New to the Saiga world!

Hello everyone.  First I wanted to say that I know similar questions are all around like this, but it is tough sorting through everything and finding up to date answers.  I am also on my phone, which makes it tougher.  

Last night, I picked up a brand new SAIGA 12.  I bought it from an individual in its original box.  The gun is has never been fired, the factory 4 round mag, cleaning kit, and oil bottle I am assuming were all still wrapped up inside of the box.  It came with the manual and everything.  I also got a promag 20 round drum with it that had never been loaded as well.  I picked it up for what I thought was a steal at $650 for it all.

I understand that it is illegal to use the drum unless it has been converted, which I am in the process of figuring out how to do.  I am unsure of the best/cost effective way to do this, which is why I have come here for some insight.  I like the ATI stocks a little better because the have the finger grooves in the handgrip.  I can pick up one for about 80 bucks.  I would also like to get the Tapco handguard that is $40 off of amazon.  I know that Tapco has a furniture kit for $130, but I believe that I want to mix and match.  I am not sure how good the Tapco handgaurd is as opposed to some of the other rails out there though.  Heck, there may be a better stock for around that price range?

What is the best way to cover the pin holes?  Screws, gromets, existing pins?  Is there anything else that I need other than the stock?  My understanding is that I can cut my existing trigger guard, and I was thinking that was about it?  I have only watched 1 video on this, so I may be leaving some things out.   I am trying to get a ball park figure before I start to make sure I have enough in my budget.  I have been buying too much gun stuff here recently lol.

I was looking to get is a red dot on this as well.  I am not sure the best type of mount to go with.  I like the idea of it using the mount on the side of the receiver...but if you remove it, does it hold its 0?  I have saw the tiny holographic red dots that look like they would do great, but I don't know, this is my first shotgun like this.

I was also wanting to get a flash surpressor/ muzzle break, but not wanting to spend like 100 bucks on one...what is a good effective one on the cheap?

Edited by matholland618

welcome to the forum and the S-12 world. You have a lot of questions that all new owners face, what do I like and how much is it going to cost me. I got my conversion parts and other accessories from Carolina Shooting Supply. They have everything you could possibly want. The S-12 forum also has an e- store. Also check out the photos section, that may give you some ideas. Watch a few more conversion videos before you hack up a perfectly good shotgun. You got a good deal at 650, My advice is to stay away from cheap Tapco furniture. Also browse the forum a bit more, all of your questions have been gone over in depth. The search engine is your friend.

• Like 1

Here is a link to dome great tutorial videos. CSS also has quick shipping and gived forum members 10% off.

Put CSS in the promo box.

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/category_s/1821.htm

So I need their kit #1 since I will be going with my choice of grip/stock along with the Retaining plates right?  Which trigger guard do most prefer?  The Carolina SS, or Tromix DIY?  I am hoping to place an order today.  Do I only need 1, or do I need 2 of those?  Also, does that kit cover the holes made from the pins you pull out on the old trigger assembly?

Edited by matholland618

You'll get plastic hole plugs from CSS. They look like rivets when installed. Short of welding the holes, or installing an internal receiver block, its the best you're gonna get.

Unless you're dead set on all the parts in the kit, I'd suggest piecing everything together by yourself. Get what you really want, not what you're limited too.

• Like 1

I live in Illinois.  I have made my purchase from CSS.  I ordered $194 worth of stuff....I ordered the conversion kit #1, Phoenix KickLite, Hogue pistol grip, and a retaining plate.  Hope I got everything that I need...I want to add a quad rail of some sort, a red dot, and a mount still, but this is about all that I could shell out at the moment.

Hey guys!  Got my conversion parts today...I can't get the safety in since I have gotten everything in.  What is wrong?

You can cut the BHO plate for clearance to install the safety, or what I do is swing the BHO plate up vertical, install the safety, and then rotate the BHO plate back down and hook the spring with a pick (can also try the dental floss trick).

Post pics when it's done!

Edited by Spartacus

Hey guys!  Got my conversion parts today...I can't get the safety in since I have gotten everything in.  What is wrong?

You need to be a little more specific as to WHY you can't get the safety in. Is something blocking one of the holes,   is bottom of the safety not clearing the back of the trigger? Please advise exactly what the problem is.

I had to do what Spartacus had said.  I got that done, and got it all back together.  I went and shot the gun for the first time today (keep in mind the gun has never been fired at all)...I had some Winchester shells that came in the 100 brick for shooting clays.  The gun would not eject the old shell and put a new one in...tried 15 rounds and tried the 1 and 2 settings on the gas chamber and they all did the same thing.  Had to pull the bolt back everytime?

Could be the shells you want 3 dram 1 1/8 ounce as a minimum.. Are you using the factory magazine or the drum?

Confirm the puck is in the gas tube. If its after market, make sure its installed correctly.

Check your barrel ports in the gas block using a thin piece of wire bent into a small hook. You should have 3-5 of them, tell us how many. Clean them if they are plugged.

When I took it out I was using the mag. The shells I was using are winchester 2 3/4 1 1/8 8 shot.

I wouldn't think the holes would be plugged but I don't know the nature of these guns. I will check on that tomorrow and let you guys know. I don't know what you mean by the puck though. I didn't change that stuff only the trigger group and rear stock.

Rated muzzle velocity is needed to no dram equivalent.  How many fps?

The drum is a mag too.  I assume you mean factory 5 round mag?  Read about friction reduction.

You have lumped many questions into a single thread.  Try making multiple, focused threads, but before you do, use google to search the forum.  You need to read. 

Everything you need is already addressed MANY times on this forum.  Enjoy the process of gradually learning about this stuff.  Slow down and learn, or likely be stuck with a bucket of parts and mags no one wants.  

WELCOME!  big_smile.gif