Thetruthaboutguns.com vepr 12 review

• 3 weeks later...

I know all the guys I show videos or pictures to arent impressed. And these are ar guys. They all have the same comment "what would you use it for" I dont see how you can see it in action and not be in awe.

"Ignoring for a minute that it’s inside the trigger guard which is a huge safety concern to some people, the role reversal means that there’s no easy way to lock the bolt open when the gun runs dry. You need to insert and empty magazine and then rack the action back, which is an extra step for something so crucial." 

This guy has absolutely no business reviewing guns if he thinks this is the only way to lock the bolt back. It took me about all of 3 seconds to figure out how to lock the bolt open on my Vepr-12 without the use of an empty magazine.....Probably just another AR fan boy....

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Easy lewie...

I'm an AR fan, got a Siaga and converted it then I recently got a V12 and I too in mere seconds figured out how to do the same without a mag. 

Anyone with some common sense and observation can figure it out. 

Guess that leaves this reviewer out!

Yes, I felt it was a biased review and sells the V12 short.

Although I have had mine only a short time, I'm amazed at the out of the box usability.

Mine loves Federal bulk pack on up to 1800 fps slugs. Less than 200 rounds so far but no FTF or FTE's to date. 

My father has a MKA 1919 and I prefer the V12 over it or my modified S12 that took a huge amount of work and money to make it usable. 

if that was him on the video shooting,  I have underwear older then he is. sorry, but  I don't take any gun review with any degree of seriousness, from someone who still has baby fat, and  puts  milk on his face and lets a cat lick it off to shave,

did the AR15 board  buy that site, so the children  can go on there and video themselves shooting and pretend to know what they are talking about?

because it sure looks like it.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

if that was him on the video shooting, I have underwear older then he is. sorry, but I don't take any gun review with any degree of seriousness, from someone who puts milk on his face and lets a cat lick it off to shave,

Im young but trend to agree, although you can tell if someone has sense or not. I think that guy was already biased because of previous experience with the saiga12.

And he's an ar guy.

Here is a very honest review on our base Vepr 12 model. Notice all of the Vepr vs. Saiga comments bellow.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/foghorn/gun-review-vepr-12-shotgun/

Honest ? How about uninformed.

Its a shame you couldn't have had someone ( Like me, lol ) do a legit review about a platform they are familiar with.

I think he was being sarcastic.

• Like 2

I didn't mean to bash ARs by any means. I think I was just a little upset at the reviewers opinion. 

Edit: 4/30/14

I shot a Daniel Defense AR last weekend. I thought it was a very nice firearm. 

• 5 weeks later...

I disagree with that review. The VEPR 12 practically fixes all the problems of the Saiga and then some. Only gripe is the parts and mags arent completely interchangeable with the more popular Saiga 12 as well as the cheaper mags they use. Also, wish it had a ghost ring sight stock.....other than that its a beauty. This guy probably is an AR fanboy and already is prejudice since its an AK design. I too love ARs but I love AKs too. Hes probably a Benelli fanboy too which IMO are wayyyy over priced. $1500+ for a semi auto tube fed shotgun. And thats the only competition to the VEPR IMO. The VEPR is far superior to the Saiga, the Akdal MKA 19, and perhaps the semi auto Remingtons and Mossbergs. It was VEPR vs Benelli to me and for the price, I chose the VEPR 12. If I want a tube fed shotgun, I can grab my Remington 870. Great gun too, but for a semi auto, I think its silly still having to load up a tube. It negates the advantage of having a semi auto IMO. The AK pattern shotguns and the Akdal are really the only shotguns on the market except for a Mossberg pump conversion, that use detachable mags. And between the Saiga, Akdal, and VEPR, the choice was clear what the best one was and that what I got. I have no problem holding the bolt open, releasing the bolt, using the safety, etc. Its more ergonomic to me than my AR 15 IMO. I dont find the safety lever to be sharp either like a lot of people say. Only thing with this shotgun is why the rifle sights? Id put a shotgun bead or sight on the gas block and a ghost ring on the back of the dust cover. But easy enough to remedy. Im gonna try a Keltec SU 16 rear ghost ring on the rear of the rail and that should do the trick. But this thing rocks! I guess im not an ergonomic freak like some people. Im used to good ole military guns like the M1 Garand! Picked up an AR the first time and took me a minute to figure out how to pull the bolt back and release it and such. Too complicated! But still a nice weapon.

Asdaven there are many advantages tube feed shotguns have over box mag feed. The with a tube gun you can top off the mag on the go a round at a time. That's a big advantage a vepr12 our saying doesn't have. What a vepr12 does have is style and cool factor. Plus it's basically a usas12 which is in the same legal class as a howitzer

• Like 1

Asdaven there are many advantages tube feed shotguns have over box mag feed. The with a tube gun you can top off the mag on the go a round at a time. That's a big advantage a vepr12 our saying doesn't have. What a vepr12 does have is style and cool factor. Plus it's basically a usas12 which is in the same legal class as a howitzer

Yeah it depends. In a tactical or military situation with the tube magazine it might be useful to switch between ammo. Also, if you are very acquainted with a tube fed shotgun and/or add a round to the mag each time you shoot, it maybe a better choice. Like someone well aquainted with a pump shotgun that wants a semi-auto. To me, being more of a rifle guy and that shoots a AR-15 more often than my Remington 870 (which is still a great gun) , a magazine fed shotgun has many advantages. To me, carrying loaded magazines and changing mags is cleaner and quicker than fumbling around with individual rounds into a tube mag. But I guess it all depends on how you train and what your used to. But I like how the Saiga and the VEPR operate like a rifle.

If you have to keep up a steady rate of fire for a very long time then a tube fed would be preferable to me.  Obviously a Vepr is much faster at first until you have to stop and reload magazines which takes you out of the fight where a pump gun could keep shooting, albeit at a slow rate indefinitely.

If you have to keep up a steady rate of fire for a very long time then a tube fed would be preferable to me. Obviously a Vepr is much faster at first until you have to stop and reload magazines which takes you out of the fight where a pump gun could keep shooting, albeit at a slow rate indefinitely.

yep. But try firing 20 or 30 rounds from a pump like you can from a vepr12 they both have advantages. I think a vepr12 would be a better police gun and a tube better military gun.

If you have to keep up a steady rate of fire for a very long time then a tube fed would be preferable to me. Obviously a Vepr is much faster at first until you have to stop and reload magazines which takes you out of the fight where a pump gun could keep shooting, albeit at a slow rate indefinitely.

yep. But try firing 20 or 30 rounds from a pump like you can from a vepr12 they both have advantages. I think a vepr12 would be a better police gun and a tube better military gun.

True I guess. But with the tube you only have 5, 8, maybe 10 shots. Then you have to reload. With detachable mags, you have as much shots as you have in a magazine. And 12 round mags and 20 round drums exceed some of the largest tube mags. I just see it as multiple detachable mags vs one tube mag attacted to the shotgun. But if your really good at shooting and loading one for each shot I guess its better. Depends if you more familiar with a rifle or a pump shotgun. Im used to an AR 15 or an AK and other rifles, so I prefer the detachable mags. Im quick with my 870 shooting but not fast loading it. So to me, the VEPR 12 is quicker. Russia uses versions of the Saiga 12 and VEPR 12 for law enforcement and military. The US uses the 870 and Mossberg 500/590 and usually Benelli M4s for a semi auto. Which are nice. But those are practically twice as much in price as the VEPR. Other than AK shotgun designs and the MKA 19 (AR lookalike), I think only the Mossberg 930 or maybe the Rem 1100 gets close in price range for a semi auto 12 gauge. If the Benelli M4 came down 50% in price then yeah Id get one, but now ill just stick with VEPR or my 870 if I want a pump shotty.