typical tourist who could have spent a little time online to research the animals in the area like any ethical hunter and outdoorsman would have.

I rock a S chassis '98 MXZ 670. Wide ski stance of the MXZ with a 136"x1.5" Intense track on a tracks usa extension kit, quite easily handles our trails and ice. Couple that with 20-44 gearing (like going from 2.73's to 4.56's in a car) and it will climb a wall. Its basically a 136" Summit with wide ski's. Top speed is now limited to about 75mph but its shoulder pulling acceleration the entire way. No reverse though, even the new REV and REV XP sleds can be ordered without reverse.   

Edit; Oh okay, so now you know its a mountain sled too. Do you have another video showing the back half of the sled, that we haven't seen? BTW, I wasn't challenging you, I merely asked how you knew he had reverse?

You like to throw out alot of info as if you know it all. Well, you don't here because of the obvious missing info, you don't know for certain its a mountain sled and you spewed false info about the lacrosse boots being moved to china because of expensive union wages. Which was the only time I have ever "challenged" you. You can call me a FIB all you want, nothing new to me. Just get your facts straight before you open your very large opinionated and misinformed mouth.

Signed...

Real uncool motherfucker

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

I rock a S chassis '98 MXZ 670. Wide ski stance of the MXZ with a 136"x1.5" Intense track on a tracks usa extension kit, quite easily handles our trails and ice. Couple that with 20-44 gearing (like going from 2.73's to 4.56's in a car) and it will climb a wall. Its basically a 136" Summit with wide ski's. Top speed is now limited to about 75mph but its shoulder pulling acceleration the entire way. No reverse though, even the new REV and REV XP sleds can be ordered without reverse.   

Edit; Oh okay, so now you know its a mountain sled too. Do you have another video showing the back half of the sled, that we haven't seen? BTW, I wasn't challenging you, I merely asked how you knew he had reverse?

You like to throw out alot of info as if you know it all. Well, you don't here because of the obvious missing info, you don't know for certain its a mountain sled and you spewed false info about the lacrosse boots being moved to china because of expensive union wages. Which was the only time I have ever "challenged" you. You can call me a FIB all you want, nothing new to me. Just get your facts straight before you open your very large opinionated and misinformed mouth.

Signed...

Real uncool motherfucka

Not the second time. Anyway. Your sled sounds like it's set up nice for the midwest. It would sink like a brick in water out here. No shit. The sleds are set up differently out here and it's easy to distinguish them. You can tell it's a mountain sled by the narrow ski stance, plastics, angle of the handlebars, missing windshield and the factory installed mountain strap on the handle bar. His son is behind him and you can also see his sled. Since they were tourists renting sleds, you can safely assume by all the physical evidence on the video and by the location that they are both riding mountain sled with reverse. I have been on dozens of nice sleds out here and nobody in their right mind would order one without the reverse. You don't loose any weight from it as it is purely electronic. It pauses the motor and fires it in reverse rotation.

My father and grandfather were good family friends of the president and main shareholder of LaCrosse boots when they shut down their plant. They were both present at the speech and so were hundreds of other investors and workers. A grown man cried that day explaining to people that the unions drove them out of business and production would be sent overseas.

Dumbass... it was pretty obvious he saw it at a distance and still advanced on the moose. I ride a lot, and have damn near ran over/into moose on a few occasion coming around a blind corner. They usually run when you get too close if you are at speed... I wonder if he had just kept running, would it have ended differently. But, he stopped, got it's attention then advanced. Textbook on what NOT to do... in 40+ years up here, never had to shoot a moose I did not want in my freezer (prefer caribou anyways...)

Lots of posts on this all over the internet... and a LOT of people are slapping the guy on the back. Sad... just because you carry a gun does not mean you have to switch your brain off. It's the best thing going for you.This could have been handled much better.

• Like 2

Signed...

Real uncool motherfucka

Not the second time. Anyway. Your sled sounds like it's set up nice for the midwest. It would sink like a brick in water out here. No shit. The sleds are set up differently out here and it's easy to distinguish them. You can tell it's a mountain sled by the narrow ski stance, plastics, angle of the handlebars, missing windshield and the factory installed mountain strap on the handle bar. His son is behind him and you can also see his sled. Since they were tourists renting sleds, you can safely assume by all the physical evidence on the video and by the location that they are both riding mountain sled with reverse. I have been on dozens of nice sleds out here and nobody in their right mind would order one without the reverse. You don't loose any weight from it as it is purely electronic. It pauses the motor and fires it in reverse rotation.

My father and grandfather were good family friends of the president and main shareholder of LaCrosse boots when they shut down their plant. They were both present at the speech and so were hundreds of other investors and workers. A grown man cried that day explaining to people that the unions drove them out of business and production would be sent overseas.

Options add money to the overall cost. Its not about the weight.

About the boots, everything I read was they are in Oregon now and expanded their line in Japan.

Signed...

Real uncool motherfucka

Options add money to the overall cost. Its not about the weight.

About the boots, everything I read was they are in Oregon now and expanded their line in Japan.

You have to spend money to delete it on modern REV sleds. It is standard in every sled and you need to bypass. The only reason you would do this is if you were tweaking a sled and used a different clutch system or flywheel. Real frankenstein stuff that you see on a rare occasion here. Even on the heavily modified sleds that you see at elevation, they still have reverse. Skidoo does not allow you to delete the electronic reverse as far as I know. I just checked. Looks like it has been included at no cost and not an option since the gen 2 rev.

Lacrosse is headquartered in oregon along with danner that they purchased years ago. They produce over 80 % of their products in China. The 20% is mostly Danner boots and military contract stuff. All public information.

Damn, you live in AK and never rode a snow machine? Just seems odd to me, not trying to bust balls. Yes some sleds have reverse but its not used for getting around on deep powder trails like the vid shows, more for backing off trailers and helping to get out of a slight pickle. There's no curvature on the back side of skis, so its hard for it to float like its going forward. 

I don't like the machines or a lot of the people who ride them, and I hate two stroke motors with a passion.  There are few things that would interest me less than getting on a snowmobile.  I'd do it if I absolutely had to get someplace and it was the only way, but otherwise, no.  I also don't care for being out in the cold much, not for fun, anyway.  Every day at work is enough for me.

Edited by Netpackrat
Based on his actions, I think a case could be made for poaching. The entire video makes no sense to me. Isn't part of the idea of things like trail riding to go out and enjoy nature? He had nature in the trail 100 feet or more in front of him and decided to provoke it to the point (he advanced on it TWICE) that he had to shoot it or potentially be killed. He did everything right to insure that he would have to kill it.

That doesn't make any sense at all.  It's pretty clear from the video that he was just trying to spook it off the trail so he could pass; it was just an extremely stupid thing to do and he could have been killed.  I don't much care about the moose being dead as long as it didn't go to waste.  Having to eat an animal that was all amped up on adrenalin when it died is probably some form of punishment too.

As far as that goes, I think that even a charge of harassing wildlife would be a bit of a stretch, because again, the video makes it clear that he was just trying to ride down the trail, which he has a right to do.  There is a lot of real harassment of wildlife that goes on, especially out near some of the villages in the rural areas, and this isn't it.  A friend of mine who lives out in one of the villages and is married to a local native gal, recently told a story about how his inlaws chased this caribou all around, shot at it with a 10/22, and lassoed it around the neck with a chain.  Eventually my friend became aware of it and put the poor thing out of its misery with a single rifle shot.  He said he tried everything he could think of to make the meat palatable and it was still nasty, although the family that ended up with it was apparently happy to have it.  Troopers eventually caught wind of it, showed up in the village, and who do they go to see first?  My friend, of course.  But after getting the full story I don't think they bothered him about it anymore.