Saiga FTF.

New here. Been using the Saiga in 3 gun meets. Got a bunch of FTF's last meet. Figured it was the ammo until I cleaned it and saw this: Do I need to replace the barrel?  I don't see another alternative. The chamber is FUBAR. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

2014-03-11225755_zps8051fe4e.jpg

2014-03-11225704_zpse96b9cd1.jpg

Wow. Have you had gravel in your gun? Running it without the dust cover or a left side charging handle?

I would imagine it could be TIGed up and dressed down since the chamber doesn't appear to be affected much. Not sure though. I pursue that and would only allow a very competent smith to work on it. Cobra762 might be a good choice of he will take on the challenge. PM him. There are barrels to be had, but I would rather repair this one of it were mine.

Be sure to let us know how it goes!

I would also add:

Have your locking lugs or timing channel been touched for work or polishing in any way?

Has your front trunnion been worked on at all?

How does your bolt face look?

Edited by Nephilim7

What are you trying to show?

I see dirt/lint in the barrel.. Should I be seeing something else?

I'm looking at the pictures and seeing nothing out of place... Maybe I'm wrong.

I didn't get to zoom in (was on my phone), but it looks to me as though the rim of the chamber is chipped.  Looks like a whole rectangular section is missing right at the bottom of the mouth of the chamber.  I'm at work right now, so the Baracuda filter won't let the pictures load.

Mine has the same cut out. At the bottom of the chamber. Part of the bolt head sits in it.

post-2952-0-80756900-1394649347_thumb.jpg

So if that is what your worried about, its normal.

Now take the $300+ I just saved you and buy some mags biggrin.png

If your seeing something else please point to it.

• Like 1

Well, that's embarrassing... Of course, that relief is where the bolt feed foot rests on breach lockup. Perfectly normal. My previous posts demonstrate definitively both that I should not post while exhausted and that I am definitely not shooting enough lately! I wonder if my wife will accept this as a reason to buy more ammo?

Thanks CSSpecs!

***OP, what are we looking at???

I also can't tell what you are trying to point out in the picture. If what they said above covered you concern then good.

But you were still getting FTF. I wanna know what mags you were using and what the feed angle is. I'd also suspect there is some grit or sticky powder residue gunking up your mags so they aren't lifting shells very quickly. Especially if it was just one mag causing the problems.