Thinking of picking up an AK pistol to SBR. Zastava PAP M85 in 556 or an M92 in 7.62 x 39? I already have a 7.62 and like the inexpensive price for ammo. Thinking of using it for HD, truck gun and short range target shooting. Maintaining that 7.62 punch in a short barrel is a plus. On the other hand, 556/223 may be more available and less likely to penetrate walls in a HD scenario. Any advice to help me make up my mind? What would you do and why?

P.S. Telling me to get a half dozen of each won't help me decide!

I would just get a 7.62 and keep stock pilling ammo lol since you already have a rifle in 762 the mags should work in both. I prefer to keep weapons the same caliber as each other if they are of the same platform (ak 7.62x39, ar 556, etc). But with that said, I would love to have an ak in 556 that was converted to take ar 15 magazines. That would be the only way I would probably own a 556 ak though because I have a ton of ar mags.

Ps. Just get both lol

Edited by Ethan M
  • Like 3

Caliber consolidation is a huge plus. So is ammo cost. Availability is on par between both calibers (i.e, one idiot sends the nation into another damned panic). Plus 7.62x39 does very well out of short barrels, ive heard evidence to the contrary regarding 5.56. Its a no brainer to me, 7.62x39 all the way.

In fact at current prices get 2 x39 paps, sbr one and leave the other in pistol form. :)

• Like 3

One reason why you might want to hold off on the M85, is that Zastava is working on a version that will include a factory STANAG magwell.

Personally I think the M92 is the better option. It's lighter than the M85 (though a full 30-rd mag of 7.62x39 offsets that extra weight I suppose), and 7.62x39 retains most of its velocity and energy out of the 10" barrel while 5.56 doesn't.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Without getting too far into the weeds, the internal ballistics of the x39 are superior to the 556 from a 10" barrel. 

The most important number for short barrels is the case volume to bullet diameter ratio.  Pistol calibers (obviously designed to use in short barrels) have a large diameter bullet and a small case volume.  Rifles have smaller diameter bullets with larger case volumes.  It takes a long barrel to allow that extra powder to burn.

The x39 falls in the middle.  It's got the smallest case volume to bullet diameter of any common rifle cartridge.

Obviously this is the same reason the 300blk is a superior sbr cartridge.

Edited by Darth Saigus

Just looking at this from a legal perspective, most DAs would be overjoyed if someone defended their home with a class III weapon.  If not legal, you could be looking at civil, and who wants to get their sweet new SBR taken away as "evidence"?

For caliber, stick with 762x39.  

Yep the HD use of class 3 is not recommended.

I would not use the Pit Bull for HD even though it would be a great choice.  It is strictly a range toy unless (until) society collapses.