New to the Saiga community and to the AK family. I am looking forward to learning from you all.  I carried the M-16/GAU/M4 for over 26 years. Since I don't know AKs that well, I thought I would ask the "experts".  If I were using my AK for home defense, is there anything wrong with having a round in the chamber with the safety on?  Does the safety physically stop the hammer from striking the firing pin? 

I hope to learn more about this weapon system as I pick my saiga 7.62 X 39 today. Thanks!

The safety does not stop the hammer from striking the FP. But it does prevent the trigger from moving enough to release the hammer. I keep my SAM7 with a round ready to send. The only problem would be with children IMO. Just keep it out of sight/reach but still readily accessible. Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Mine is grown and gone so that is not in the equation.  I don't keep one chambered in my shotgun as it is not drop safe so most likely would not keep one chambered in this but you just never know.  I have a feeling between optics and ammo my bank account will feel the hit...lol. 

Welcome aboard!  I just leave mine with a full mag......that way they have the pleasure of hearing the beautiful sound of an ak being chambered right before I make a mess in the house.

• Like 4

Yes. The sound of the action is very distinctive. And worth the effort.

Welcome to the board. Just a warning though. Been an AR man for about 15 years and the AK platform is straight addicting. Do a full conversion. You will be glad you did.

Mine is grown and gone so that is not in the equation.  I don't keep one chambered in my shotgun as it is not drop safe so most likely would not keep one chambered in this but you just never know.  I have a feeling between optics and ammo my bank account will feel the hit...lol. 

Just do what you feel comfortable with. Stick around, and you'll learn all you really need about these weapons.

Well, picked it up tonight and spent some time going through it.  I really want to keep it simple (famous last words I am sure). Honestly, I just don't have a place to go to shoot it as much as I would like to.  I do think I want to add the bullet guide and get it to accept AK mags.  That and a red dot should be enough as the trigger pull really isn't as bad as some would have you believe.

Welcome aboard!  I just leave mine with a full mag......that way they have the pleasure of hearing the beautiful sound of an ak being chambered right before I make a mess in the house.

Thanks for the welcome. I actually subscribe to the sound giving them something to shoot at but you are really correct in the sound being enough to cause an extreme pucker factor...lol.  Cant wait to giver her a test run.

• 3 weeks later...

OK..got the bullet guide in...whew...I think I measured like 5 times before I drilled.  Went to tap the hole and the tap was really small so the T I had wouldn't work. I tapped it using a power drill on slow speed and a lot of oil. ..It worked perfectly (whew).  I filed down the latch but don't know if I filed enough off.  The latch holds the AK mag in and it will cycle but it doesn't "snap" in like it used to. I think the latch may still be to long.  Now for mags, optics, site tool, and mount.   MAKE ME STOP!!!!! 

OK..got the bullet guide in...whew...I think I measured like 5 times before I drilled.  Went to tap the hole and the tap was really small so the T I had wouldn't work. I tapped it using a power drill on slow speed and a lot of oil. ..It worked perfectly (whew).  I filed down the latch but don't know if I filed enough off.  The latch holds the AK mag in and it will cycle but it doesn't "snap" in like it used to. I think the latch may still be to long.  Now for mags, optics, site tool, and mount.   MAKE ME STOP!!!!! 

If you ever have to do it again this will make it much easier.

Properly JB Weld the BG into position, let it set over night.

So much easier to tap when it already held in place forever.