Bonesteel Arms

Are they a trustworthy viable company? I ordered a folding stock adaptor for my saiga 12 from them a little over a week ago. First there was a temp charge on my credit card. Then it later disappeared.

So I emailed the company yesterday and have not received a response.

If you placed an order, and didn't hear anything until it was ready, it was most likely because the machinist, gunsmith, office person, shipping person was busy getting your order out.

Everyone who orders a build, or parts feels like an expectant father (or mother under the right circumstances). No one ever gets an order soon enough, and builders and machinists always want to deliver the absolute best work and products possible and please their customers.

Often, impatience, and expectations are frustrated by the actual process of creating and perfecting the product to the customers satisfaction.

I can assure anyone who starts a thread about the competence of a particular shop, before their build or order is finished, or before the have even contacted the business, is most likely pissing in the wind.

Occasionally, there is a vendor who makes a lot of noise, creates unreasonable expectations, and offers products for prices which seem too good to be true. If you have placed an order with someone like this, you are likely to be disappointed.

In my experience Chris Bonesteel is a skilled craftsman, a stand up guy, and delivers an excellent, and correctly engineered product for a reasonable price.

By and large, when you buy from vendors on this forum, you are purchasing American products, produced by uniquely skilled, American, Artisans, Craftsmen, and Manufacturers.

When one creates a thread, apparently intentioned to malign one of these craftsmen, because one wants what one wants right NOW, in hopes of creating a sense of urgency on behalf of the Crafstman/Machinist/Gunsmith, one wastes ones own time, and that of the individual who is commissioned to do the work.

A true craftsman may take the time to answer politely, file the inquiry, and go about his work. Ultimately, the item ordered will be delivered and shipped when it is ready. If you are successful in coopting the craftsman to hurry and cut corners to deliver, believe me, you have completely rolled the dice, and have done yourself no favors. Just to be clear, we will not promise a build by a date certain. Anyone who knows Saigas or Veprs understands that each gun is different, and that each custom build will present a unique set of challenges.

Cookie cutter services, offer cookie cutter pricing, and demonstrably, cookie cutter results.

In terms of contracting skilled American craftsmanship, true craftsmanship = time, and skill, and devotion to ones craft.

If you want something fast, and cheap - that is likely exactly what you will receive.

There is no magic with regard to a high quality US crafted custom or product. If you order Chinese flooring, you can expect next day delivery. If you order quality firearms work, from a skilled American craftsman, or machinist - expect and appreciate the time it takes to create what you have commissioned, or ordered.

• Like 4

Good post Mike, well explained for the people who don't understand those things and have unrealistic expectations.

The problem now with e-commerce if you are not Amazon, is that people expect immediate updates, tracking and packages to show up the next day for free.

• Like 1

Thanks to juggernaut and fatty alcohol for the reasonable answers to my reasonable question.

As to the rest, after I posted

I just got a shipping notice so I guess it's all good.

and the thread really was over, I view it only as a lot of bloviating and talking down to me which really wasn't needed.

So much talk of "skilled craftsmen" as if that negates any need for customer service or a simple answer to an email. We're not talking about demanding that Michelangelo finish the Sistine Chapel ceiling in 3 days, we're talking about a simple email asking as to why the charge to my card had been removed, and if there was any problem with the order of a simple folding stock adaptor. An email which never was answered by the way, my problem was solved when I got an automated shipping email.

In my 30 years as a "skilled craftsman", an employer of "skilled craftsmen", and as a contractor I learned early on what was important. Quality of work, timely completion of work, and quick response to customer concerns. A lack of customer service due to a person considering themselves to be a "skilled craftsman" is merely a cop out by someone in a niche market who thinks way too highly of themselves.

• Like 2

Thanks to juggernaut and fatty alcohol for the reasonable answers to my reasonable question.

and the thread really was over, I view it only as a lot of bloviating and talking down to me which really wasn't needed.

So much talk of "skilled craftsmen" as if that negates any need for customer service or a simple answer to an email. We're not talking about demanding that Michelangelo finish the Sistine Chapel ceiling in 3 days, we're talking about a simple email asking as to why the charge to my card had been removed, and if there was any problem with the order of a simple folding stock adaptor. An email which never was answered by the way, my problem was solved when I got an automated shipping email.

In my 30 years as a "skilled craftsman", an employer of "skilled craftsmen", and as a contractor I learned early on what was important. Quality of work, timely completion of work, and quick response to customer concerns. A lack of customer service due to a person considering themselves to be a "skilled craftsman" is merely a cop out by someone in a niche market who thinks way too highly of themselves.

So you got your shipping notice & the thread was over for you, but not for the people trying to clean up your mess.

Sorry bro, you can explain all you want but your post suggested that the company wasn't legit, and all because you were too impatient to wait more than a day for a reply.  Also, because you didn't understand how credit card processing works, you were suggesting that the company was incompetent or doing something dishonest.

• Like 1

So you got your shipping notice & the thread was over for you, but not for the people trying to clean up your mess.

Sorry bro, you can explain all you want but your post suggested that the company wasn't legit, and all because you were too impatient to wait more than a day for a reply.  Also, because you didn't understand how credit card processing works, you were suggesting that the company was incompetent or doing something dishonest.

I did not imply a damn thing. I simply asked a question. Not real hard to understand if you go ahead and think it through.

• Like 3

one thing a person needs on this particular site is a very thick skin.

Yes, I agree you need thick skin around here.  It's also one if not the reason why we have declining membership/participation here.  It's a hard lesson this forum is learning, but all too often people come off as assholes.  What Mike is saying sounds legit, but I really don't think it was necessary in this case.  ryr8828 makes one post inquiring if he should be concerned about his order.  The correct answer was posted by Jaugernaught.  No, Bonesteel arms is legit, time to move on.  Bickering back and forth on this site is often all too common.  I'll admit, in the past I've been apart of it.  But it's my hope that we can move past this shit or at least the majority of it.

Cut the newbie a break!

Flame away...

Edited: sp

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 3
  • 9 months later...

Are they a trustworthy viable company? I ordered a folding stock adaptor for my saiga 12 from them a little over a week ago. First there was a temp charge on my credit card. Then it later disappeared.

So I emailed the company yesterday and have not received a response.

Our stocks were crap, we sent them in back to Chris so he would "take a look at them", after that he never replied.  Emails, calls, he had other things to do.  We're out of $350, nobody gives a crap.  Chris is stil in biz doing his thing, the fact that we're out of $350 doesn't bother him. 

Yep, live and learn, pay for the lessons.

Happy New Year. 

in my experience Chris Bonesteel is a skilled craftsman, a stand up guy, and delivers an excellent, and correctly engineered product for a reasonable price.

lol, if you see Chris ask him, how it feels in his experience to charge accounts, send crap product, and then just say hey, I got other things to do rather then replying to all these annoying people. 

Edited by zarus