These guys have some great vids.  Crazy fucks will shoot anything out of a shotgun.  I've seen some very expensive "exotic ammo" at gun shows.  Now I'mma load my own.  I had been given some rounds with a stack of steel blanks that were fukin devastating.  After seeing this, a stack of dimes will do quite well when some dumb fuck says 'gimme all yer money'haha.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef6bF4tbtO4

Saw one vid of folks making 12 ga spike loads.  All loads with fins to induce spin went way off course, and if they did hit the 1/4" stainless plate, just dented it.  The one load that was similar to an armor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot load for a tank hit and pierced the plate on the first shot.  That would be great for punching BP glass!  Only problem is that none of those loads would work in a pump or auto shotgun. 

too be honest the most I go is taking birdshot and loading hot glue with #4 buckshot, cheap back up home defense/hunting/ plinking load, never had a problem. This shit looks kind of stupid.

About the farthest ive gone is putting a couple steel bearings in the bottom of my wax slugs, to test for better accuracy.  inconclusive 

too be honest the most I go is taking birdshot and loading hot glue with #4 buckshot, cheap back up home defense/hunting/ plinking load, never had a problem. This shit looks kind of stupid.

About the farthest ive gone is putting a couple steel bearings in the bottom of my wax slugs, to test for better accuracy. inconclusive

I have to mix it in otherwise they wont fly quite right, If I just want to scatter it I use wax instead of got glue, the wax and pellets mixed in crumbles easily but will hold the shot in until discharge. Hot glue tends to hold together alot so lighter stuff wont exit out of the glue upon impact, like a super glaser safety slug thats why I use #4 or copper BBs.

There's always some 'tard who will light his head on fire if he thinks it would get him some youtube traffic. I make a point of not rewarding that kind of behavior with clicks. Add into it that they reinforce an argument that gun owners are irresponsible rednecks, and I have a selfish incentive to shun demolition ranch et al.

• Like 4

True. Like "cut shot" was a thing of necessity in my Grandpa's day, with paper shells, and that's all that was available. Not so much anymore, but some ijjit finds out about it and put's it on youtube. Surprise!.... We can buy slugs at WallyWorld now.

There's always some 'tard who will light his head on fire if he thinks it would get him some youtube traffic. I make a point of not rewarding that kind of behavior with clicks. Add into it that they reinforce an argument that gun owners are irresponsible rednecks, and I have a selfish incentive to shun demolition ranch et al.

>>Add into it that they reinforce an argument that gun owners are irresponsible rednecks

Even if these videos are mildly entertaining, that's the problem I have with them too.

All we need is one of these idiots to have their face blown off with M&M's or an AA battery in their chest at autopsy and the anti crowd will use that for fuel that gun owners just can't be trusted.

There are some who push the bounds but with a level of scientific inquiry and some actual knowledge of the physics. i.e. taofledermaus. I'll watch his channel, but I think he should make  a point of mentioning that he actually checks the weight of ejecta against the orignal load, etc in each video. Otherwise there will be some 14 year old kid on a farm in nebraska who will think it is OK to shove a tent stake into his 870 and pull the trigger.

• Like 1

News flash!  They're gonna take em anyhow.  It's only a matter of time.  Remember...  It's for the children and if it saves just one child it's so worth it.

While I would normally agree with boycotting this type of site, I'm just plain sick of the bull shit.  I'm tired of kissing retards asses so that I can keep my god given right.  Let these idiots do what they want and I'll keep watching.  Am I gonna load spark plugs or batteries?  No.  Wax or even hot glue?  Yup!  Will I try a couple of "bonus" rounds?  Yup!

Edited by Big John!

Your going to find that most of the "exotic loads" are just crap.

The stack of dimes was done by myth busters and found to be less dangerous to the shootie than regular old lead.

Some of the most devastating shotgun projectiles ever made, are sold over the counter for deer hunting. 

I have played around with making safety slugs out of several materials, lead wire and punched lead disks both worked very well.

Shotguns lack the velocity needed for most AP methods to work, tungsten won't cut steel until around 2000 fps. And steel won't cut Kevlar until above 3000 fps. 

Also, steel ball bearings are VERY dangerous to shoot, they can about bounce back off of dirt.

• Like 4

There are some who push the bounds but with a level of scientific inquiry and some actual knowledge of the physics. i.e. taofledermaus. I'll watch his channel, but I think he should make  a point of mentioning that he actually checks the weight of ejecta against the orignal load, etc in each video. Otherwise there will be some 14 year old kid on a farm in nebraska who will think it is OK to shove a tent stake into his 870 and pull the trigger.

Why ya gotta pick on Nebraska?

Everyone knows it's the

Idiots

Out

Wandering

About

You have to watch out for.

The only "exotic" load that I can think of that actually shows some promise and is in actual use is the "Balle Fleche" shotgun slugs by Sauvestre. (France)

post-6253-0-82433600-1395777802.gif

(shown here compared to Brenneke-style slug)

They do appear to have some very impressive penetration for the relatively little velocity. There is this one image showing a very impressive wound channel in ballistic gel. Unfortunately I was unable to locate a larger image.

post-6253-0-54616200-1395777905.jpg

I'm not sure if these are available in the US or if they can even be imported. It would be interesting to try a few out for myself and see if their claims hold up.

The DDuplex Hexolit series is very effective and probably qualifies as exotic. They also have a frangible slug for LE that is basically varmint grenade for varmints that have constitutional rights. I've seen enough ballistic testing on them and also pictures/ video of dangerous game to consider them serious.

Brass fetcher's website has an interesting ballistic analysis on them too. I wish I had the money to buy a bunch when SGAMMO was selling them way under normal prices.

And yes, those sauvestre slugs look pretty cool on paper. But the last time I tried to find them for sale, they were over $20 a shot in the US. For that money, I'll empty a whole MD20 of Rio Brenneke's down range.

"new reduced pricing" 

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=AM1847

I believe these guys are the exclusive importer. They got DDupleks too, which jacked the prices up.

Well, its $21 for a box of six,so really its $3.50 a shot. Still not quite cheap enough to entice me.

That's now. Not what it was before. Current prices would probably be worth it for people who hunt in shotgun only areas and want to make the most of limited opportunities. Say buy $63 worth and carefully adjust your scope to find the drop, keeping 7 or so for the hunt. (Having first dialed in windage with something more common)

Meh, Sabot'ed slugs in a smoothbore never worked out good for me. Especially at the price of any of them.

Normal saboted slugs work differently. They are conventional rifle bullets that need spin stabilization. Many of them are muzzle loader bullets in a sabot, but lately there are more truly purpose built slugs. 

The Sauvestre design is a dart stabilized by the tail, like a super breneke with a more aerodynamic profile. It is supposed to have an abnormally flat trajectory and increased useful range. 

If you have a rifled barrel, the HiLo based ultra high velocity remington sabot slug is pretty interesting.

Changing the weight of the load for a given powder charge will change chamber pressure. That is where the DANGER comes in.

Not the only way to make a load dangerous to your self in this thread though.

Someone above mentioned putting in ball bearings. That's both less effective and much more dangerous. Steel is bouncy. It's lighter so it doesn't keep energy as efficiently as lead, but it can send a lot of that energy back toward you or someone else.

Edited by GunFun

I've been thinking about what the most crazy shell I ever fired was.. It was a 2 ounce wad slug made to slide firmly down the barrel, and loaded using a magnum 2 ounce shot loading.

Recoil was very stout to say the least. I shot two and was done with that crap.

I've been thinking about what the most crazy shell I ever fired was.. It was a 2 ounce wad slug made to slide firmly down the barrel, and loaded using a magnum 2 ounce shot loading.

Recoil was very stout to say the least. I shot two and was done with that crap.

What would a load like that be for? Rampaging hippos?

015.gif  holy crap GunFun, I have never heard of the DDuplex Hexolit until now! Those look crazy.

I am going to have to look at that Brass fetcher website to see what happens!

Thanks for mentioning it!

Have mercy!  Look at what those things do to gell...  Nothing usable left of your WHOLE chest.  Those are seriously bad ass.

• Like 1

I've got to ask. Have you never shot anything with slugs?

I shot a woodchuck with a regular old Remington foster slug. There was nothing left except mangled quarters with feet attached flying through the air. Deer usually don't go far either.