Obligatory "I screwed up my bullet guide" thread. Suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community. I purchased a Saiga 7.62x39 rifle from a local shop here in Washington, and then set out on the journey of converting it to not being stupid. Here's a picture if you're interested.

fqrnoCM.jpg

This image is a little bit after the conversion process with the grip and before I finished threading the barrel and attaching the compensator and the bullet guide.

Anyways, so, an idiot (myself) took his time drilling out the hole for the bullet guide screw, and then took his time with the tap, and, lo and behold, I broke it off inside of the gun. As seen in the picture below, it wasn't entirely flush.

k5xRHwn.jpg

Now, that wouldn't have been bad, except I asked a friend for some help. He didn't have the tap extractor, and it was the weekend so we were in a hurry, and he suggested he take some JB weld, and use the broken tap as a seat for it, and put the bullet guide in. So, in a hurry, and once again, an idiot, I told him to go for it, and we let it sit overnight.

Next morning I take it out shooting, and it has some issues at first cycling, but starts operating wonderfully. The next magazine I insert, however, is loaded with this old surplus ammo. It cycles a few times, and then I get a jam. I look in and the bullet guide's flat front is catching the tip of the bullet. So, I think nothing of it and unjam and cycle a few more times, firing perfectly. Then, a bullet gets lodged underneath the bullet guide and it pops the guide out.

So, this is where I'm at. My guide is out, covered in JB weld, and I don't know where to go at this point. I have thought about taking a punch and trying to punch out the tap, but I don't know how much the JB weld complicates things. I don't have access to a welder either and can't get the darn thing welded on proper. My other option is to try the JB weld again, and put it in more contact locations, AND round off the front of the guide so that it isn't catching on anything anymore.

I did a lot of searching on the forums, and saw that there were conflicting opinions between people who have done it, cycled 4000 rounds and made it work just fine, and I've seen other people go on and on about how horrible it is and that those who do it should kill themselves.

This all being said, I'd greatly appreciate any input you guys have. Ideally, since I work in the city, I'd like to work on it this weekend when I'm on the countryside, but I've learned my lesson not to take shortcuts!

PUNCH THE TAP!

That will smash the cut threading on it, and it will drop right out..

THEN...

Dremel all that nasty JB weld off your bullet guide, and reinstall it.

IF YOU ARE LUCKY... when you punch the tap, you can RETHREAD with the SAME THREADS and it will be just fine... if not... one step larger and you are good to go.

:up:

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I went ahead and placed a tap extractor for pickup. It was dead cheap, like $10. I'll go ahead and dremel off that JB weld around the bullet and see if the extractor will work. If not, I got a nice punch ready to go.

I really appreciate it, and look forward to posting my build when all's good in the hood :P

PUNCH THE TAP!

THEN...

IF YOU ARE LUCKY... when you punch the tap, you can RETHREAD with the SAME THREADS and it will be just fine... if not... one step larger and you are good to go.

:up:

This is the best way to remove your broken tap. I too have gotten careless and broke a tap and spent hours trying to figure out how to remove it even though I had read in this very forum to use a hammer and punch. It literally only took three hits and it shattered the broken tap after which I was able to use the threads I had already cut. I chased the threads with another tap just to clean them up.

Where do you live? If you're in the Kitsap/Gig Harbor area, PM me and I can help you out if you need it.

It's funny you mention that, but I'm from the Bremerton area. I live in the city now though. I got everything resolved now, but thanks for the offer!

PUNCH THE TAP!

THEN...

032.gif

This is the best way to remove your broken tap. I too have gotten careless and broke a tap and spent hours trying to figure out how to remove it even though I had read in this very forum to use a hammer and punch. It literally only took three hits and it shattered the broken tap after which I was able to use the threads I had already cut. I chased the threads with another tap just to clean them up.

And thanks! This did the trick. Popped out and chased, and all was good in the hood. If I hadn't of left my phone at my apartment I would upload some finished product pictures! But that will have to come later. The tap extractor helped a little in getting that JB weld shit loose.