Hello Gentlemen:

I want to get a .300 Win Mag one of these days to have long-range capability ... and get a proper scope too. Based on what I know, a bolt-action rifle is imperative and having a heavy barrel will help with accuracy too. 

I looked at one vendor's offerings (Cheaper Than Dirt) and found two rifles that have heavy barrels. I am wondering which is better or is it a "splitting hairs" issue. I took note of the Remington 700 XCR and the Savage 110 FCP with 26" and 24" heavy barrels respectively. I did not notice other rifles with a heavy barrel except those that were well into the $1,800 - $2,500 range. I'm trying to stick with a "budget" .300 Win Mag, but not an apparently cheap one like the Remington 770.  I could not tell if rifles like the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter have heavy barrels. 

On the cheaper side, the Mossberg 4x4 interests me too, but I know it doesn't have a heavy barrel. It does have a 26" barrel though. It looks cool with that muzzle break and fluted barrel. That's what gets the chicks - right? I do not know the 4 x 4 's reputation. I know Mossberg is known more for their shotguns. 

Just wondering guys. Again ... you guys "know" rifles much more than I do, but I enjoy learning from you. 

Remingto XCR:

12-0126923.jpg

Savage 110 FCP:

8-SAV-19627.jpg

Mossberg 4 x 4:

9-106174.jpg

Should ask what you are doing with it.  If hunting weight is a factor.  XCR is a good rifle for the African plains. The Mossberg is a 2 inch MOA gun.  300 WM is large game.  Really good reviews out there on the Savage.

If punching paper you may want to consider a Rem 700 5R Mil Spec in a 300 Win Mag.  If you reload look for some forum posts to work from (always verify with a load manual) as a place to start for load development.  I have seen a 700P beat the mil spec.  The 300 WM brass is expensive and it uses a lot more powder when compared to a 308.  A 308 will do 90% of what a 300WM will do and no shoulder surgery when you get up there in age.  5Rs are not always available.  One has to wait for a batch.  Both rifles can be upgraded to a cut rifled barrel down the road to chase even smaller groups.

Edited by absolute nemo

Just punching paper for now to learn how to shoot long range. I usually shoot 200 yards at the most. I want to learn how to shoot much farther - perhaps up to 1,000 - 1,200 yards if that's possible.

It's simply a skill I'd like to have in a "just in case" sort of way. I'd never try to shoot a deer at such a long range.   

Edited by Squeaky

I have been wanting a Rem. 700 5R in a .308 for a while now for the same reasons.  Long range shooting.  My lgs had a 20'' barrel when I was in there last time.  I asked about the 24'' barrel and was told .308 stabilizes better for longer distance with a shorter barrel.  I have been wanting to do a little more research before I buy one.

For starting out at the range, go with the savage. You will get a good rifle and if you put the right scope on it, she will out shoot the other choices you have listed.

Consider a mil dot scope, knowing how to use one can make life much easier. Learning your dope on the scope is like offset math. Hard and confusing at first but second nature after some practice.

Here is some basic information. http://www.mil-dot.com/articles/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-mil-dot-reticle

You can also get an application for your android phone called shooter. It also has an extension that allows you to communicate with your anemometer (kestrel) this application will make your first day on the range a successful one but you wont understand or learn the math. It will do the work for you.

Good luck and have fun shooting!

I have been wanting a Rem. 700 5R in a .308 for a while now for the same reasons.  Long range shooting.  My lgs had a 20'' barrel when I was in there last time.  I asked about the 24'' barrel and was told .308 stabilizes better for longer distance with a shorter barrel.  I have been wanting to do a little more research before I buy one.

That's one out of a dozen factors.

The whole idea of a shorter barrel being more accurate is because shorter barrels are stiffer. Less whip durring firing. Yet go too short and you neuter the velocity of the round and the accuracy wont matter because the bullet wont reach anything. 20-24 barrels are the premium in length. 26 is too long, 20 is bare Minimum.

Nemo_6.jpg

go semi auto

I love our local gun producers! Nemo was previously SI defense, founded by a combat vietnam veteran who made machined parts for NASA. They were purchased by a bunch of retired CIA spooks and took the business to the next level. Their rifles are awesome. They created a ton of jobs in our valley.

Also, check out Proof research. A new company aimed in a different direction. They consolidated master gunsmiths who specialized in their own fields. The make very interesting rifles with reduced weight that are in direct competition with companies like H&S, AI and Surgeon.

Edited by Stryker0946