Thanks guys. I do have AAA, so maybe I'll check with them. I've been using Madrid as the destination, I know there's probably other airports in Spain, but I don't know what they are, I guess I should find out.

So I have to have a visa to go there, even if all I'm doing is getting drunk, not working?

Yes, you need a valid US passport and a visa to enter and leave a foreign country in my experience.  Your Visa will call out dates and purpose of the visit even if it is not business related.  When you enter the country they are likely to ask where you are staying during your visit.  If you stay at a hotel they will ask for your passport too.  Most countries don't let strangers run wild across their borders and soak up their social benefits like the US does.  They want to know why you are there and how long you will be and what day you are leaving. 

Good luck on shopping out the best price.  A travel agency can help you aquire the required visa and airline tickets.  You should have your passport already.  It takes about 6 weeks to get one when you file but they are good for 10 years.

Depends on the country. You do need a passport anywhere outside of US but you dont need a visa for EU, or most countries in Europe. Russia requires a visa a head of time but not EU. Hell even Turkey has an automatic Visa. When you land you pay $20 for your Visa at the customs counter. EU just stamps your passport at entry and exit. When you enter a country customs will ask you general quastions. Where you are staying and how long and why. And no one takes your passport. You can have the hotel put it in a safe but they certainly dont take it from you. I cant tell you how it is in S. America or Africa or Asia but I can tell you that there is no such things from Spain to Poland and from Sweden to Italy.  

WHen I landed in Paris they asked where I was going. I said Holland.

How? By car!

Will you be comming back? No.

That was it. The next time I flew directly to Holland and they asked similar questions.

Where are you staying? - With friends

Whats your business here? - Vacation

How long will you be staying? - 2 weeks.

Thnak you, Enjoy your stay

DONE.

No one else ever asked me anything. In any country and I went through quite a few. France, through Belgium and into Netherlands. From there into Germany, Denmrak and Sweden. And then back to the Netherlands

No one takes your passport because thats your identity and your documents.

Edited by Arik

If you fly into Amsterdam do not fuck around. I was flying home through there and ended up with a muzzle in my ear attached to a rifle held by a very attractive yet stern looking female security officer.

Ummm....ok!?! What did you do? I get my bags and go to customs for a quick Q&A and Im done.

To this day I don't know. I was wearing a beat up flight jacket, watch cap and listening to some music while pretty much wandering around aimlessly waiting for my connection. Next thing I know my ruck is being pulled off my back and its hello nurse. They dug through mu pack muttered an apology and walked away.

Edited by reid17
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So I got my ticket a week ago, actually saved a little money booking late, which was kinda weird, but whatever. I leave on the 14th of this month.

Any tips on what to do about money? Travelers checks, visa debit card, us currency?

nobody takes travelers checks any more.

bring your debit and credit cards and use an ATM. usually the exchange fee is nominal, less than one of those exchange booths in the airport. unless there is a card reader, use cash to buy whenever you can. most grocery stores are just like in the US, so you can do your shopping without even talking to anyone if that's what you want to do.

if you have to let someone handle your card, use a credit card so you can dispute any fraudulent charges later on. we had someone charge several thousand dollars to our Amex card, we figure someone scraped the numbers from it while running the card at our hotel, but no way to know. Amex tossed out the charges without quesion

make sure to contact your bank and give them a list of what countries you are stopping in and where, or else they will probably auto lock the card on your first withdrawal from a Euro ATM.

oh yeah, and pick pockets are everywhere there. don't flash your wallet. keep it secure, and don't fall for the infamous "clipboard scams" popular at major airports and train stations - they'll have a cute girl with a clipboard pretending to collect donations. when you pull out your wallet, someone runs up behind and snatches it, and the clipboarder pretends to be shocked.

we had a girl try to run that scam on us by pretending to be deaf. she did it out in a tourist area. some time later we saw her again nearby, talking to a big east europe looking guy, completely normal.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

If you have time you can go to your bank and ask them to order you Euros. It will cost you but you can get a couple hundred in cash just in case. You can also do this at the airport but it costs more

So I got my ticket a week ago, actually saved a little money booking late, which was kinda weird, but whatever. I leave on the 14th of this month.

Any tips on what to do about money? Travelers checks, visa debit card, us currency?

Hey there hey! Don't buy money at the airport. Take your debit card and use an Atm that is connected to an actual bank. Check with your bank to see what they charge for int. Transactions. Let them know your cards will be used outside the Usa. If you don't they will be shut down.

You may be surprised to find int currency on ebay. Click us sellers and investigate their feedback. You can get close to bank rates at times.

Also, take a couple hundred us for a backup. I take one ounce of gold just for the James bond factor. No matter where you go, that gold will get you somewhere. smile.png

Atm is the way to go. Honestly, you will feel screwed over no matter where you go. We have it pretty good. Ok dollar, good wages and cheap goods.

No matter where I go, I always feel honored to back home in America.

Greetings from the polish, Slovak and Ukrainian boarder!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be okay. Here's some more pics.

Here's a giant piece of meat I got at this restaurant we've been eating at everyday. 400g is a lot of steak.

NCM_0083.jpg

Beaches in Puerto Santa maria

NCM_0085.jpg

NCM_0084.jpg

The second largest bull fighting ring in the world, supposedly. Its two blocks from my buddy's apartment.

NCM_0086.jpg

NCM_0088.jpg

Some old dude petting the metal bull in front of the plaza.

NCM_0087.jpg

Edited by elvis christ
  • Like 2

if you're actually in downtown Puerto, check out El Nino Perdio club... there were always a ton of Swedish girls from the English school there, ready & willing to try out their "American"...

there was also a really good Irish pub a couple blocks away that unfortunately I can't remember the name of... huge paneled windows in front. here I witnessed my first Spanish bar fight, where dudes spilled out of the bar slapping each other like girls in the street, started crying, and hugged

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2