FWIW I just ordered a case of Red Army Standard and confirmed that it is still Romanian manufacture - so currently there is one other bulk importer of steel-cased 7.62x39 other than Russia.

That's a good point. Forgot RAS ammo wasn't Russian.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are going to panic... do it early.  

Eventually we are all going to have to come to the realization that your not going to get ammo at 10 year ago prices anymore. Welcome to the new norm. Gun powder for consumers will be a thing of the

It's talk like this that starts the panic wheel in motion. Use your head and don't panic. It will drive up the price for all of us. I swear, this country is never going to get used to crisis. It's al

FWIW I just ordered a case of Red Army Standard and confirmed that it is still Romanian manufacture - so currently there is one other bulk importer of steel-cased 7.62x39 other than Russia.

Despite this so-called "scare", just about everybody seems to be in stock and prices have not raised.

There's something to be said about having an overall smaller market share in 7.62x39.

Now if the Romanians can just get some damn Makarov ammo coming this way.. Supposedly they will be exporting that soon as well. I'm still sitting on a large pile of the Russian LVE stuff.

Guess I spoke too soon - it's available.

It seems to be the Russian stuff is flying off the shelves. My guess is it is speculators hoping to sell high if Obama bans imports. Interesting that the Red Army Standard is Romanian, Ironically SGAmmo claims it is made in the Ukraine. Let us know how it shoots. I have been wondering about that ammo and how it compares to the other manufacturers in performance.

I had some of the old Romanian Hot Shot 7.62x39 and 5.56 a couple years back. The 5.56 was especially good and was billed as being equivalent to SS109. Neither had any problems.

Hopefully the current RAS ammo isn't Ukranian. I passed on some Ukranian white-box stuff a little bit back because it was marked as corrosive. The Romanian stuff is supposed to be still lacquered and sealed.

JG Sales said the RAS is still Romanian.

I still don't believe anything is going to be banned by Obama, but I'm doing my usual stock-ups and realized that I had five 7.62x39 rifles and only two 5.56, so it makes sense to buy some more 7.62x39 before I start piling on the 5.56 again.

Edited by mancat

Chris Wallace just announced on fox that the sanctions would not effect trade between the united states and russia. Hopefully this means commercial ammuntion exports will not be hurt, I take it that is what this means.

Edited by dashowdy

"Wanting to get the scoop straight for the horses mouth, I called the owner of Wolf Ammo (which is an American company by the way) this morning to see what I could find out about the status of imports. I was told that ammo is “on the water”, as are VEPR AK’s, and is headed towards the United States as I type this. I was also told that they have heard no news from Russia that their export agreements have been canceled or otherwise impeded.

Wolf imports ammo from a number of countries including Germany, Taiwan and Serbia — not just Russia. I was informed their corporate planning includes contingencies for events such as what’s currently transpiring in Russia. In short, they assured me that ammo will flow to the U.S. as Russia isn’t the only source of affordable x39 ammo in the world. Wolf isn’t going to close up shop should Putin halt ammo exports, they’ll simply source it elsewhere.

About the only thing that will change is the price, and that’s our own fault. Look at the current state of .22LR ammo. People continue to mindlessly panic buy the popular rimfire cartridge despite the fact manufacturers continue to produce it at the same volume they always have.

Again, we’re our own worst enemy at times."

- See more at: http://www.thebangswitch.com/is-the-x39-world-coming-to-an-end/#sthash.oK7k0mSc.dpuf

• Like 2

thank you sir I feel much better, gonna eat me some steak tonight. also prove james yeager deserves biggest douche in the universe nomination.

You didn't actually listen to that idiots video did you?        Wait......you did beaten.gif

Importers are about as reliable sources of info as distributors, flip a coin.

How many times have we heard of large shipments of Saigas incoming that never materialized?

Ammo is at the current "normal" price, buying now isn't a panic move its just one more reason to do so in particular if your preferred ammo IS made in Russia and only in Russia.

I am suprised the bulgarians dont do commercial ammo, they are dirt poor and have lots of tooling left over from the iron curtain days. I would love to always buy more ammo, I just dont need it right now and I already picked up a crate of 7n6 a month ago. Wonder how many millions of surplus are left?

• Like 1

I gave up on accruing a big stockpile of 308--too pricey. Besides for the terrain i live in 7.62x39 should do fine for my needs. But man, if i see some for a really good price i cant be held responsible for my judgement. Lol.

Eventually we are all going to have to come to the realization that your not going to get ammo at 10 year ago prices anymore.

Welcome to the new norm. Gun powder for consumers will be a thing of the past. It is the first thing that will go in a trickle down process

of eliminating ammo all together to the general public. It's black and white. This is gun control of the future.

• Like 4

Went back by Selway today, and they had Wolf, RAS, and Brown Bear in stock, and more GT on the way.  If it's in store, it's $10 cheaper than the website.  If it's in stock on the site but not in the store, $1 to ship it to the store.  haha.gif

I grabbed a case of Wolf and called it a day.

Edited by Lone Eagle

Never go full retard!

lol Simple Jack

Got a case of Wolf from Sportsman Guide for 215 shipped.  Grabbed it cause it was a good deal and a sprinkle of, "if this shits sells out cause of panic hoarders and I run out, I'm gonna be pissed"

• Like 1

I gave up on accruing a big stockpile of 308--too pricey. Besides for the terrain i live in 7.62x39 should do fine for my needs. But man, if i see some for a really good price i cant be held responsible for my judgement. Lol.

I have a few cans of it and enough components to reload a considerable amount it is just an old habit of mine not to use any that I am unwilling or unable to replace. Most of it I bought when 308 could be had for 30 cents a round or less.

I bought all my ammunition years ago with few thousand rounds worth of 7.62x39 and 7.5x54.

I thought too much political problems in future, so had made case to my wife to spend savings on rounds instead just before Newtown.

One of best investments I have made, but wish I have more rifles and pistols for calibers.

Yeah, I spent a small fortune the day after Newtown. Very glad I did.

Except for damn 22lr. Didn't see that one coming.

a couple years back, if I looked in my closet and saw a couple bricks of .22LR, it meant I haven't been shooting often enough. lesson learned.

Lesson learned for sure. Had 4 bricks at the start of this crap. Federal 525 pack. I bought one every time cabelas would put them on sale for $16. Figured I could always grab a box or two from Wal-Mart if I really needed it.

Wont make that mistake again. Its the only round I can't reload and is the one I have the least of right now.

Lesson learned for sure. Had 4 bricks at the start of this crap. Federal 525 pack. I bought one every time cabelas would put them on sale for $16. Figured I could always grab a box or two from Wal-Mart if I really needed it.

Wont make that mistake again. Its the only round I can't reload and is the one I have the least of right now.

I have a friend who has been squirling it away since 2008 for SHTF situation, wish I woulda listened to him back then amazing.gif

The cheapest 22 lr ammo listed on Slickguns right now is Eley is $0.36 a round.  I cannot believe the run on this stuff.  You can get .223 or some 5.56 ammo for about $0.42 a round.  They can keep their 22 lr rounds for now.