You can thank forum member saigadd for the only letter with an operating rod as a counted part. Every other one before did not count it, stating that it was merely an extension of the bolt carrier.

If Saigadd had gotten his way for asking poorly worded questions to BATFE he would have gotten up to 17 parts, since he figured the rear trunnion and thread protector should count as well.

Why anyone would try to artificially increase the parts count on a firearm is beyond me.

Every time the ATF made a parts count without the assistance of the writer trying to add more. They came up with either 13 or 14, which is what it should be.

• Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Balance and a nicer trigger pull for starters.  You'll also have easier access to the mag catch and BHO.  There is also a distinct advantage of getting up close and personal with the internal workings

To me it looks good. And you can still use your imported magazines that hold 5 or less, since you don't have any of the features unless you install the pistol grip..   I still suggest conversion. It

I see you're trying hard not to do the conversion.  We will equally try as hard to convince you to do it.  For the love of god, convert it! 

Posted Images

You can thank forum member saigadd for the only letter with an operating rod as a counted part. Every other one before did not count it, stating that it was merely an extension of the bolt carrier.

If Saigadd had gotten his way for asking poorly worded questions to BATFE he would have gotten up to 17 parts, since he figured the rear trunnion and thread protector should count as well.

Why anyone would try to artificially increase the parts count on a firearm is beyond me.

Every time the ATF made a parts count without the assistance of the writer trying to add more. They came up with either 13 or 14, which is what it should be.

That's good to know.  I wish all the Saiga-12 922r parts calculators would reflect that.  All those I find are saying S-12 has 15 countable parts.  I'm not doubting your information cssspecs.  It just makes for a confusing topic.  There's been many people in goldenpony's position, buying a new firearm that doesn't function properly.  Then they have to get all confused by 922r.  Kinda compounds the frustration. 

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

If we go with it having 15. Its pretty much impossible to use the russian magazines without changing trigger parts..

Unless you can swap followers with one of the US magazines and use a homemade floorplate..

Then you would have 12 parts counting the piston puck as being changed.

Then you could change the front stock and back stocks and be good to go.

The trigger parts are actually fairly cheap, its all the other stuff for a conversion that is expensive.

Or do this one, but changing the forearm rather than the disconnector due to complexity of getting it out.

If you want to keep in in sporter configuration you can change (and not use the izzy mag)...

• gas piston (puc)
  • disconnector    I suggest forearm (front stock) instead.
  • USA made magazine (3 parts)

I have watch several of the conversion videos over and over. I think I could do it now with my eyes closed (kidding obviously). I' m going to do it with kit #1 from Carolina Shooters Supply as soon as I can decide how to pay for it. I also want to add the axis pin retaining plate, modified BHO lever and the performance hammer spring. I think I would also like to change the forearm but haven't picked one out. Not wild about the aluminum ones with the holes in them. I'll get there eventually.

Edited by goldenpony

yep, not hard just take your time, if was me I would keep stock spring in there vs the performance one unless your stock spring is weak,

I would convert it and see how it runs before  changing springs ect.... check out gunfuns signature  and don't run walmart Winchester bulk pack it crap when you test......

small steps add a item test.... dont change to much at one time so you know what you added that did not work, go back to what did work.

ask us ? were here help no matter  how dumb you think they are.

good luck and enjoy doing it yourself......

dont forget  the locktite on any part of the gun  Red for what you never want to come off without heat ,Blue what needs to be removed at some point. and let dry forat least 24 hrs. most people  dont let it dry and start firing the gun and parts start falling off.

Edited by bobabuee

yep, not hard just take your time, if was me I would keep stock spring in there vs the performance one unless your stock spring is weak,

I would convert it and see how it runs before  changing springs ect.... check out gunfuns signature  and don't run walmart Winchester bulk pack it crap when you test......

small steps add a item test.... dont change to much at one time so you know what you added that did not work, go back to what did work.

ask us ? were here help no matter  how dumb you think they are.

good luck and enjoy doing it yourself......

dont forget  the locktite on any part of the gun  Red for what you never want to come off without heat ,Blue what needs to be removed at some point. and let dry forat least 24 hrs. most people  dont let it dry and start firing the gun and parts start falling off.

Is there some down side to the performance hammer spring? I was considering it only because CSS says it improves trigger pull. Gun is fairly new so I doubt the stock spring is weak.

The gun runs great now. I was just thinking of doing it all at one time rather than coming back at a later time and replacing the spring. I've already been down the road with the gas ports and now it runs great, pretty much anything I feed it. thanks.

if run great now, I would wait till you do conversion and see what you got see hows runs after conversion trigger feels much different from non to converted gun to many parts you get lost if there is a problem in my opinion.

if run great now, I would wait till you do conversion and see what you got see hows runs after conversion trigger feels much different from non to converted gun to many parts you get lost if there is a problem in my opinion.

Understood. too many variables.

When I convert, is it worth including the JTE performance hammer spring? I'm also considering the performance guide rod.

If by "worth it" you mean giving you more reliability, then no.  But if you mean being happier with your gun because it has more tricked-out parts, then yes.

When I convert, is it worth including the JTE performance hammer spring? I'm also considering the performance guide rod.

If by "worth it" you mean giving you more reliability, then no.  But if you mean being happier with your gun because it has more tricked-out parts, then yes.

Well, the description said the hammer spring improves the trigger pull. Not sure about that one, but the guide rod does make sense to me.

So...where does this Saigadd character live? He can't get away with this! :/

This is the member I referred to in a recent post about 5.45x39 ammo and pistol builds on youtube.

This is the member I referred to in a recent post about 5.45x39 ammo and pistol builds on youtube.

His member name is appropriate...SaigADD wants to ADD parts to the list. An ATF Agent Provacateur is in the house :). Sounds like

SaigaCHEKA should be handling this situation. ;)

Some people believe that if they make the firearms laws bad enough people will revolt or something.. However what they are doing is just making the laws harder for everyone to deal with, and driving the cost of firearms ownership up higher and higher.

Sadly there is no way to stop people from doing things to make firearms ownership look bad.

Some people believe that if they make the firearms laws bad enough people will revolt or something.. However what they are doing is just making the laws harder for everyone to deal with, and driving the cost of firearms ownership up higher and higher.

Sadly there is no way to stop people from doing things to make firearms ownership look bad.

Maybe this is their objective.

From what I researched is that if you had a metal thread protector then muzzle device counts, plastic does not. So if you an unlucky one with the plastic tread protector adding a muzzle device does not count towards 922r.

From what I researched is that if you had a metal thread protector then muzzle device counts, plastic does not. So if you an unlucky one with the plastic tread protector adding a muzzle device does not count towards 922r.

Rats! Foiled again. Thanks!

That sounds completely absurd. Not you saying it but the idea being passed around that a plastic vs. Steel thread cap makes the difference between 922 or not.

That sounds completely absurd. Not you saying it but the idea being passed around that a plastic vs. Steel thread cap makes the difference between 922 or not.

It's been said for years that way. And it seems to be true from those that have the letters and we're kind enough to build the worksheets for us to be compliant. Mine came with a metal one.

I'm with mulletman, that makes no sense(*prerequisite for government action). How the hell would they know what material your thread cap was made of after you have changed it. Unless of course you told them or mention it to the world via the internet.

Sorry for the thead jack on the muzzle adapter was reading from phone and thought I was on the last page.

In RE to pistol grip I have the hogue on my s12 and I like it.  My friend has a hogue on his arsenal 7.62.