I just got my new saiga 7.62x39 a couple weeks ago. I am very excited since this is my only rifle besides my ruger 10/22 I've had since I was a kid. Just made my first trip to the range and wow this gun is fun to shoot. Its shooting about 5-6 inches right at 75 yard. I am looking for some advice from some experienced saiga shooters on if I should buy the $10 or so tool for to adjust the front sight or spend the $80 or so on a windage adj rear leaf. Thanks in advanced from a new member.

That’s really up to you if you want to upgrade or not....   Whatever you do you it’s probably still a good idea to get the front sight tool. I have the   Tapco AK/SKS Military Grade Windage & Elevation Sight Tool and it’s very solid but you still need to oil the shit out of it before moving.  IMO for the money the Tapco is the best one out there, I’ve seen them on eBay for under < $20 shipped to US lower 48 states. Good luck with your new Saiga, there are many good rifles out there but it’s hard to find anything more fun to shoot.

Tapco makes a handy front sight adjustment tool that will adjust your windage with no problem.  I bought one for my IZ-132 a couple of years ago, and it made windage adjustment a breeze.  Don't get a new leaf--IMHO, the nice thing about the AK-type front sights is that once you adjust windage once, you never will have to do so again.  If you get a new leaf, you'll lose that advantage.

Oil does help, usually anything but penetrating oil is best, occasionally and this only happened once, I had a front sight that would not move at all, I actually bent the tapco it would not budge. The expensive beefed up adjustment tool,magna-matic, is worth every penny, you really cant break it, and I can put a cheater bar on for really stuck ones if oil does not work.

• Like 1

Oil does help, usually anything but penetrating oil is best, occasionally and this only happened once, I had a front sight that would not move at all, I actually bent the tapco it would not budge. The expensive beefed up adjustment tool,magna-matic, is worth every penny, you really cant break it, and I can put a cheater bar on for really stuck ones if oil does not work.

+1 to that advice.  When I used the Tapco on my IZ-132 for the first time, I put some CLP on the front sight base to ensure that it would move.  Be very careful to make sure that the contact point for your sight adjuster is carefully lined up with the sight block if you encounter any resistance.  I have heard some accounts of people ruining their sight adjustment tools because they didn't line them up properly, and they ended up pressing against the non-moving part of the sight block.

Also, if the sight starts to move and then doesn't want to move, try adding a little more oil and then moving it the other way to get it freed up.  Have a good zeroing session!