Need help w/ a friends S12 ( stock )

hello,

helping a friend w/ his S12 and he let out a few rounds, and he walked w/ a bruse on his on his shoulder a few days later ...

the question, is there a stock that recoils and will take the kick ... w/o leaving a bruse on the shoulder ....

a supplier would help, or any insight/ opinions are welcome

thank you for looking ...

Well if he doesn't want to convert, then this seems like an option: http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/phoenix-saiga-stockset.htm

If you convert You can use a mako recoil reduce tube.

post-34181-0-70805900-1394464523.jpg

I use a magpul Ctr stock with an enhanced buttpad. I shoot slugs and buckshot a lot without any bruises.

post-34181-0-36045300-1394464660.jpg

Edited by Ethan M
  • Like 1

hello,

helping a friend w/ his S12 and he let out a few rounds, and he walked w/ a bruse on his on his shoulder a few days later ...

the question, is there a stock that recoils and will take the kick ... w/o leaving a bruse on the shoulder ....

a supplier would help, or any insight/ opinions are welcome

thank you for looking ...

A bruse, huh. I will be praying for him and hope he pulls through. That can leave a boo boo.

Keep in mind adding a recoil stock can change the way the gun cycles by absorbing energy intended to cycle the action. Good luck and get a band-aid on that boo boo pronto.

• Like 4

All of the above. other options include mercury tube, enedine... or one of several other brands of pogo stocks. 

I prefer a solid stock with a quality recoil pad. Kickeez or Limbsaver. It mounts nicer, and can't pinch. 

I use a magpul Ctr stock with an enhanced buttpad. I shoot slugs and buckshot a lot without any bruises.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I would suggest the JT Engineering brake you have on it does quite a lot to reduce the recoil and muzzle jump. I know mine sure makes a difference in how the gun handles especially when firing in a fairly rapid fashion..

Slip on Limbsavers are a great place to start. I have one on my 10 gauge to tame down the turkey loads.

I prefer a solid stock with a quality recoil pad. Kickeez or Limbsaver. It mounts nicer, and can't pinch. 

These and I have also had great results with the Pachmayr Decelerator Slip-On Recoil Pads........sure did take a lot of the punch out of my 45-70 with hot and heavy loads.

Edited by burntpowder

Lots of them work. I prefer kickeez because it works very well without being spongy. It is made of a material that is firm under light pressure, and soft under shock. The stuff doesn't get hard or oxidized with age like rubber or vinyl. Ones from the 1980s look and feel just the same as new ones. Ever used a crusty old factory pad from the 60s or 70s that may as well be wood? Also, it is solid rather than a system of voids. This means you can grind it to any shape you want. I've got a couple pachmayer grind to fit pads I picked up cheap because the professional gunsmith accidentally ground into a steel plate inside of them, and I chose not to pick up the ones where the smith ground too close to  a hollow pocket. Most of them out there like most limbsaver models have the same hollow pockets.

I use a magpul Ctr stock with an enhanced buttpad. I shoot slugs and buckshot a lot without any bruises.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I would suggest the JT Engineering brake you have on it does quite a lot to reduce the recoil and muzzle jump. I know mine sure makes a difference in how the gun handles especially when firing in a fairly rapid fashion..

Yeah it actually helps quite a bit.

what do they cost, the CTR stock and how easy are they to install .....??

Well it really depends. Lol

Here's the kit for the conversion

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/s12-kit-5-ctr-6pc.htm

Here's the enhanced recoil pad

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/magpul-recoilpad.htm

Also, it is solid rather than a system of voids. This means you can grind it to any shape you want. I've got a couple pachmayer grind to fit pads I picked up cheap because the professional gunsmith accidentally ground into a steel plate inside of them, and I chose not to pick up the ones where the smith ground too close to  a hollow pocket. Most of them out there like most limbsaver models have the same hollow pockets.

Hummm... I'm fairly certain that Tromix freezes, then grinds to shape, their Limbsavers to fit their stocks? I have one and the result from the factory was pretty good. Needed a little clean up with a razor to be "just so", but I don't notice any big voids in it or anything. Seems like they were able to form it just fine. Maybe they improved over the years?

That's also the one of the most expensive options out there for just a pad. So...

Also, it is solid rather than a system of voids. This means you can grind it to any shape you want. I've got a couple pachmayer grind to fit pads I picked up cheap because the professional gunsmith accidentally ground into a steel plate inside of them, and I chose not to pick up the ones where the smith ground too close to  a hollow pocket. Most of them out there like most limbsaver models have the same hollow pockets.

Hummm... I'm fairly certain that Tromix freezes, then grinds to shape, their Limbsavers to fit their stocks? I have one and the result from the factory was pretty good. Needed a little clean up with a razor to be "just so", but I don't notice any big voids in it or anything. Seems like they were able to form it just fine. Maybe they improved over the years?

That's also the one of the most expensive options out there for just a pad. So...

Yes, they use a different pad from the usual limbsaver line that is solid without voids. It costs significantly more than the usual pre-fit and grind to fit lines which do have voids.

This is a good topic for me too--I just got a new Saiga-12 converted by Legion and I love everything about it, except the stock. I have the stock listed at Carolina Shooters as "AK ORIGINAL STYLE STOCK KVAR WARSAW LENGTH" and found here:

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/kvar-warsaw-stock.htm

(And what sort of cleaning kit is supposed to be inserted into the stock? Because I didn't get anything with mine.)

Anyway, I want something a little more interesting--and like the poster above, something that absorbs recoil a little better. What would you guys recommend? If I don't replace the whole stock, I would at least like a pad. What would fit it? Excuse, but I'm not new to firearms, but I'm a Saiga Noob.  So, mine currently looks like this:

Saiga Legion 12

Edited by MR_22

Same as comes with an AK 74, but the shotgun comes with a different brush. The cleaning kit is intended to work with a cleaning rod they don't put on the shotguns. I'd rather have a good pad than a cleaning kit.

Lots of us have run many round through the gun without cleaning. I don't remember exact count, but IIRC mine was still going strong after ~1200 rounds of bulk stuff before I decided to just clean it anyway. This was a few years back when I bought a lot of cheap ammo and wanted to see how dirty it could get. Others have done more. It depends on what you shoot, and the size angle and number of your ports.

• Like 1

Based on my limited experience, I would seek out whatever special Limbsaver Tromix is using and make it fit your stock. I REALLY like mine... and yes, it was expensive (I think the Limbsaver upgrade to my Tromix stock was $50).

• Like 1

Based on my limited experience, I would seek out whatever special Limbsaver Tromix is using and make it fit your stock. I REALLY like mine... and yes, it was expensive (I think the Limbsaver upgrade to my Tromix stock was $50).

I was checking that out last night and I have to agree; both on that looked like it would be a great upgrade and about being expensive, LOL.

Edited by MR_22

It's DOPE and EXPENSIVE... Gotta pay to play! smile.png

Tony Rumore (president of Tromix) will personally answer any inquiry about his products in the same day (generally).... I wouldn't hesitate to buy that Tromix stock and I didn't... I really like mine.

edit: If you don't care for that stock, I'd still try to figure out what Limbsaver they are selling (generally GunFun is right on the mark, but I'm curious about whether or not the average-ever-day Limbsaver has voids vs. what he said... maybe their manufacturing process changed?)....

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

If your planning on changing the stock i'd go for the tromix with limbsaver. I currently have the 7.5" Ace skeleton stock with 1" pad. I think its the biggest they make. But in hind sight I do like the more squared shape of the tromix stock and the limbsaver is a beast. And Tony stands behind the quality of everything he does. I fired an S12 with 3" loads on a friends gun with the Tromix stock and it was a like a dream. On my first s12 i had a slip on butt pad before I folded and upgraded the stock. Wasn't the most attractive thing I ever put on a gun but it did the trick. Hardest part was keeping it on the stock. Velcro worked a bit but sloppy :/ I think it was from verifoce tactical for like $28.

• Like 1