Must Watch Knives Demonstration Video

I like this one better... He's not even trying to be intimidating (or trying in general) and he's the last guy I'd want mad at me, out of ammo, and within 10' of me (ignore 2:08... He could have probably cocked another one quicker than picking it up). Also, that's some solid advice and I purchased (with great results) based on this video.

Edited by Maxwelhse

I like this one better... He's not even trying to be intimidating (or trying in general) and he's the last guy I'd want mad at me, out of ammo, and within 10' of me. Also, that's some solid advice and I purchased (with great results) based on this video.

You know that's Gunfun right?

I like this one better... He's not even trying to be intimidating (or trying in general) and he's the last guy I'd want mad at me, out of ammo, and within 10' of me. Also, that's some solid advice and I purchased (with great results) based on this video.

GET OUT OF HERE! REALLY?

;)

No kiddin?!  :)   Hey Gunfun, is that a Paul Chen (Hanwei) sword on your desk? (I have the Musashi model.)

The first video is actually a supercut of one of the main reasons I prefer not to buy from cold steel. It's cool to see the meat cutting, but even that doesn't mean much. Any large knife or sword with a decent edge will do that. Possibly a fairly rough edge actually works better.

They use deceptive advertising and confuse people. When I was in high school they started with that whole hanging rope test thing and listed all their knives as having "cutting power" which roughly correlated to price. That's complete nonsense. Ability to cut something like rope is a measurement of technique not of the knife. It depends on fineness of edge, sharpening style some on blade length and profile, but those are all completely outweighed by the skill of the user. It's all about edge alignment and follow through.

Anyone who ever tried that kind of thing would immediately know better, but I knew a bunch of high school kids who bought their stuff specifically because of those videos, and claims. I also blame them for the retarded "tanto" point proliferation. Those just suck at being used as a knife and aren't really significantly stronger in the actual vulnerable point. Moreover, if you look at actual tantos, almost none of them have a point anything like that. Most of them are fairly slim and pointy, since they are used as a dagger. (it seems like the o kissakai profile was common, but I admit my knowledge on the topic is verry rusty) But they are still around. People still take them seriously. Good knives get made clunky to prove they can stab a barrel or car hood repeatedly. (i.e. standard profile saber grind spyderco endura 4) They've started or popularized a trend of designing knives to sound cool to meet arbitrary standards that have nothing to do with how knives are actually used. (much like James May's gripe about the effect of Nurburgring on automotive design)

*Hey I have a knife that doesn't slice smoothly and that is nearly impossible to hold at an angle which allows you to control a detail cut with the point, but it can stab a barrel 2 more whole times before the point snaps. Oh, and the point itself does snap or become bunt /blunter anyway.*- Cold steel has made a few decent to good products, but their prices have always been more than high enough to have covered buying a superior product elsewhere. 

Here is an excellent video on the topic of cutting videos.

I like this one better... He's not even trying to be intimidating (or trying in general) and he's the last guy I'd want mad at me, out of ammo, and within 10' of me (ignore 2:08... He could have probably cocked another one quicker than picking it up). Also, that's some solid advice and I purchased (with great results) based on this video.

Thanks for the praise, but I don't deserve most of that. I am a knife user, not a knife fighter. I know just enough about knife fighting to know I want to keep it that way. The same is true for guns. 2.08 is reality, which is why it stayed in.  If you think it would be useful, I can do a point by point video about a few methods of opening knives somewhat like the mag changing video, but better lit.

Edited by GunFun

No kiddin?!  smile.png   Hey Gunfun, is that a Paul Chen (Hanwei) sword on your desk? (I have the Musashi model.)

Yep. 4th gen practical plus. but I changed out the tsuba to one I really liked. I wish I could change out the menuki, because I really hate the ones there, but I know I'd never get the wrap on right. I bought a 3rd gen at around the same time and kept this one. I'd rather have a good western sword, but the practical or practical plus are about the cheapest swords that handle properly and can be used for moderate cutting. I think they are a good deal, but some of their fancier models are too fragile to use safely for cutting. I've been fortunate to handle antiques and modern custom test cutters.  the real ones tend to be a bit smaller, because their users were, and also because they were for wearing more than for fighting. These are still decent, but I wouldn't trust them not to break if you tried to fight with them. (The same is true to a lesser degree for the real thing too, but that's another discussion.) It's a lot easier to evaluate and buy a decent usable katana than a western sword and the cost of entry is about $300 less. Most people who do cutting probably would look down on something like this.

I used to do that as an untrained, and therefore unskilled hobby. I can cut well and fence against people who also don't know much about what they are doing.

p.s. I've talked with a guy here a while back who has 3 or 4 antiques, but I can't remember for sure who. 

Thanks for the praise, but I don't deserve most of that. I am a knife user, not a knife fighter. I know just enough about knife fighting to know I want to keep it that way. The same is true for guns. 2.08 is reality, which is why it stayed in.  If you think it would be useful, I can do a point by point video about a few methods of opening knives somewhat like the mag changing video, but better lit.

I DO think that would be a good video. Naturally, I WAS exaggerating, but you no doubt can handle the knife far in excess of most people. Maybe not in a fight...? I'm with you though, that's why I carry guns.

How about we shake loose some of this seriousness and have a little fun.  Watching guys cut shit up and split gelled body cavities open is just that. 

That WAS a fun video to watch. I suppose its sort of like ice carving with a chainsaw. It serves no purpose, but is neat anyhow.

Edited by Maxwelhse

How about we shake loose some of this seriousness and have a little fun.  Watching guys cut shit up and split gelled body cavities open is just that. 

I feel you, but this one is a personal pet peeve. The bad guys are winning, and that ticks me off. I want people who make good knives and are honest about them to make money, not cold steel and cutco.

I did say the meat cutting was cool. There are a few fun videos that guys who look like the comic book store guy did testing several proper historical repros against pigs and stuff. It's interesting to see how much meat can get cut even from a blow that allows proper recovery and guard. It isn't quite as dramatic, but two quick blows which split the head to the jaw and then sever the shoulder bone without an exaggerated opening is pretty intimidating too. The fluid transition is the part that impresses me more than the ultimate depth of cut.

I like watching the top mat cutters just for the hang time cuts, even though I know those guys are wide open for each of those dramatic sweeps.

• 4 weeks later...