Slide porting problems?

Who here has actual experience with, or knowledge of what effects it has and just how much, on a pistol's reliability if one decides to drill or mill ports into the slide? I'm thinking about doing some strictly cosmetic milling on my Glock 17 slide and want to know at what point might I run into problems (if at all) with cycling normal store bought ammo. I figure once a certain amount of materiel is removed, lightening the slide, I may have to do some kind of spring adjustments. Any info or links appreciated. I looked around some on Glock Talk but couldn't find much other than argumentative BS in one thread I saw.

The question here is what effects will it have... not whether or not it is your opinion that it should or should not be done, or why. I currently do not have a ported barrel but would also be interested in info on that in conjunction with a ported slide.

TIA

never did it, I went with a longer barrel and ported it.

I had heard that the C model guns have more issues with getting gummed up but it just means a little more cleaning a little more often.

I have seen some race guns with the slide lightened (more than porting would need) but don't know if they had to run a different spring rate because most match shooters are using as light a load as they can get away with and still have the gun cycle. Wolff has a recoil rod and several spring rates for glocks.

• Like 1

Not really planning on removing that much material, just maybe drilling some varied sized holes in the side and maybe a couple cuts or slots in the top. Just enough to let the polished barrel show through for a flashy custom look. The guys at WeaponWorx.com do some pretty extensive work with large "gill" type cuts in the sides/ corners. and top. I wonder what kind of spring changes they have to do after that on a 9mm?

Here is all I've done so far... aside from putting lighter trigger springs in.

post-1293-0-82629700-1393543510_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-57085100-1393543544_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-18584200-1393543577_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

you know that glock slide has a really hard surface to cut on with a mill or a drill, you might be money ahead to find someone with an EDM to do it and maybe the barrel too / aka Magna Port.

some thing else to think about is with an aftermarket barrel you can sling cast lead bullets better cheaper than copper jacketed / factory and leave the factory barrel for carry.

• Like 3
  • 11 months later...