799.00 Deal or Tinker with Legion V12 offer

Hi guys,

I was interested in the new pricing of the $799. shipped which is pleasing, but have some unanswered Q&A for a somewhat simple v12 project.

Legion's website has a strange folder pictured below.
What is the unfamiliar CIRCLE on this folder area?
Why is it different?

Is the the Legion mod worth the desired Picatinny gas rail, 1913 factory lower handguard and a pinned or possibly shorter barrel?
I think the barrel is shortened and pinned, but I'm uncertain if it can be re-modded to set a Firestorm on the end.
Legion's mod may prevent some future project ideas though.
The only info on their website states: 
  • Muzzle device permantley attached

Plan A is to keep the receiver rear ready for:
- AK to M4 adapter.
- CTR Stock.
- Firestorm brake possibly pinned or fixed.
- A 1913 gas block.
- Lower profile handguard set, or the V12 factory 1913 upgrade (may dremel and stipple).
- basic 922 internals etc.

Option 1:
A Legion website purchaser would wind up getting:
- a possibly shorter barrel.
- gas system 1913 rail.
- a 1913 factory handguard

Option 2:
$799 deal on various websites.

Option 3:
Find a deal on a NIB fixed stock original version rivaling the recent $799 price and tinker.

ANY suggestions or ideas are welcome. 
Thank you.

Sorry about the usage of the pics, but I had to add some visualization.

2moz8m1.png

i71mjn.png

awaio7.png

29zzwd5.jpg

14mvp6p.jpg

the circled thing looks like a blocked / plugged underfolder mount  but I am not an ak guy

ShadyVepr is correct, the receiver has been welded open with a washer.  Simply file off the weld and fold away.  As for the the remaining questions it all comes down to cost and personal preference.  We really can't tell you what to value, that's up to you.  The railed gas block and hand guard can be installed later.  Keep in mind availability with these Russian sanctions looming over our heads. 

Thank you for the quick replies.

Ok, the circular washer style from Legion is around $1100.

http://legionusainc.com/vepr-12-shotgun-en.html

The weld is unknown.

The amount of work may be considered unknown compared to the small tac under the joint on the typical Russian folder style.

As we now see, the new $799 deals generally have the small tac weld on the underside of the joining area of the stock.

I have not seen a video to date of anyone folding one of these, only pics.

The "button" to release the fixed stock is nice, but I just can't find many reviews on the whole folder process.

Lastly, an adjustable CTR is really nice if your somewhat picky w/ lengths.

I definitely am a fan of how high the AK to M4 Rifle Dynamics rides.

The user here with the FDE V12 scheme "started it" for me as for the liking of the AK to M4 adapter.

Does anyone have a video link to the folding button once they popped the weld?

Thank you.

xgcx7n.jpg

mrcl6a.jpg

290ss1v.jpg

28idk.jpg

Edited by GreatLakesMolot

Check out Canis design group, they make a M4 adapter as well that is a one piece.  But of course neither will work on the welded open factory folders.  I just got the firestorm this week from CNCWarrior and it interestingly has 5 fins on each side instead of 3.  I like it better, I think, but have yet to test it out. 

post-45037-0-47041000-1396139360_thumb.jpg

Edited by hdskumm

Don't worry about the welds. Either one is simple to remove. Theyy just look different. The thing you should concern yourself with, if you want to add a AR stock to these, is the cost of the adapter. Your gonna have to cough up $200 for the factory AR folder adapter (the only one that is available to date). You can google Russiansurplus.net to see what I am talking about. If you want to use that canis AR adapter you'll have to track down one of the first imports that had a fixed stock rear trunnion installed.

Edited by sunnybean

Likely just the Rifle Dynamics Ak-to-M4.

The Russian folder is second choice.

For a small package, there are other cool options, even though the small folding V12 size is pretty sweet!

Huh?

Sorry, the second choice is the Russian folder V!2 available at $799, but the first choice is to get a solid old school V12 like the poly or wood and add the AK to M4 posted above.

I do like the small package of a V12 folder, but the time folded is less than the time open and that time is likely to be a Magpul buttstock with the Ak-to-M4 Rifle Dynamics adapter.

If I ever get "another" V12 it will be the Russian folder.

The Legion package just soaked up some interest from the gas 1913 rail, the handguard, and the shorter "looking" barrel.

I have replaced the rifle dynamics adaptor with the Camis one. I like the method of attachment much more. I will be getting rid of the rifle dynamics unit due to that and the fact that I broke a screw off in it and now have to extract it.

Lighter than UBR and a bit nice!

215vmh.png

I had the Bonesteel, but it was too low for me and the unfinished metal rubbed my hand which I could not get over.

They did make a good product.

It was just not my cup of tea.

The Canis product looks finished and clean.

Folding Factory V12 Russian is another easy choice too.

The Rifle dynamics and PWS options are my choice for FIXED.

2n7gp4y.jpg

2ltix61.jpg

28amd83.jpg

juy1aq.jpg

Edited by GreatLakesMolot

Mullet man-are you referring to the vltor? My ar stocks are all milspec and I really like the look and design of the Canis. They make a non folding version as well. The pistol grip nut clamps down on it locking it securely in place with the addition of a tang nut and bolt. I just don't trust the rifle dynamics part but that is one persons opinion. post-27494-0-89947100-1396968645.jpg

post-27494-0-76894200-1396969008.jpg

Edited by lewie212

No sir, I'm talking about this....

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/css-ak-tube.htm

Simple, to the point, no extra lock nuts or adapters. And you don't even have to cut the tang off. There are pics of it in the vepr12 pic thread, showing the butt stock will collapse all the way to the receiver.

Plus it raises the stock to be almost inline with the bore.

Some of those adaptors just look goofy and really clutter up the back end of the gun.

Edited by Mullet Man