Russian mag failure!

Has anyone seen anything like this.

5292311809e6a297cffa7c24384f859f.jpg

Supposedly was a genuine russian 10rd mag

Blew right in half the 1st round through it.

Never had an issue before and have used it quite a few times.

Question now is where can I find another ten rd mag before more geese start showing up. No plugs no limits was going to be sweet to mow them down but with only 5 rounds now :(

Molot is selling factory 10 round V12 mags made by taking a factory 8 and hot welding it to a piece of a factory 2. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar was done for the S20.  However, any half way respectible plastic weld is about as strong as the rest of the plastic. That mag is a very clean cut which would back up the glue theory. 

If it were mine and I couldn't exchange it, I would sand all the surfaces, clean it with alcohol, back bevel the edges and carefully plastic weld with a soldering iron on low temp. I might also cut 3 strips of plastic from the factory throw away stock and weld them on vertically to reinforce the mag.

• Like 4

I don't recall any "factory 10 round mags"?

After searching some threads I found this...  http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/72858-factory-275-high-capacity-magazine-identification/?p=710290  Looks legit.

As far as I know it was a legit mag paid a nice chunk of change.

Worked fine when I had it out hunting pheasants this fall, shot a bunch of trap as well.

Really have no idea how it happened.

Pulled the trigger bang and everything let loose.

I just want to find some more tens if possible.

One word

Csspecs!

I'd like to see one of those steel mags do that shit.

Any word on the CSS mags I talked to Michael at css and he said they are a good mag but better to load on an open bolt. That's why I loved this russian ten rd as it was easy to load. . $55 is a lot of money for a mag but it's not like I wouldn't dish out the money for something that works. Plus side is if somehow the metal mag breaks like that while firing I'm probably dead lol

I think gunfun nailed it. that is not how the part would have been molded and sonic welded, would be left and right panels not 1/2 top and bottom. somebody did a good job gluing a frankenmag but over time glue fails.

I think gunfun nailed it. that is not how the part would have been molded and sonic welded, would be left and right panels not 1/2 top and bottom. somebody did a good job gluing a frankenmag but over time glue fails.

I stand by post #2 and post #7 000.gif

I'm going with this as it is coming from a guy that probably knows more about plastic/polymer mags than anyone else on this forum.

• 1 month later...

Well I superglued it back together and took it blackout to try. It handled 2 fully loaded bumpski mag dumps and is still in one piece. Think I will wrap it some duct tape just to be on the safe side. Doesn't look pretty but it works.

On the plus side picked up a cssmetal mag and fitted it last night. Looks really good with the metal bumpski hope it feeds as well as my russian mag

b69b39deb5587a8ea83348a0710455c8.jpg

Hey , where did you get that forarm rail ?

It's from Carolina shooter supply. Most the parts I ordered from them. They make the forearm in house I believe. The only issue I had with mine was it was made for a 12 gauge. Really easy fix I took a paint stick and a piece of plastic superglued together and then glued to the forearm where it slides into the receiver. Tightened it back up and haven't had a problem since.

Get in touch with CSS I even think they have a top rail to make it a quad rail.

Ahhh ...........too good to be true it seems; I was thrilled to see that forearm on a 20 ga - until you said it was for a 12 ga.

The only difference is where it slides into the receiver. I bet if you talk really nice to CSS they may even be able to get you the right block that fits the 20. I know mine on here has two small screws holding the piece on. It's just the thicker barrel of the 12 takes up more room.

Ahhh ...........too good to be true it seems; I was thrilled to see that forearm on a 20 ga - until you said it was for a 12 ga.

The only difference is where it slides into the receiver. I bet if you talk really nice to CSS they may even be able to get you the right block that fits the 20. I know mine on here has two small screws holding the piece on. It's just the thicker barrel of the 12 takes up more room.

is difficult to find 20 ga rounds 

What do you mean? Is difficult to find 20 ga rounds?

Walmart always seems to have them and my local gun shop usually has pretty good deals on bulk 20.

If you meant finding a hand guard for a 20 well that's also a pain. But it's just the space that slides into the front of the receiver that is different. The screw is in the same place for both the 12 and 20

What do you mean? Is difficult to find 20 ga rounds?

Walmart always seems to have them and my local gun shop usually has pretty good deals on bulk 20.

If you meant finding a hand guard for a 20 well that's also a pain. But it's just the space that slides into the front of the receiver that is different. The screw is in the same place for both the 12 and 20

+1

I find bulk 20ga is actually easier to find at walmart. Used to always piss me off. Now that I own a s20 is like a secret invisible cache.

And yes overall length is identical. The s12 just has a bigger trunion thus less space between bottom and receiver.

Superglued the mag back together with some loctite super glue and wrapped it with a piece of gorilla duct tape. Two boxes of full auto and it's still holding strong. I must say the CSS mag is nice just wish it was easier to load as you can't do it on a closed bolt.

• 6 months later...