Is anybody around here loading 357 magnum? I've loaded up some with Rainier 125gr hp, 12.1 grains of AA #7 and they shoot "OK", so I decided to try some of the Hodgdon H-110, and Holy Mother of Fire Balls. The chrono took a shit (battery), with the H110, Hodgdon calls for 22gr. MAX, and 21 to start, I was gonna go with the 22, and damn am I glad I didn't, I only used 21gr., but the felt recoil and muzzle blast was a hell of a lot bigger. Both loads used WSPM primers, with the #7 I had a COAL of 1.560 and with the H110, 1.575.

The primers aren't cratered, just a TINY shiny spot, and it's small, at the edge of where the firing pin hit, but's what's strange is that the 6 with the #7 where a little bit "snug" coming out of the cylinder, the 6 with the H110 where not as "snug" as the others. All 12 rounds had the same crimp I have put on all my other 357 loads.

I'm just wondering if Hodgdon has their load data whacko, because I actually liked shooting the H110 loads, but I also don't want to destroy my Rhino, and/or my hand.

I've used the H110 in my 454 for rifle loads, it thumps the shoulder and blows big ass holes in trees. :)

H110 and WW296 are like that. Great powders, both of them, but they are LOUD. I use it for heavy 45Colt, 45WinMag rifle, and 30 Carbine in my handgun. Definitely a fireball powder. 4227 is a LOT quieter in 30 carbine, but I like the fireballs.

I used h110 in 300 blackout. I'd only use 19 grains under 125 grain bullet. And 17 under a 155. I've yet to load any 38 or 357 I'm compiling lead now and will order a mold after I have 40 or 50 pounds.

• 1 month later...

It's just the nature of the powder, plenty of power and tons of muzzle flash without going over pressure.

I use H110 for my 357 magnum "fun loads" when I just want to play with my big kids toy.

I use a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel like a little kid uses a pellet gun. A full load of H110 and some jacketed

hollow points had absolutely ruined the day of some tad poles that were just sitting there in that mud puddle

minding their own business...

A little bit. I have mostly been doing 38 +p using the same bullet and data I do for 9mm. 125 cast lead LRN into moderate +P territory with 4.3 grains of Bullseye. Shoots pretty good. Recoil is comparable to the standard 158 grain 38 SPL standard pressure load.

I have some custom HP bullets that I want to start loading but I haven't had the time to develop the load. They should be around 180 grains with the powder coat, but I need to verify that. I'll have to look back at my data, but I have longshot, universal and unique. There was some data for one of the U powders that looked like a good one to start with, but I don't recall it at the moment.

Edited by GunFun