4th Annual KRRC Silencer Shoot

I am pleased to announce that the 4th Annual KRRC Silencer Shoot is scheduled for July 19, 2014 from 2pm to 6pm.  This is an educational event to demonstrate the limitations and effectiveness of firearm silencers.  The shoot is taking place at the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club at 4900 Seabeck Highway, Bremerton WA 98312.  The club’s website is here; http://www.gunsafety.org/

Below is a small poster I made to publicize the event.  It should open up in MS Paint and print out on 8.5x11 inch paper.  If anyone is willing to post it at local gun stores or other areas, it would be greatly appreciated.  Please get permission to post at stores before doing so.

4thAnnualSilencerShoot_zpsf0475c24.jpg
Direct link to poster.

Below is a map of the KRRC.  The silencer shoot will take place on the rifle line.  The pistol line will be open for unsuppressed pistols and rim fire rifles as usual.  The action pistol bays between the pistol line and the rifle line can be used by dealers or manufacturers who want to demo their products.  They can also use the rifle line.  Please feel free to bring a banner to hang up to advertise your store.  Last year Wynakos Machine attended the shoot and were a wealth of information for the participants.

KRRCmap_zpsf2bbe10e.jpg

Please feel free to contact me at ranb40@yahoo.com or (360) 440-5889. 

Randy Bragge

Edited by Ranb

An "educational event" that refers to sound suppressors by their common misnomer?

You don't have to show up. 

Silencers are what Maxim called his mufflers when he marketed them back in 1905.  Silencer and muffler are the legal terms used in the US code.  The word silencer is a noun and legal term, not an adjective.  I've never read any good reason to not call these firearms silencers.  The best arguments I've seen against using the word were "I don't like it" or the equally inane "they don't make a gun silent".

It is an educational event that refers to sound suppressors by their legal, historical and commonly accepted name before Hollywood, politicians and anti-gun nuts twisted it into something evil.  This will be the fourth year I've run this event and as far as I can remember, you're the only one who has bitched about the name.

Randy

Edited by Ranb
  • Like 2

Thinking about it a bit, (difficult for me) it seems the word "SILENCERS" was selected because to the non educated law abiding public, that word is the one most related to the event at hand? Would the words "mufflers", "defusers", "moderators" or "suppressors" work as well? I dunno. Perhaps not. This might be a situation where the proper common verbiage was used so most people would just better understand the advertisements? Just me. HB of CJ (old coot) I wish we could attend....just too far from SW OR right now. sad.png

When I was pitching the silencer use bill back in 2011 to my Representative I told her I was interested in the bill to make sound suppressors legal to use.  She asked if I meant silencer.  I laughed and said yes.  I've never hesitated to use the word silencer as it makes it plain that I'm referring to sound suppressors and not flash suppressors.

Randy

• Like 2

Edited for redundancy.

Sounds fun, and hopefully quiet. Maybe this time next year there will be some SBRs present!

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

An "educational event" that refers to sound suppressors by their common misnomer?

You don't have to show up. 

Silencers are what Maxim called his mufflers when he marketed them back in 1905.  Silencer and muffler are the legal terms used in the US code.  The word silencer is a noun and legal term, not an adjective.  I've never read any good reason to not call these firearms silencers.  The best arguments I've seen against using the word were "I don't like it" or the equally inane "they don't make a gun silent".

It is an educational event that refers to sound suppressors by their legal, historical and commonly accepted name before Hollywood, politicians and anti-gun nuts twisted it into something evil.  This will be the fourth year I've run this event and as far as I can remember, you're the only one who has bitched about the name.

Randy

You tell em Randy.  I hope your event sells people on a different firearm experience.  I don't have any cans silencers yet.  But!  If this event were in my back yard, I wouldn't miss it for the world.  What better way to shop for silencers than to see most of the silencers on the market silencing in one silenced place.

Edited by Big John!

The event is free to anyone bringing a suppressed firearm, I want to make it free for anyone with any title 2 firearm; especially SBR's.  Right now there are only a few registered SBR's in civilian hands in WA, but it would be nice to have them there.

Randy

Edited by Ranb

I'm going to try and make it out this year, with my .223 HTG Aris, High Standard .22 pistol with threaded barrel and an AR.

For those that complain about the verbage:

From Form 4 Instructions: 1. Definitions, c. Firearm, (7) a muffler or silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within this definition.

Doug

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Sounds fun, and hopefully quiet. Maybe this time next year there will be some SBRs present!

It will not be quiet.  HIgh powered rifles still make lots of bullet flight noise even when equipped with a good silencer.  Eye and ear protection is still required during the event.

I’m expecting three manufacturers to show up for the event; Wynakos Machine from Monroe WA, Thunder Beast Arms from Cheyanne WY and Silencerco from West Valley City, UT (their NW rep) .

http://wynakosmachine.com/

http://thunderbeastarms.com/

http://www.silencerco.com/

I’ve never seen or heard a Thunder Beast silencer, so I’m really looking forward to it.  Wynakos Machine has several interesting products that I would like to see again.  I really liked what Silencerco had to offer at the 2011 Renton shoot.  Maybe they will all have something brand new for this year.

All of the manufacturers as well as myself will have a limited supply of ammo for the public to use.  Please bring your own 9mm, 45acp. 22lr, 223, 308, 300 BLK or other commercially loaded ammo to ensure you’re able to try out their products.

Randy

I like the term "muffler" because non-gun people can relate to their cars.  Of course mufflers should be legal for guns (and easier to get).  Could you imagine if mufflers were illegal on cars, or legal but you had to pay an extra $200 to get one, plus the cost of the muffler and wait 4-9 months to be approved???

Sounds like a fun event.  Good luck!

Edited by mizombiekilla
  • Like 2

It will not be quiet.  HIgh powered rifles still make lots of bullet flight noise even when equipped with a good silencer.  Eye and ear protection is still required during the event.

I’m expecting three manufacturers to show up for the event; Wynakos Machine from Monroe WA, Thunder Beast Arms from Cheyanne WY and Silencerco from West Valley City, UT (their NW rep) .

http://wynakosmachine.com/

http://thunderbeastarms.com/

http://www.silencerco.com/

I’ve never seen or heard a Thunder Beast silencer, so I’m really looking forward to it.  Wynakos Machine has several interesting products that I would like to see again.  I really liked what Silencerco had to offer at the 2011 Renton shoot.  Maybe they will all have something brand new for this year.

All of the manufacturers as well as myself will have a limited supply of ammo for the public to use.  Please bring your own 9mm, 45acp. 22lr, 223, 308, 300 BLK or other commercially loaded ammo to ensure you’re able to try out their products.

Randy

I got to shoot a Thunderbeast last year at the Rocky Mountain 3 Gun Match, the guys from Barrett had one for their .338 Lapua and a couple of us got to try it.  HUGE difference in concussion and blast plus it reduced the noise significantly.  Without the suppressor the .338 that we were shooting prone caused a dust cloud when fired due to the concussion.  With the suppressor it had very little blast and caused no dust cloud.  I can see why it would almost be mandatory on large caliber guns.  Can't wait to see what they bring to try out.

Doug

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

A bump to remind everyone about the Silencer Shoot.  I'm putting it together to encourage manufacturers to attend and demonstrate their wares.  With a good showing by the public we can encourage that the manufacturers keep coming to these events and show us what is new on the market.  Hope to see you all there.

Randy Bragge

(360) 440-5889

Edited by Ranb
  • Like 1

The 4th Annual KRRC Silencer Shoot was a great time.  Hats off to Ray of Thunderbeast Arms and Scott of Silencerco.  While I can put together a successful event with the help of other club members, it’s the manufacturers and dealers who take part that make it much more memorable.  Once again thank you to Ray and Scott.

We had 6 remote re-setting AR-500 falling plates at 200 and 110 yards.  A large mild steel plate at 200 yards and numerous other steel at 25 and 50 yards.  At 2 pm people started showing up, within 30 minutes most of the rifle line was full and stayed packed until about 5:30 when people got their fill.  Thunderbeast and Silencerco had a limited supply of ammo but since most people bought ammo of their own there was plenty to go around.  A few people told us that they’ve only shown up at KRRC for the Silencer Shoots. 

One family sat at a bench and went through a bunch of old AP ammo in my 308 punching some holes in the 200 yards steel, another brought a box of 223 and tried out the 5.56 rifles I brought.  Another dad brought his kids and they knocked over plates at 25 yards with a suppressed Savage MK2.

There was of course small crowds of people around Scott and Ray for most of the afternoon trying out their suppressed rifles and pistols.  With ten suppressed firearms each they were kept very busy.  I especially liked the Thunderbeast can on the Barrett 338 Lapua; it was a bit quieter than my 338 Ultra mag.  I heard a few SBR’s, they were of course louder than their full sized counterparts.  My favorite rifle at the event was the 44 mag Silent Destroyer, less noisy than a 300 Blackout; it better be as it has a huge can on it.  Got to make me one some day. 

The pistol line was open to unsuppressed shooting, I think most of the people who showed for pistol shooting also took part in the Silencer Shoot.   Most people were gone by about 5:30.  About 70 people were at the event.  The 2015 Silencer Shoot is tentatively scheduled for Saturday July 18th.   Thunderbeast and Silencerco both said they wish to return.  I look forward to seeing them and others next year.  I’m talking to you Wynakos Machine.

54e412c0-ed46-4cd6-88d5-75dc9c3369dd_zps

Ray and the collection he brought.

4fbe3185-b233-4e97-a841-b1ccdfab4554_zpsScott’s collection, didn’t get much of Scott though, sorry.

44magSD_zpse2004762.jpg

44 mag Silencer Destroyer.  Got to make me one of these someday.

Nagant_zps91a68a73.jpg

First suppressed Mosin Nagant I’ve seen.

Randy

Edited by Ranb