Ak47 suppressors...the class 3 bug bit me!

I've always wanted a class 3 toy but the long drive to a dealer always deterred me. But Recently I found out that a class 3 dealer is minutes away from me! I've been bitten by the suppressor bug but the problem is I can find only 1 ak47 suppressor(huntertown) and it has no reviews no video no anything that I can find about it. Is suppressing the ak47 just not a good idea? Does anybody here have any experience with a suppressed AK? After watching how incredibly well the .300 blackout can be suppressed its hard for me to believe that the similar 7.62x39 can't be. Or is my thinking flawed?

Edited by Yugopap4me

From what I understand subsonic 7.62x39 ammo is something your better off reloading yourself. Which is what I plan on doing if everything works out. Most videos ive seen of suppressed AKs use full powered factory loads. Needless to say the suppression level wasn't very impressive. As far as blown cans or baffle strikes go the "huntertown" ak47 silencer advertises that only a small removable back section of the suppressor is the registered part. So incase of a blowout or baffle strike it's easily fixable.

Edited by Yugopap4me

Shooting full power ammo in a suppressed gun gets rid of the BOOM, not the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. I can shoot my AR's without hearing protection, if I choose, same for my 9mm's. If you have a bad baffle strike and screw up the can, you can NOT just order parts and fix it on your own, and most producers have told me that if it's really screwed, they are not allowed to "fix" it, such as make a new one and transfer the serial #, you'll have to scrap it, notify the alphabet people, then buy a new one. So what ever you buy, make damn sure it's aligned with the bore of your gun or guns. I saw somewhere on the web a week or two ago, there was a place making a 30 caliber can that they supplied different thread adapters for it, in all different threads, metric and standard. Nice thing about a 30 caliber can, is you can use it on .223 also. Check out yankee hill, they make a 30 cal. QD can that you can buy the flash hider that will also let you run it on .223. Once you're bitten, you'll want more and more and more, so shop around and get the biggest you'll need and try to make sure it can be adapted to the smaller calibers.

It's not like it is in the movies, you will get "some" noise, but with my 9mm, I hear the bolt slap before the thud of the bullet hitting the target, if I'm shooting SS rounds. If you are going to load your own, start out with a powder charge and walk it down, and always use a chronograph. I load some .223 and .308 rounds that are nice and quite, with the Hodgden pistol powder that looks like little doughnuts, I can't remember the name right now, I'd have to walk down stairs and look. Case volume is also a thing to be aware of, too little of some powders and you've got trouble. A squib is not any fun, and the round after it could be really bad for you and the gun.

• Like 1

7.62 sub loads are pretty much a reloaders game cept for one company im aware of and its pricey and states some mods to the gun are needed since its a much heavier round and I believe longer, reliable function maybe a issue as well. Like has been stated with normal loads the gun is quieter but you still hear the crack, round breaking the sound barrier. The kestrel is a multiple piece can so even with a baffle strike or end cap strike you should be ok. You send suppressor off and they replace damaged parts, they wont just mail you suppressor parts.  They say it has a " anything but stupid " warranty which I have yet to test and warranties like would have to be tested to see if its true. They also said they would offer a 24mm thread option for use on ak74's which never happened and I found out later like many that they would only send out a blank to have it I.D. threaded by your local smith, good fucking luck with that and im not happy at all with them about it. Luckily a few folk had some made up and I got one.

there are several vids of the kestrel ak can on the net

Edited by veprk

You can fit any  make suppressor you want on the AK as long as you machine the barrel for the adapter and/or thread the barrel. 

You will find the 7.62  Sub Sonic bullets are in the 200 grain range because you are so limited on velocity (1150 fps) to stay sub sonic so you want the most energy from a bullet you can get, i.e. 200 grains.

VEPRK hit on it a little bit, but you have to be very careful with sub sonic ammunition as baffle strikes become very common and that means very expensive!!!

This is because it is hard to reload with a great deal of repeatability for the .30 subsonic rounds.  Especially the larger cases like the .308 Winchester, although there may be a better powder out there that I am not familiar with since I used to play with it a few years ago.

Jack

• Like 1

@Redchallenger. The videos I've seen with the 300 blk are amazing. Especially the ones with the Daniel Defense interegal suppressor. I Literally only heard the bolt moving. I was actually considering selling my AKs to fund a 300 blk Ar15 until I saw the price of suppressors for the 300 blk. I just don't think I can justify a $1,000+ can plus a 200$ tax stamp. 600 dollars tax stamp included is alot more doable.

@Redchallenger. The videos I've seen with the 300 blk are amazing. Especially the ones with the Daniel Defense interegal suppressor. I Literally only heard the bolt moving. I was actually considering selling my AKs to fund a 300 blk Ar15 until I saw the price of suppressors for the 300 blk. I just don't think I can justify a $1,000+ can plus a 200$ tax stamp. 600 dollars tax stamp included is alot more doable.

Best advice I got when starting my search "Buy Once, Cry Once"

What was recommended to me for 762 was to buy a 308 can. Extra volume would help with suppression and make the can more versatile. More calibers to shoot. I got a deal on a Huntertown 762 and got it. Going to form 1 and sbr 107cr.

HTA advertises mount other mount but needs gunsmith to fit.

Check out Liberty or Thompson Machine they both have 762 units.

Edited by garnaz

Be aware that the AK gas block lets out quite a bit of noise so it will never be as quiet as an AR, even with ss ammo.

I gave some consideration to a can for the Pit Bull but decided it wasn't worth the trouble. A ss 300blk with a can really is hollywood quiet. The bullet hitting a paper target is louder than the gun.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

I am an AAC Stocking Dealer and that is my go to Suppressor, the 762SDN  Love it!!!!  That and the .22 Element.  It is Holly Wood quiet with sub ammo!!

Jack

My research led me to this can.  

But!  Silencerco (which I believe is now AAC) has the SAKO (sp?) which is a 30 cal can that has some sort of muzzle cap which will quiet 5.56 down even more in the 30 cal can.  Maybe Jack can chime in on this can.  Other than that, I really liked the 762sdn6.

better off using a piece of carpet and a vacant building. The AK is a no go on the suppressor. It's still loud as hell, it doesn't know what to do with all the extra gas and it will terrorize your weapon if you do not compensate for this by tuning it.

Don't look for a can specifically for the weapon, go by the caliber. You are looking for a .30 cal can or 7.62, not an AK can.

If you do decide to get a can, make sure it will fit on several other weapons as you will loose the fun factor on an AK quickly. Good luck!

• Like 1

From what I understand subsonic 7.62x39 ammo is something your better off reloading yourself. Most videos ive seen of suppressed AKs use full powered factory loads. Needless to say the suppression level wasn't very impressive.

Shooting full power ammo in a suppressed gun gets rid of the BOOM, not the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

If you have a bad baffle strike and screw up the can, you can NOT just order parts and fix it on your own, and most producers have told me that if it's really screwed, they are not allowed to "fix" it, such as make a new one and transfer the serial #, you'll have to scrap it, notify the alphabet people, then buy a new one. So what ever you buy, make damn sure it's aligned with the bore of your gun or guns.

You can fit any  make suppressor you want on the AK as long as you machine the barrel for the adapter and/or thread the barrel. 

VEPRK hit on it a little bit, but you have to be very careful with sub sonic ammunition as baffle strikes become very common and that means very expensive!!!

The sonic crack of center fire rounds is pretty loud.

Be aware that the AK gas block lets out quite a bit of noise so it will never be as quiet as an AR, even with ss ammo.

As much as I love AKs, they just don't suppress nearly as well as an AR. Darthsaigus nailed it about the gas block.

The AK is a no go on the suppressor. It's still loud as hell, it doesn't know what to do with all the extra gas and it will terrorize your weapon if you do not compensate for this by tuning it.

ALL of this is absolutely 100% correct and pretty much covers exactly what I would have said. I have nothing else to add. Listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about.

I own a redjacket BMF-AK suppressor (7.62). ... Its based on the Russian design if I recall and meant for both 47 and 74. Works fairly well on the 5.45

Its got one hell of a expansion chamber before the baffles. Although it knocks down a lot of the boom, you still have the sonic crack of course.

Might be some noise from gas tube I'm sure but I've never noticed.

Down range is where the advantage is anyway. No boom, just the sonic crack. 

Keep in mind, no flash is the largest benefit (in my opinion).

Also the construction is important. Yeah, steel is heavier, but can it handle a higher volume.....etc.

Edited by whatmanual

Silencerco is most surely not ACC. They are the two biggest in the market. I'd look at the Yankee hill machine phantom its the only quick detache in the industry that the manufactor makes a 14mm flash hider mount. That should tell you something.

Hey Yugo,

I looked at the link today at work, it says that they supply different threaded adapters. They use the old design of stacked baffles with spacers in between each one. I would "assume" that on the muzzle end, the spacer is machined into the threaded end (may not be), which will screw into the can and also onto the barrel. They also say that the "tube", which is the serialized part, is separate from the baffle stack, if you get a bad baffle struck, this "should" be OK, which would save your can, just replace the baffles and keep going. Most are going with a one piece baffle and if it gets burned out or struck, you have to replace the whole thing, and at $449.00, that's not a bad price.

I'd check with them about thread "adapter ends" for say 5/8x24 and 1/2x28 or what ever you need. For the price of the can and a few adapters, you would still come out cheaper than the others and have a can that will run on a bunch other different guns.

My Yankee Hill 9mm is not cleanable, and I learned the hard way to not shoot lead bullets thru it. I sent it back to Yankee Hill to be cleaned and they said "Yeh right", so I figured out something my self, not 100%, but got it to about 90-95%, my .223 can is sealed, so I don't shot any lead out of it and keep a check on the blast baffle.

If I had it to do over, I'd have bought cans that I could clean, but when you don't know, you pay the price and learn a lesson. Next ones will be able to be taken apart and cleaned, no matter what caliber.

Oh Yeh, Left hand threads on the barrel tend to tighten up the can, right hand threads tend to make it come loose. My .223 has the end cap to prove it, after a beta drum dump. :(

Edited by termite

I am an AAC Stocking Dealer and that is my go to Suppressor, the 762SDN  Love it!!!!  That and the .22 Element.  It is Holly Wood quiet with sub ammo!!

Jack

The AAC 762SDN is IMHO, the best .30 cal suppressor on the market. It is crazy quiet with Subs on .300 BLK. I really wanted to suppress my AKs and PAP. As stated, you can make it quieter, but the gas release at the gas block prevents it from truly being suppressed. Suppression is the only reason, I built a .300 BLK.

The 762sdn6 is the shit but to run it on an ak you'd have to have the thread pattern changed since AAC doesn't make a 14mm Mount. The saker from Silencerco is supposed to have different mount interfaces to be able to use aac and YHM flash hider mounts. As well as a direct thread on interface. But I highly doubt they would make a direct thread interface in 14mm. The saker in 556 is supposedly on the market right now but ask a dealer to get you one and see what they say. Also the saker is coming in 762 but I'm sure it will be a year plus before you see them for sale. Your best bet is a YHM phantom in stainless unless your willing to have the smith work to remove the barrel and thread it is you know someone with a lathe big enough and the correct tooling to thread the barrel while still in the receiver.

Also check out silencertalk.com there's tons of info on that site. All you need to know, legally and actually building your own silencer by filling out a form1 with the ATF.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=68EyU9-jA8iwsQTU2oGAAQ&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DrwLEdwywIJY&cd=3&ved=0CC0QtwIwAg&usg=AFQjCNF3vG66PMuyrRLgG0R12ZWNpiINlg&sig2=2FVjK5gT74yK9BO2G4Z58A

Also on the Phantom which is half the price of the AAC sdn6 doesn't have a spring to ware out on the silencer. In fact the Phantom had no moving parts on the silencer as part of the quick attach feature. All the moving parts on the Phantom are on the mount so when they ware out you can just change flash hider/mount not parts on the silencer. The AAC is lighter and what two decibels quieter. Also mounts are 100+ bucks each for the aac and 50 for the Phantom Mounts. All that adds up when you start using the can on all the rifles you can.

Hello

I run a Red Jacket 24mm threaded 7.62 suppressor on a Red Jacket SBR. It's no-hearing-protection quiet, but there is some gas blow-by at the receiver gas block.

I have no use for sub-sonic ammo, so have never loaded any. That's why I have AK's for my SBR's in the first place, since they seem to be the best choice ballistically. Why eliminate that advantage?

I run separate suppressors for my .308's and .556 weapons. Finding a bushing to step down from the 24mm threading that I could trust to be perfectly aligned was not worth the risk.

Don't know if Red Jacket still makes suppressors, but when I got mine they were available in either 24mm or 14mm LH. Completely cleanable.

Hope this helps,

-Guido in Houston

• Like 1

Silencerco is most surely not ACC. They are the two biggest in the market. I'd look at the Yankee hill machine phantom its the only quick detache in the industry that the manufactor makes a 14mm flash hider mount. That should tell you something.

That's good to hear.  I guess I got some bad info that AAC had bought them out.  I've stopped dealing with this LGS due to bad everything. 

Aac is owned by freedom group the same people who own Remington and several other arms and ammo companies. Silencerco I think is still a private company. AAC was private got bought out the person who started the AAC ended up having to take freedom group to court.

If you have access to even basic machining equipment you could do as good as red jacket yourself on a form 1 worth a mag light tube and some freeze plugs

Hello

That would be some terrific corrosion resistance, right there.

I don't believe there are hordes of companies out there producing suppressors for these weapons.

I'm attempting to help the OP with one that is (was) available, is not outrageously overpriced, and works reasonably well. You haven't offered any alternatives.

-Guido