Affordable 5.45 under 800?

Title says it all.  I can't find anything worth getting out there.  I was dead set on a saiga but for the prices out there I'm not going to buy a bare bones and then have to outfit it.  I also looked at the Waffen Werks but the reviews coming in now say that the American made receiver is too tight and makes them less then reliable as a battle rifle.  At this point I may just pull the trigger on a tantal and call it a day.

As a IZ-240 owner who got one when they were under $400 I don't know what to tell you. I have been looking at the waffen works B-grade 74's from classic pretty hard. Eager to hear what others have to say about them. I love my saiga 545 (should post some updated pics) and feel for those who missed out on the affordable to buy and convert era. Affordable on my budget anyway. I think I was the first, maybe only member that got a iz240 that keyholed (due to an out of spec barrel I'm told) so I'd like to hear any issues related to the waffen works.

Get the Tantal ASAP.

From what I've seen, you won't regret it.

They folders were selling for the same as fixed just before the "panick".

Get the Tantal ASAP.

They folders were selling for the same as fixed just before the "panick".

Edited by Sim_Player

If I can get a tantal I will. I have read too many reviews on the waffen being too tight and jamming a lot.

I don't see a lot of optic mounts on the t antals but I believe most standard dust covers with rails will fit it. I have a very nice AT but the ammo is too s pendy for my budget.

Widener's has Bulgy 74s for under $600, but they're Century builds w/ non-chrome barrels. 

Other than that, if you're chomping at the bit for a 5.45, it may just be worth it to you to grab an IZ-240 in spite of the fact that the prices are sky-high on them. You'd still be well under 800 even after a conversion, and it'll still be better than anything else you get in that price range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you can, the InterArms/High Standard Tantals are the way to go. I have one, came with chromed bore, US receiver and just enough part changes to pass 922r.  Not sure what they are going for now, had mine a few years already.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I too have had the 5.45 bug and have watched the WW and other options. Was also considering a Tantal from J&G but in the end found a Saiga IZ 240 for less than $600 out the door. After looking at all the lesser expensive dealers on line, the reality here is by the time I pay shipping, FFL fees and sales tax on the transaction (good ole Washington State tightened that loop hole), it is just as easy to get it from a local dealer in the long run.

Now to finish deciding which parts I want to use in converting this and another Saiga 7.62 X 39 sporter I picked up.

Edited by Inspector 12
  • 1 year later...