Its not official yet, but 5.45x39 surplus is in danger.

Apparently someone built a pistol for 5.45x39 and as predicted by many people over the years.

The ATF is apparently making a move to ban the importation of surplus 5.45x39.

I'd suggest writing letters and making whatever noise is possible about this issue.

Oddly, even when better than half of the ammo supply is "armor piercing", the ATF moves on the ammo vs. the handful of pistols.

Copes distributing stated that they received that same answer from ATF import branch.

If this turns out to be nothing but crap I will be very happy to be wrong.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately, I don't yet have a 5.45, but this e-mail from Classic pissed me off.  Like I'm sure many are...  I'm fuckin tired of the panic bull shit.

Let the panic buying begin.

Till proven ABSOLUTELY wrong I will consider this another scam to drive up demand for 5.45x39 ammo. It did what was intended, I.E. it started a panic amongst the plebes and drove demand way out of pro

The panic buying is pretty much over.. Most of the larger suppliers are already out of stock.

I contacted GOA, I'd suggest writing to everyone and anyone demanding action to stop this stupidity.

True, but all the smaller suppliers will soon be out as well. Ive already contacted GOA, NRA and NAGR. But like everything else in our government, they'll do as they wish and shit on the people.

Honestly, I have not shot surplus 5.45x39 in almost three years. Its just not cheap enough to justify cleaning and the like.

And the "steel core" is nothing special at all, it won't do much of anything to steel plates that lead core .223 won't do... So calling it AP ammo is a lie anyway.

• Like 2

I have no clue why ATF would approve making a pistol that has steel core as its most readily available form of ammo.. Would that not be counter productive to the goal of the law?

Well they did illegally traffic guns and explosives into Mexico.

• Like 3

I have no clue why ATF would approve making a pistol that has steel core as its most readily available form of ammo.. Would that not be counter productive to the goal of the law?

look out this is the new BATF. if WE or ONE OF US makes it, they have to rule on it from current regulations. they lawyered up in the past 1/2 decade. if you make it new, they pretty much look at it and have to interpret the item into law and tax you. i dont blame those folks, or you guys. I blame the retards that put the burden on us to destroy our own thing.

Edited by Ben Vampatella

Wow, they can suck a nut. The ATF should have been disbanned years ago after Ruby Ridge and Waco, but def. after the F&F bullshit. Why are these asshats even allowed to determine such horseshit?

Of course it would have to be right after I build a 74m.

What prick thought this would be a good idea after seeing what happened to the chinese ammo?

Better buy it now on the cheap, an stack it deep.

If I was you, I'd either go into debt to put away at least 5-10K rounds, that or sell the gun.

I just got another case of 7.62x39 put aside, wishing I could afford several more.

One of Obama's current EOs has the potential to ban all Russian Firearms/Ammo imports.

Russia invading the Ukrainian Crimea was a great excuse for him to do that.

• Like 2

I'm reading a few forums that a couple importers are not getting the same info. Maybe this is an office screw up and everything is fine?

Who knows.. Maybe they are getting so many phone calls they are figuring this is a bad idea.

Why is it on this site some constantly want to make a fight amongst ourselves, rather than unite to fight for all of us against those wanting to take away our rights?

Kruschev  once said "we will defeat you from within", and it looks as though he may have been right. Is that the same fate for us PRO 2A?

Edited by Dogster
  • Like 2

Why is it on this site some constantly want to make a fight amongst ourselves, rather than unite to fight for all of us against those wanting to take away our rights?

Point taken. I wasn't trying to poke a stick at anybody. But honestly the rumor mill has been killing us for almost 2 years now. I still can't find 22lr for under .12/rnd anywhere, and there is no one to blame but the ones hording it. If we don't regulate our own, and chastise those whom exploit it, then we'll continue to be our own worst enemies.

• Like 2

I dont see it as fighting amongst ourselves, but rather as the ones who really care having to sort through the bullshit. Let them ban it. Fuck'em. That just means that there will be a demand for it, and that an American producer(s) will step up production. (I would hope)

My point being, how many of you really think the ATF gives a fuck about what we think? Its always been about what they think is best for us, and thats how its going to be. Just look at 7.62x39 bans. How long has it been proven that its NOT an AP round? Its a power trip. I guess the fucktards at the ATF are looking for something to give them a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Perhaps you are right. If we do nothing, the problem will go away or resolve itself. I apologize if I came off as the sky is falling. Maybe this is not the proper venue for an old man's rants about rights..

Guess I wasted the 22 years I spent defending them

Edited by Dogster

The thing is with the internet giving people a way to get in touch we have the upper hand in numbers.

If we all complain loudly enough before it gets off the ground then something can possibly be done.

The 7.62x39 ban was decided for months before the average shooter heard anything about it. Tell everyone and it will be harder to get this to happen.

Perhaps you are right. If we do nothing, the problem will go away or resolve itself. I apologize if I came off as the sky is falling. Maybe this is not the proper venue for an old man's rants about rights..

Calling REPS, writing letters to the ATF, encouraging other shooters to do the same: useful. 

Calling importers and distributors, and panic buying: harmful.

Of course it would have to be right after I build a 74m.

What prick thought this would be a good idea after seeing what happened to the chinese ammo?

Better buy it now on the cheap, an stack it deep.

If I was you, I'd either go into debt to put away at least 5-10K rounds, that or sell the gun.

I just got another case of 7.62x39 put aside, wishing I could afford several more.

One of Obama's current EOs has the potential to ban all Russian Firearms/Ammo imports.

Russia invading the Ukrainian Crimea was a great excuse for him to do that.

I did right after reading this thread, good excuse to get something I already wanted, this puts me up to about 5k.

• Like 1

They don't really have a choice. Firearm designs aren't approved, per se - they're classified. Send in a sample weapon to the tech branch, and they tell you what it is.

If it's legally classified as a pistol, that's all she wrote.

This week alone, I have sent 6 different e mails to my Senators, Congressmen, the Governor, and my State reps as well over topics affecting military and veterans pay & benefits, military strength, gun ownership, and today, this little matter. I strongly encourage you all to do the same, and remind them, we VOTE!

• Like 1

Dont take it the wrong way. Its a simple thing, really. Your showing your concern. Thats good. Its not about an old mans rants, as it is about the whole picture of tyranny rearing its cunt like head, yet again, and most people accept it. And for the record, tyranny is just as plausible today, as it was 239 yrs. ago.

And for the voting crowd, Its hard for me to vote for the lesser of two evils when Im still voting for evil none the less. The bottom line is they are going to do what they want, regardless of what we say and do. And thats not doom and gloom, its fact, as history has shown us this.

• Like 1

I still can't find 22lr for under .12/rnd anywhere

I can find it for  $0.05-0.10 almost everyday on GunBot.

It doesn't last long when posted, but it is available at reasonable prices.

You just have to be online an watching.

What I like about GunBot, is that I set my minimum price, and it gives me a loud Alert tone when it pops up.

"Good deal" threshold (red text) = 10 cents per round

Last refreshed: 17:34:29 MST (page will auto refresh when something new is found)

Federal Premium Champion Target Ammo, .22 LR, 40-gr., LRN 9 hours ago $0.05/rd [$2.49] in stock   [Gander Mountain] Federal Premium 22 LR Champion Ammunition 9 hours ago $0.05/rd [$24.99] in stock   [Gander Mountain] Federal 22 Long Rifle 38 gr. HP Game Shock Hi Velocity 50 Rounds *SOLD OUT* 8 hours ago $0.06/rd [$2.96] out of stock   [Midsouth Shooters] CCI AMMO 22LR QUIET-22 LRN 960 50 BOX *SOLD OUT* 12 hours ago $0.07/rd [$3.49] out of stock   [Trop] Winchester Super-X Rimfire - .22LR 37gr Super-Speed HP 100/Box X22LRHSS1 *SOLD OUT* 9 hours ago $0.08/rd [$7.99] out of stock Hunting [Natchez] CCI Target And Plinking Ammunition .22 LR 40 gr. CPRN *SOLD OUT* 9 hours ago $0.08/rd [$7.99] out of stock   [Gander Mountain] CCI Blazer 22 Long Rifle Ammo 40 Grain Lead Round Nose *SOLD OUT* 5 hours ago $0.08/rd [$3.99] out of stock   [TargetSportsUSA] Remington REMTB22A 22 LR 40gr RN, Box of 50 *SOLD OUT* 6 hours ago $0.09/rd [$4.25] out of stock   [bullets dotcom] Federal Champion Fresh Fire 22 Long Rifle Ammo 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point Sealed Can of 325 Rounds *SOLD OUT* 9 hours ago $0.09/rd [$29.99] out of stock SelfDefense [TargetSportsUSA] CCI Mini-Mag 22 Long Rifle Ammo 40 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose *SOLD OUT* 9 hours ago $0.10/rd [$9.99] out of stock   [TargetSportsUSA] Winchester PowerPoint 22LR 42gr 50/Box PP22LRH42U *SOLD OUT* 9 hours ago $0.12/rd [$5.99] out of stock Hunting [Natchez] Norma TAC .22 LR 40 Grain RN Ammo, Box of 50 *SOLD OUT* 5 hours ago
Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1