I went in to renew my concealed weapons permit yesterday and it was on the last day before it expired. Normally that wouldn't be a problem because I have always walked out with a new permit the same day after paying their fee and swearing I wasn't an ax murderer. Well sometime recently they decided they are going to take up to a month to do a background check and send it to you in the mail. And no, they won't extend the current permit for one more fucking minute while you are waiting. And even though they had the address and phone number of every permit holder they couldn't be bothered letting any of us know that they had changed their procedure. Being stuck with no permit for a month through no fault of your own would you....1. Carry concealed anyway...2. Open carry... or...3. Not carry at all?  I don't like any of these but I'm leaning toward number one, with just enough of number two to rile up the sheriff who's responsible for this fucked up situation.

Carry anyhow.  Should you need to pull this weapon, you won't give a shit if you broke this law.  

Check your local laws.  In CO, I believe it to only be a class ??? misdemeanor for this.  Which to me, since it's not a felony, wouldn't stop me from carrying under these circumstances.

• Like 1

I would expose this horse shit for what it is. If you have the time to fight it, do so. Or, as for help from your NRA or local gun clubs.

This is a shit deal that could get people killed.

If you can open carry in your state, get the biggest revolver you can find and wear it around cowboy style. That will make them happy that they screwed up the concealed carry permits. 

That's just nuts.

• Like 1

Weird...in our state they issue a temporary immediately that is good until the full one shows up in the mail.

Personally, I would cc anyway.

They do the same thing here, I think it has to do with the law being "MUST ISSUE" vs. "MAY ISSUE". Some fucked up shit none the less scorn.gif

• Like 1

I just called the sheriff's department to complain and they stated that their previous policy of no wait was just "a courtesy" that they no longer do. I said fine, how about the "courtesy" of at least trying to let permit holders know that your policy has changed so we can renew early. She said that information is posted on their web site. I told her to go look again because it says...."If you are applying for your first concealed pistol license, it may take up to 30 days to complete the background check before the license is issued."

I am applying for about my forth renewal, not my first concealed pistol license. She said..Oh, I guess we need to get that changed. She also said they don't have the "authority" to extend pistol licenses for 30 days. What? They are the ENTIRE Goddamn authority! Oh well, it looks like I'm going to be a major pain in the ass around town for their deputies for the next 30 days while open carrying. I'm going to love explaining to them how their boss put me in this position.

• Like 5

I just called the sheriff's department to complain and they stated that their previous policy of no wait was just "a courtesy" that they no longer do. I said fine, how about the "courtesy" of at least trying to let permit holders know that your policy has changed so we can renew early. She said that information is posted on their web site. I told her to go look again because it says...."If you are applying for your first concealed pistol license, it may take up to 30 days to complete the background check before the license is issued."

I am applying for about my forth renewal, not my first concealed pistol license. She said..Oh, I guess we need to get that changed. She also said they don't have the "authority" to extend pistol licenses for 30 days. What? They are the ENTIRE Goddamn authority! Oh well, it looks like I'm going to be a major pain in the ass around town for their deputies for the next 30 days while open carrying. I'm going to love explaining to them how their boss put me in this position.

Just curious.......does your state law say that the issuing authority "MAY"  or  "MUST"   issue?

• Like 1

I already OC on a regular basis...  So I'd just be in the open more than normal for a month.

Dogman, you've a legal Open Carry as an option open to you, to choose anything else is foolhardy, an dare I say, stupid.

If you play a stupid game an CC illegally, then you'd deserve a stupid prize if caught.

If you had no legal options, then I'd say to CC and take your chances.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 3

That's screwed up, there's been some times that my permit has gone as long as 11 months that I didn't renew it, walked in the door, laid down the $7.50, 5 minutes later, I'm outta there, but do it more than 2-3 times, and the nice ladies at the counter will call you on it. They will POLITELY inform you that the permit is for 12 months, NOT 22-23. Hey, money was tight, what can I say, I forget things. :) 

That's screwed up, there's been some times that my permit has gone as long as 11 months that I didn't renew it, walked in the door, laid down the $7.50, 5 minutes later, I'm outta there, but do it more than 2-3 times, and the nice ladies at the counter will call you on it. They will POLITELY inform you that the permit is for 12 months, NOT 22-23. Hey, money was tight, what can I say, I forget things. smile.png

Our permits are 5 years, I would hate to have to do it every year 010.gif

• Like 3

That's screwed up, there's been some times that my permit has gone as long as 11 months that I didn't renew it, walked in the door, laid down the $7.50, 5 minutes later, I'm outta there, but do it more than 2-3 times, and the nice ladies at the counter will call you on it. They will POLITELY inform you that the permit is for 12 months, NOT 22-23. Hey, money was tight, what can I say, I forget things. :)

Our permits are 5 years, I would hate to have to do it every year :ded:

Yeah that would suck

I already OC on a regular basis...  So I'd just be in the open more than normal for a month.

Dogman, you've a legal Open Carry as an option open to you, to choose anything else is foolhardy, an dare I say, stupid.

If you play a stupid game an CC illegally, then you'd deserve a stupid prize if caught.

If you had no legal options, then I'd say to CC and take your chances.

I agree 100% in theory but it's not as simple as it seems right now. It's been raining like hell here and raincoats are not optional at times. I'm talking about wind-driven pouring rain. The gun is just going to get covered up a lot because how do you open carry on the outside of a rain parka? I'm just going to take one day at a time, use my best judgement in each situation, and hope my permit arrives soon.

That's screwed up, there's been some times that my permit has gone as long as 11 months that I didn't renew it, walked in the door, laid down the $7.50, 5 minutes later, I'm outta there, but do it more than 2-3 times, and the nice ladies at the counter will call you on it. They will POLITELY inform you that the permit is for 12 months, NOT 22-23. Hey, money was tight, what can I say, I forget things. smile.png

Well, maybe you didn't want to carry concealed for the time your permit was expired so you didn't care. How would they know? There seems to be this assumption that after your permit expires you are "LATE"! No you're not, you just chose not to carry concealed for a while. Then when you did, you went and got another permit. Who says you have to have continuity from one permit to the next? Where is that written? It's the same here in Washington. If you come in with a permit that is expired for one day you are LATE. Oh my God, shame on you. And now you will pay a "LATE FEE". What? Since when am I obligated to renew promptly? If I go past the expiration date I'm just not allow to carry concealed until I get another one. I'm not "late" for a Goddamned thing.

• Like 1

I just had the same thing and I did not carry. I didnt have to wait a month, it was only a couple of days but still. My county sends out a reminder letter a few weeks in advance. If you go to the Sheriff's officein the main county courthouse its done right in front of you. This courthouse is only a few miles from me. However, between work and other things I kept putting it off and then we got hit with an ice storm and people lost power for up to a week. Long story short, it was easier to get it done at one of the other Sheriffs office near my work. They send the paperwork up to the main one and then get it back and you come pick it up. This takes a 10 days. So I walked around for about 4 days without a gun. No big deal.

It wasn't that I chose to stop carrying, I still carried, It's just that when I thought about renewing it, I was either out of town, too busy with work or low on funds, and didn't do it at the time. In the county that I live in, I was told that there is a 12 month grace period for renewals, after that, you have to totally reapply all over again. The sheriff here is very laid back and cool, he don't talk no shit and means what he says, and treats people like they are still human, that is unless you screw up and act really stupid, then he'll swing the hammer on your ass, as it should be.

People down here, for the most part, don't fricking wig out over seeing a gun, carrying a gun or using a gun, most of us where raised with them, and those that do wig out, 99.999% of the time are from out west or up north and are already conditioned to believe that guns bad, government good.