Hey guys!

If anyone is interested in having their Saiga 12 professionally converted to pistol grip and customized...check me out at www.saiga12conversions.com or www.lebaneseforcesarmory.com .  The base price for all parts and labor...which includes a tri-rail forend, magpul vertical foregrip, and tapco folding stock...is $600.  I have a few upgrade options available as well, including a wide assortment of top-quality buttstocks.  I also retain the bolt-hold-open feature on all of my conversions, unless you request otherwise.

I am going to do my very best to maintain a 2-week turnaround, so if you have been waiting...you need wait no more smile.png.

I don't pretend to be the master craftsman that Tony Rumore at Tromix is...but I do perform a professional, clean, and rugged conversion, with premium parts.  And my conversions definitely have their virtues and advantages...besides just being fast.

So...make your Saiga all it can be...check out the website, my contact information is posted under the "About L.F.Armory" tab.

post-49200-0-75208400-1395189778_thumb.jpg

Edited by Juggernaut

You ever read a forum's rules before you shamelessly whore your business out?

Business memberships cost $100 a month. Don't get yourself banned - get yourself informed.

"tapco folding stock...

...but I do perform a professional, clean, and rugged conversion, with premium parts."

Edited by Shandlanos

*Note to membership, saiga12conversions.com has informed me that he has paid for business membership and we are awaiting Max to throw the switch.

Business memberships cost $100 a month. Don't get yourself banned - get yourself informed.

"tapco folding stock...

...but I do perform a professional, clean, and rugged conversion, with premium parts."

Lions and tigers and bears oh my ohmy.png

"tapco folding stock...

Yikes man!

You are definitely right about me doing things out of order...but Juggernaut was kind enough to guide me through the process of correcting that.  (I am new to forums...spend most of my time shooting and tinkering etc...)

As far as the Tapco comment goes...  I would have to disagree with you.  Tapco DOES manufacture some premium parts.  Their SAW grip (which I use...and I am almost positive TROMIX uses as well on his conversions) is HARD TO BEAT.  And their G2 fire control group is FANTASTIC...I have a hard time imagining how they could have made it any better!  

The Tapco Galil-style folding stocks that are included in the base price may not be quite as tough some of the higher priced folders out there...but if that is a concern, I have a fixed stock option at no extra charge.  AND there are three other folders the buyer can choose to upgrade to on my website.  The three upgrade options are DEFINITELY top of the line (I run the steel german-style on my personal gun).  Not to mention...I guarantee my work.  If there ever was a problem with one of the Tapco folders, I would replace it at no cost to the buyer (or allow them to upgrade).

All of this information easily accessible on my website.  You should check it out smile.png.

Edited by saiga12conversions.com
  • Like 4

No sweat Shandlanos, I had the exact same thought on the initial post, but Juggs had already commented by the time I saw it.

Saiga12conversions, welcome to the forum, and the best of luck in your business. You are currently living my dream!

• Like 1

Saiga12conversions, welcome to the forum, and the best of luck in your business. You are currently living my dream!

Thanks Spacehog.  And even more thanks to Juggernaut for shielding me from all these trigger happy brutes!  LOL!

This is my first forum experience...and I will probably make more silly mistakes.  Yall feel free to scold me when I goof up though.  I'll get better :).

I am going to be lurking around this forum a good bit for the next month or so...  You guys are going to be my main customer base...and I want to make sure that I make everyone very happy.  If anyone sees something that they wish I would offer in my conversions, or has any (gentle please) suggestions for improvement....please let me know.  I am not here just to advertise and solicit...I am also here to learn what you guys want.

One thing that I am sure EVERYONE will find attractive is the turnaround time though :).  I am trying to keep my conversions relatively simple, so that I can keep the waiting list short while still giving each gun plenty of TLC.  And I have a growth plan set in place if I am blessed enough to accumulate a lot of volume...so that hopefully the turnaround time will remain short.

Also...I will probably be offering a 12 inch SBS (birdshot friendly) version of the Devastator 12 in the near future.

If anyone sees something that they wish I would offer in my conversions, or has any (gentle please) suggestions for improvement....please let me know.  I am not here just to advertise and solicit...I am also here to learn what you guys want.

In time you might want to think about offering reliability services such as bolt and hammer profiles and also port work.  I have previously chosen a gunsmith who has paid attention to finish details such as riveting the trigger guard, welding up the trigger holes, and refinishing with duracoat.  Then you can move onto 100 series folder installs.  I know previous members who have started profitable business model's doing just that.  In fact, one is working on my 040 as we speak.  But I think the real key here is expanding your client base by offering rifle conversions as well.

Good luck, and welcome to the best damn gun forum around... 

If anyone sees something that they wish I would offer in my conversions, or has any (gentle please) suggestions for improvement....please let me know.  I am not here just to advertise and solicit...I am also here to learn what you guys want.

In time you might want to think about offering reliability services such as bolt and hammer profiles and also port work.  I have previously chosen a gunsmith who has paid attention to finish details such as riveting the trigger guard, welding up the trigger holes, and refinishing with duracoat.  Then you can move onto 100 series folder installs.  I know previous members who have started profitable business model's doing just that.  In fact, one is working on my 040 as we speak.  But I think the real key here is expanding your client base by offering rifle conversions as well.

Thanks for the advise.  Port work is likely something I will be getting into.  

I am going to try to avoid the welding...at least for now...as it definitely increases build time significantly.  

The Saiga rifles are a little more work...but I do think that it would be cool to offer a AK-100 series configuration...once I get the shotgun business rolling smoothly.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum,

A few questions for you...

1. Do you currently have a FFL?

2. Why does the phone number listed on your website come up as a Blimpie Sandwich shop in Commerce, GA?

3. How do you like shooting the Saiga 12 with the Wire side folder?

I have one I may use on my conversion, but wasnt sure about it, kinda figured it would be brutal to use with the 12 gauge recoil.

Welcome to the forum,

A few questions for you...

1. Do you currently have a FFL?

2. Why does the phone number listed on your website come up as a Blimpie Sandwich shop in Commerce, GA?

3. How do you like shooting the Saiga 12 with the Wire side folder?

I have one I may use on my conversion, but wasnt sure about it, kinda figured it would be brutal to use with the 12 gauge recoil.

Good questions!

1) I am currently waiting on my FFL. I have about 2 weeks left to go most likely...and will of course not be taking payments on any orders until that is complete. HOWEVER. I have previously been an FFL holder (I owned a small...and short lived gun shop in Elberton Ga.)

2) That is my cell phone number on the site. I have had it for 10 years. I was the original owner of the Blimpie that you mentioned. I had two of them, along with 2 AT&T retail stores. Appearantly, one of the business directorys somehow ended up listing my cell as the restaurant contact number. The Blimpie is now closed. I still get calls for to go orders for that blimpie...now I know why lol :)

3) I couldn't say enough good things about the stock (assuming you are referring to the Romanian (my favorite) polish, or german models). The recoil on the S12 is pretty tame in my opinion even with buckshot. It is comfortable to shoot as long as you use proper shooting form...and those are the toughest folding stocks I have ever seen. Also...they have zero interference with the trigger/safety/charging handle when folded. They lock shut also! They only possible disadvantage is that they only come in 8 inch warsaw length

Edited by saiga12conversions.com

I am going to try to avoid the welding...at least for now...as it definitely increases build time significantly.  

The Saiga rifles are a little more work...but I do think that it would be cool to offer a AK-100 series configuration...once I get the shotgun business rolling smoothly.

Let's put it a little differently. IMO, it isn't a proper professional conversion if port work and some basic friction work (the hammer profile at minimum) isn't part of the base price when needed. If you've done it , it should take under 20 minutes per dissasemble, check and bump up, with up to 4 repetitions. I'm not running a business, but I would think it a failing business model to take orders for guns and ship them out without ensuring they will work. Build that into your base price. You won't have to do it every time, but if you don't the negative customer response will drown out the positive. If you don't do that stuff, you aren't offering anything that doesn't come in a bolt on kit. 

Every basic "pro" conversion should have at the very minimum:

- Hammer profile done as a matter of course

- inspection for a minimum of 4 exposed ports.

- ability to cycle 3 dram eq ammo. - without this you will have unhappy clients. it's easy to do. 

- obvious burrs sanded off of the rails.

The distinguising lines between a real pro job, and a bare bones are touches like these:

- Tigged up Axis pin holes

- tigged on signts.

- welded or riveted trigger guard, safety stop

- better finish i.e. bead blast, re park and then cerakote.

- trigger work to get better than basic G2 feel ,-- It takes me about 20 -40 minutes as an amateur, so a pro should be much faster.

- optional reamed for rem or win chokes, with permed comp

• Like 1

Let's put it a little differently. IMO, it isn't a proper professional conversion if port work and some basic friction work (the hammer profile at minimum) isn't part of the base price when needed. If you've done it , it should take under 20 minutes per dissasemble, check and bump up, with up to 4 repetitions. I'm not running a business, but I would think it a failing business model to take orders for guns and ship them out without ensuring they will work. Build that into your base price. You won't have to do it every time, but if you don't the negative customer response will drown out the positive. If you don't do that stuff, you aren't offering anything that doesn't come in a bolt on kit. 

- ability to cycle 3 dram eq ammo. - without this you will have unhappy clients. it's easy to do. 

The distinguising lines between a real pro job, and a bare bones are touches like these:

- tigged on signts.

- trigger work to get better than basic G2 feel ,-- It takes me about 20 -40 minutes as an amateur, so a pro should be much faster.

Thank you for the advise Gunfun.

You will be relieved to know that it states on the "description" section of my website that I test fire every gun.

You raise some very valid points. I am tied up until about 9pm tonight, but I will give a more complete response this evening.

This is why I am here...to get YOUR input so I can build a successful business.

Thank you for the help

I would take Guns Funs Advice. these things listed should be standard on a quality conversion. Good Luck I have always wanted to own a Blimpies...

The Blimpie restaurants were fun to open and fun to run...but after 2008 they turned into a complete money pit. It wouldn't surprise me if all the Blimpies dissappear withinn a few years :(

I would take Guns Funs Advice. these things listed should be standard on a quality conversion....

True that. Especially the sporter fcg holes. There are some really fancy dressed up bolt on s12's that command a premium but have either plugs or Allen head screws in place to fill them.

- tigged on signts.

Ok, I finally have a chance to sit down and respond in depth.

- I whole-heartedly agree with you Gunfan.  If a shop does conversions...and the gun doesn't cycle afterwards...then the shop will not last very long.  That is very sound logic ;).

- I do own a Dremel tool...and am prepared to profile/polish any hammers that need it in order for the gun to cycle properly.  I do not list this on my website for 2 reasons. 

#1  So far I have not had any need to profile the modified G2 FCG that I use.

#2  My website is designed with a new (and relatively uneducated compared to the members of this forum) Saiga 12 owner in mind.  I am not even sure that many of my potential customers would understand what "profiling" a hammer is...or why they would need it done.

- I will be test firing every conversion with light birdshot loads, so any cycling problems will certainly be brought to my attention before the gun is shipped back to the customer.

- I know that there are many guns out there with missing/clogged/misalligned  gas ports that prevent them from cycling light loads.  The only way to fix this problem (excluding clogged ports) is to remove the gas block and set things right...this is a task that takes time.  My intention on these guns is to contact the customer and notifiy them of the problem.  I had intended to charge a $50 fee for port work if it was required (and the customer agreed).  I probably should post this information on the website....

- As far as offering aftermarket sights, tig welding old fcg holes, tigging triggerguard and safety stop, sandblasting gun and redoing the entire finish etc....

You basically described a TROMIX conversion, and that is not what I am trying to offer at this point in time.

At this point, I cannot offer my customers the experience, or the skill, that shop owners like Tony Rumor can.  What I CAN offer is a great looking, great feeling, great shooting, and rugged conversion.......in about TWO weeks time.  Welding, sanding, cutting, sandblasting and refinishing the entire weapon...all of these things take time and would make a two week turnaround very difficult.  My strategy right now is to offer a minimalist conversion that focuses on functional features and not fine touches.

That said, I do take huge pride in my work.  If a customer gets me to convert their gun, and then shows it to a friend, the friend is going to think that the gun was built at the factory that way...the trigger is going to be night and day better, and It is going to be a clean looking conversion.  I hope that the pictures on the website reflect that.

Now...as to the question of whether I am offering anything that you couldn't achieve with a quality bolt-on conversion kit...I am not.

Everything that I do in my conversions (including any port work) could be done at a person's home, using a few select power and hand tools.  There are hundreds of guys in this forum who have done just that.  Those are not the customers that I anticipate serving, however.  

I am here for the guys who have a Saiga 12...and they want it to look great, feel great, shoot great, and have a trigger that blows the factory setup away.  They want want someone who knows what they are doing to convert it for them...and they want it done as soon as possible.  I am hoping that those are the guys that will be giving me a try.

In essence, I am not trying to compete directly with TROMIX or the other shops that have been in this a while...I am trying to offer a completely new and unique service.

That said...my "innovative" business idea may turn out to be a flop.  If that turns out to be the case, you will find me crawling back to this forum to announce that "the new kid has a new business strategy" :).  And the "I told you so's" will be well deserved :).

So...what do the rest of you guys think?  Does the service that I intend to offer have any appeal...or am I going down the wrong path?

If you want to make them look good and not get in over your head, I suggest offering a basic package that has the following parts

MD trigger guard (riveted) - it will make your unit cost go down by $30 each, and your build quality go up. You only need to buy the tools once. It will also look classier, and weigh less.

Steel PG nut

MD molot grip or Tapco Saw

Tapco or MD standard style gas plug

KVAR butt stock. The KVAR stock could be a $25 substitution from the tapco fixed. Tapco stocks do make your build look and feel cheap but the standard one is functional. Their folders are cheasy.

Factory forend, with upcharge for tapco or KVAR. I actually like the tapco forend, and the KVAR is much nicer

No holes tigged,

paint touched up with Dupicolor DE1634

Tapco G2 that you profile the hammer. (Saves you $15, and it will be nicer than drop in for 10 or less minutes of your labor)

Ports bumped up as needed, and included in basic price.

A level II package with tigged holes and KVAR front end, and a full strip and refinish for more $$$ makes sense.

Full custom can be more than your base rate since it breaks the flow.

For pricing, look at the basic service that JTE offers. It's pretty reasonable, and he can offer a lot of additional value that comes from vast experience. You'll need to beat his price and at least match his turn around to be a good deal.  He also has the skill and tools to deal with much more complex tuning issues, and has earned the rep to charge a little more for his work. He still has a competitive price for his no-frills package though. If you want to be in business, you are going to need to beat him and a couple others by a decent margin on value until your reputation has been built. 

I don't mean to be harsh, but that's the economic reality. I do my own work, but if I were choosing between hiring an established smith who doesn't BS me like Jack, or a guy I don't know...  And that's at equal pricing.

It only takes a few disappointed guys who buy from you and come here to tank your reputation forever, so you really need to start out as a good deal, but with a margin for labor. Most small businesses plan not to make money for the first few months. And let's be honest. After your first one, a bolt on conversion is about 45 minutes to drop in the parts, and another 20 minutes for paint and stuff. Add 20-60 minutes for function testing and port work if needed. I'm not asking you to work for free, but you are charging ~$300 more than an established full service shop for what if you're objective is about the same parts list with ~$90 worth of stuff on the forend more than his package. You billed it as more than a home build, but nothing is on your offerings page that isn't an option in a home build package.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

-- All of that is far below what TROMIX offers. That's a basic service. In fact, I was basically just paralleling what JTE offers as a basic package, but substituting in a rivet trigger guard rather than a CSS screw on. 

As for hammer profiling, from a stock g2 to a very finely tuned trigger job took me 40 minutes my first time. I took my time with the hammer and it took less than 10 minutets. I am sure if you batch them on a belt sander, they would be closer to 2 minutes each.

Port work is frankly easy. You should be able to get most gas blocks off in under 10 minutes with an occasional one that will be a fight. I used a framing hammer and a chunk of aluminum to prevent marring my first time. My third one was done with my cousin in a camp ground with $9 or so worth of tools from a near by wall mart, plus a piece of fire wood, a hatchet and a cordless drill. You can get a hydraulic shop press for around a hundred bucks at harbor freight. This is not a tool intensive job. You'll just need a few good stubby punches and about $10 in drill bits. 

Tigged holes are premium

I would take Guns Funs Advice. these things listed should be standard on a quality conversion....

True that. Especially the sporter fcg holes. There are some really fancy dressed up bolt on s12's that command a premium but have either plugs or Allen head screws in place to fill them.

As of right now...I am using nylon hole plugs for the FCG holes...heated and bent over on the inside so they won't work back out.  The look like rivets from the outside of the gun.

I don't mean to be harsh, but that's the economic reality. I do my own work, but if I were choosing between hiring an established smith who doesn't BS me like Jack, or a guy I don't know...  And that's at equal pricing.

It only takes a few disappointed guys who buy from you and come here to tank your reputation forever, so you really need to start out as a good deal, but with a margin for labor. Most small businesses plan not to make money for the first few months. And let's be honest. After your first one, a bolt on conversion is about 45 minutes to drop in the parts, and another 20 minutes for paint and stuff. Add 20-60 minutes for function testing and port work if needed. I'm not asking you to work for free, but you are charging ~$300 more than an established full service shop for what if you're objective is about the same parts list with ~$90 worth of stuff on the forend more than his package. You billed it as more than a home build, but nothing is on your offerings page that isn't an option in a home build package.

I know that you are just trying to help me get to a good start...but I really do feel that there are some differences between what JTE is offering and what I am offering.

The parts are different, the method of ordering is different, etc...and I don't think that it is an accurate analysis to state that I am charging $300 more for the same service.  JTE's price is labor only, mine isn't.  It is not the same package.

And I am afraid that you have made assumptions that I am not going to be doing a "finished job" conversion for my customers...I am.  The FCG holes are plugged, the bottom of the receiver refinished, the gun test fired...drums fitted...etc.  

You are obviously very knowledgeable and experienced on the subject, and have given some very good advice.  I intend to take all of your suggestions very seriously.

I do wish that you would avoid directly comparing what I am offering to the other Business Members' offerings though.  JTE, Red Jacket, Tac47, Tromix...they all do what they do very well.  I didn't start this thread to compare myself to them.  I definitely do NOT intend bash their work or act like mine is superior.  I started this thread in the hopes of advertising something a little different...and to get valuable input and advice from backbone members such as yourself.

Well, more options are better, and the more smiths offering good conversions on the market the better. I'm always happy to see people succeed.

If re-finish  the underside of the receiver means you do more than  touch up the underside of the receiver with a matching spray paint, then you should probably spell it out so people know they are getting the value.

You are right that I forgot to factor in the cost of the kit with the JTE service, but there is still a gap in costs. I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything. If you take gun + around 200 of included parts, then the rest can only be attributed to labor.

I do think you can improve your margins and make a better gun by doing your own trigger modifications, and using a different trigger guard. 

There's nothing wrong with a competent home conversion kit type build, or screws either. if your test fire includes a guarantee to run 3 dram equivalent ammo, then you are offering something of value- especially to those who are afraid to do the simple work it may take to get there. This can be your selling point if you make a clearly defined guarantee.

• Like 1

So, let me get this straight. You don't currently have an FFL (yet), but are advertising FFL services and quotes to forum members, and bouncing off JT Engineering to establish your price structure.

This may seem like a dumb question, but before you qualify for a business membership, don't you need an actual FFL and a business license, before you begin to solicit business here?

• Like 1

So, let me get this straight. You don't currently have an FFL (yet), but are advertising FFL services and quotes to forum members, and bouncing off JT Engineering to establish your price structure.

This may seem like a dumb question, but before you qualify for a business membership, don't you need an actual FFL and a business license, before you begin to solicit business here?

I don't see why you would. A "business license" is not even a thing in a lot of places, and the internet sure doesn't give a shit. It's perfectly legal to advertise FFL services for the future - actually delivering them without a license would be illegal.

• Like 1

You are right that I forgot to factor in the cost of the kit with the JTE service, but there is still a gap in costs. I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything. If you take gun + around 200 of included parts, then the rest can only be attributed to labor.

I do think you can improve your margins and make a better gun by doing your own trigger modifications, and using a different trigger guard. 

I want to avoid totally giving away my margins (you are really stripping me bare here Gunfun! LOL ;) )...but suffice it to say that when you factor in all of the upgrade parts that I use in my conversion (don't forget the stock!), and shipping costs from multiple vendors, MY cost ends up being more than $200.  I am not gouging anyone...I promise :)

Now...of course, once I have developed relationships with vendors, and built up enough business, I will be able to get slightly better prices on parts, and reduce shipping costs as well.  But I am not there yet, and probably won't be for some time.

I am going to look into the MD trigger guard and riveting for reducing costs as you suggested.  I am somewhat in love with the CSS trigger guard though...it will be hard to convince myself to change :).

There's nothing wrong with a competent home conversion kit type build, or screws either. if your test fire includes a guarantee to run 3 dram equivalent ammo, then you are offering something of value- especially to those who are afraid to do the simple work it may take to get there. This can be your selling point if you make a clearly defined guarantee.

Glad to hear you say so Gunfun!  I was starting to think that you were against anything that wasn't welded...and I just don't think that welding (and the refinish work that goes with it) fits into my business model right now.

I do agree with you that rivets are a nice touch.  And originally, I had intended to use rivets on the trigger guard, but then I ABSOLUTELY fell in love with the CSS guard, and I don't believe that there would be any way to use rivets with it.  Besides, the way that the CSS guard is designed, you don't see or notice the screws unless you are looking inside the gun itself.  I use locktite on the screws, so once it's on...it's not coming back off.

I may go ahead and see if I can come up with an efficient way to use rivets instead of hole plugs on the FCG holes though...what do you think of that idea?

The FCG plugs are ok as a basic conversion but I would definately offer welding the holes as an option. Looks much better.

If I could come up with an efficient way to rivet the holes...would that have appeal?