I am looking to get Saiga chokes for 3 Gun. I am looking at the SGM 3 pack with mod, full, xfull. But I usually use a Benelli with skeet, IC, or LM ?? So what chokes would work best in a Saiga/Vepr for 3 gun? I can not see using more than mod? Especially if slugs are on the stage. Thx!

T

Obviously depends on the stage.  I use IC most of the time.  We shoot lots of flying clays at our matches and IC is a lot more forgiving than modified.  About the only time I use modified  if I think the best way to shoot a stage is to take a shot at a steel target at a longer range, or steel  targets are partially obscured by a no shoot.  However, modified vs IC does slow me down on the rest of the stage.    I rarely but occasionally cylinder if it's all close range  steel.  Also a comp makes a huge difference and there are some threads here on how to use a comp with chokes.  If I could only have one choke it would be IC. I can't imagine ever needing full or extra full so I think the set you are thinking about won't be all that useful.  Since we are using mag fed we can easily load the mags with various rounds depending on the stage layout. Rather than mess with the chokes, I spend more time planning mag loading to match the stage --   I might have 7/8 oz  slugs,  #7 birdshot, #4 high brass, and a #6 Flight Control 3" Turkey load all in the same magazine.

• Like 1

Obviously depends on the stage.  I use IC most of the time.  We shoot lots of flying clays at our matches and IC is a lot more forgiving than modified.  About the only time I use modified  if I think the best way to shoot a stage is to take a shot at a steel target at a longer range, or steel  targets are partially obscured by a no shoot.  However, modified vs IC does slow me down on the rest of the stage.    I rarely but occasionally cylinder if it's all close range  steel.  Also a comp makes a huge difference and there are some threads here on how to use a comp with chokes.  If I could only have one choke it would be IC. I can't imagine ever needing full or extra full so I think the set you are thinking about won't be all that useful.  Since we are using mag fed we can easily load the mags with various rounds depending on the stage layout. Rather than mess with the chokes, I spend more time planning mag loading to match the stage --   I might have 7/8 oz  slugs,  #7 birdshot, #4 high brass, and a #6 Flight Control 3" Turkey load all in the same magazine.

I could not agree more Malcolm! Great post. I do the exact same thing. I run low base 6's and skeet in the M2 out to 20 yards and it really lets me firewall the throttle! I need to pattern this thing. I just got it Friday. I may just buy the mod choke with the ability to ad a comp from CSS. I wish SGM made an IC choke........

Thanks again for your insight

T

My Saigas are threaded for Rem chokes and I almost always use Mod.  I also carry a Diffusion choke for the close stages with no steel (and the charcoal stage at the Nordic match) an IC and a Light Full.  I've seen many times that a shooter can't take down long steel or a star with IC and it kills the stage for them.  You can still shoot fast with a Mod, you just need to learn how.

Doug

• Like 1

Chokes are like having more tools in the box.  You can never go wrong.  Taran Butler won the 3 Gun Triple Crown shooting a Saiga with the Russian Chokes.

By properly matching shot shells to chokes you are able to do many things.   For example:  Plate rack, 25 Yards, with a skeet choke and 1 1/4 oz loads, #71/2 shot,1350 FPS, you can knock down two plates at a time!  Just aim between them!  We were doing this at the LaRue Match in Texas.

You have to know what your chokes will do (pattern) and how to use them with various shot loads as to what their effective range will be.

Successfully shooting the shotgun these days means the difference between being a zero or a hero!

Like Doug said, our barrels are machined for Rem Chokes.

Jack

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No problem.

I would say that internal reaming is better, but this is pretty easy and cheap and you don't have to wait a while to get your gun back.

someday I may take my shotguns with me while visiting portland family and see if R&R will do the work while I wait. It would be cool to meet those guys anyway.