Hey guys.  I actually would prefer open sights on this saiga...however, i am wanting to possibly deer hunt with this gun with a 2 round mag + 1 in the chamber.  I also plan on using this gun for home defense and a trap gun.  I guess my question is, the mounts that mount on the side of the receiver, do they hold their zero if you take them off and stick them in a safe until next deer season?

I am thinking that I want a low profile holographic red dot sight.  I am not looking for something real expensive, just something that works and will hold its 0.  However, when I shoot trap, it would be nice to be able and take off the red dot, and able to reinstall it without loosing its zero.

I've used a PK01V from Atlantic Firearms on mine before and it was fine removing it a few times.  It was mostly just for goofing around before it went on an SGL21, but man it looked pretty dang cool on the SGL12 while it was on there...

Fromer's Fun Fact: you can remove your dust cover, recoil spring, and bolt carrier with it attached if you're that worried about it, just takes a little finesse.

etLelZf.jpg

We dunno yet. Haven't yet removed and replaced either Eoteck. Understand that the factory provided receiver rail will PROBABLY have to be removed and re shimmed right to left and up and down to more closely zero the proposed scope.

Both our S12 and S308 required rehanging. We rehung them using automotive valve adjustment shim stock snipped out of an inexpensive old valve adjustment clearance tool. Short hex nuts, lock washers and bolts were used with blue Loctite.

Had to do it because the factory riveted rails were way off. The laser bore sighters were dotting the ground and the Eotecks were looking at the sky. Way off. But the corrective process was fun simple and easy. Calculating the shims was fun also.

We have not yet removed the Eotecks from the Saigas. We used a mount that put the top high enough up that the Saiga top cover could be removed without removing the mount and Eotecks. We do not know if the rail will hold zero or not. Never done it.

HB of CJ (old coot)

Look into the midwest industries one, and also the KVAR one styled to compete with it. The big problem is getting the scope low enough. You also want a shotgun scope, which will provide ~5" of eye releif, unless you like the racoon look.

For optics on the cheap, I would check out vortex. Excellent sights for the money. I have also been using a bushnell trs 25 for a long time on an ak. I've dropped the gun directly on it and it still hold zero and the finish surprisingly still looks great too lol it's in an ak I use a lot so it gets beat up some.

Now for and event better sight, the aimpoint pro is awesome! They can be had for around 400 and sometimes less. Very durable and you still get the amazing aimpoint battery life. I have one on an ar.

Those are excellent, but $$$.

Yeah I missed the nothing expensive part in the original post. Lol

Edited by Ethan