EVERYBODY knows that old school games are the hardest (there isn't any way to "beat" many of them) but I've run across a modern game lately that is just silly...

I've become addicted to the Uncharted franchise on PS3 since they are relatively old an inexpensive.. I've beaten 1, 2, and 3 on "hard" and just started to replay them them in reverse order on "Crushing" difficulty... 3 was a challenge, but wasn't all that b ad... 2 is completely ridiculous... It literally a grind fest of getting everything "perfect" (well... past chapter 20 or so) so that you can continue.. It's literally approaching not being fun... The Devil May Cry franchise comes to mind as well when playing on "Dante Must Die" mode.. Just crazy...

So.. What are your thoughts about the hardest games to beat? (Classic is allowed... I'm just pissed off at modern at the moment)/.

I stopped playing single-player games after discovering the joys of playing against real people online.

I prefer PC WW2 air combat simulations and WW2 tank sims.

Just discovered an excellent tank sim for Apple Devices called "Battle Supremacy". The graphics and gameplay are excellent. I have it on my phone. It was only $5.00.

Used to play World of Tanks on the PC but, they milk your wallet.

I have dmc.  Played it about an hour and set it aside.  The difficulty I could deal with if the story was really interesting but the story didn't justify the grind.

Playing online doesn't interest me.  It doesn't work if you just want to play a couple of hours now and then.

Back in the early to mid 1980's, I got fairly good at a couple of the 25 cent arcade games. "Missile Command" and "Berserk". It was just a release from grad school stress and I actually played better after a large pitcher of beer. Go figure. Pretty tame and primitive stuff compared to today. My fear is that I will be seduced into major high tech computer multiple opponent roll playing gaming. HB of CJ (old coot)

How fast would a gaming computer have to be to be competitive? Is PC speed necessary? How fast would your service need to be? I dunno.

hahah altered beast. I wasted so many quarters on that game in the arcade back in the day, since I never had a genesis.

I was never any good at any of the fighting games like street fighter or mortal kombat. I could only mash buttons, and I only ever managed to memorize the sequence to throw a hadouken. I had one chinese friend that would womp everyone's ass consistently - he had a deluxe nintendo power subscription and memorized ALL of the specials for street fighter II and SF turbo. asshole.

I never bothered playing Simcity 2000 in normal mode. I would always run the "fund+fund" endless money cheat. the game was way more fun when you had an endless stack of cash and could do whatever the fuck you wanted with it. I think a lot of our younger politicians carried that practice forward into their jobs today.

never bothered playing any of the Grand Theft Auto games without cheats on. sorry, some of the missions were downright impossible and I never had time to do endless save/loads.

one of my favorite NES games of all time is double dragon II, but I almost always die at the last level where you have to jump over all of the disappearing platforms.

I don't really play video games that often any more. if I do, I only tend to play BF3 or Team Fortress on the PC, or load up DOSBox to play old DOS games. I also have an original Xbox that I modded, and it has emulators with every single ROM ever released for Genesis/NES/SNES/N64. my wife and I still play it from time to time - especially Mario 3. playing those old games on a huge flatscreen TV is pure awesome. one of my childhood friends visited recently and we played Cabal for NES for HOURS.

I really do miss the games of the 80s and 90s.

Edited by mancat

Many of you guys may know about this, but you can download a game emulator

called "MAME" and play all of the old coin-op games on your computer.

Sometimes it's great to get a Galaga, Joust, or a Donkey Kong fix, or play one of

thousands of other games! ("Missile Command" and "Berserk" too old coot)

The MAME software actually runs the ROMs for the arcade game so you are running

the same actual code. You even have to drop quarters to play by hitting a key.

You can get the ROMs from many places, you don't have to download the giant 42GB

archive as shown in the video. There are lots of other related videos on Youtube.

• Like 2

I play the Call of Duty games through story mode, once each on veteran.

Regularly I play an iPhone MMO called Celtic Heroes. You build a character and the game is free, although it's become a "spend money or fall way behind" scenario.

Legend of Zelda on Phillips CD-I   This was not possible, and the crappy controller didn't help matters.

I was never a fan of the Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat Games because up, up, down, down, left, up, A, down, B, put your left foot in should not be a keystroke combination to throw a punch

• Like 1

No video games played seriously since my family opted for a Wii. I don't like it much and have better things to do with my $$$ than start over on a new system and games.

Cat Mario and Be The Guy Gaiden are a good hard troll games. Contra is a real bitch on 3 lives. Demon Souls and Midnight Club had a few levels that require the player to be perfect to beat the first time. 

Then there are the games with shitty AI charterers that just make the game hard out of stupidity. 

Most people don't like games they can't beat so the industry makes it to where anyone can beat them before they get frustrated and quit. Most people play to have fun not be challenged to the point of frustration.

Back when: The original Prince of Persia, Dragon Wars, and Thunderchopper were hard.

The cake went to Wings of Fury, a side view WWII fighter game where you flew a Hellcat.

There was no beating it. You just got more missions on Captain level. I found a code goof where,

if you crashed your last plane on the deck of a boat as it sank and you got the you sank a ship

message, you got infinite lives.....still didn't help.

Doom 3 on nasty mode was rough. Portal 1 and 2 takes some serious thought, but I really like them.

The hardest game for me is controlling my ten man raid group in WoW. People just suck these days.

Wow.. This thread grew legs FAST... I can't multi-quote more than 3 posts, so I'm gonna free style it... VERY long post ahead (just look for your name).. I don't have comments for everyone because I haven't played literally every game out there... ;)

--------

Darth:

The DMC plot is a bit weak and even "hard" difficulty isn't that bad... But Dante Must Die mode is insane (I don't believe you get access to that mode until you've beatent he game). I enjoyed upgrading my skills and weapons and such so I didn't mind the grind of it. I also used to play real D&D back in the day so... grinding is just the way it goes! :)

I enjoy online play in games that have encouraging co-op modes. I've played TONS (like thousands of hours) of Red Dead Redemption online. LOTS of that time were spent playing Poker and in co-op missions. There are many difficulty options in the online play of RDR so even a novice can jump in  and have fun. Since I'm unemployed I'll play RDR with anyone anytime on PS3 no matter their experience level. ;) Mostly I do enjoy single player more for most games.

---------

HB:

Missile Command IS very hard and VERY fun... I still play it from time to time! GREAT game.

Personally, I gave up on PC gaming about 15 years ago... I got tired of buying $300 video cards and updating drivers and such constantly. I've found console gaming to be very fullfilling and affordable in this day and age. I own a PS3 and Xbox 360 and you could buy both new tomorrow at wally world for about $500 total. Since they're both old system, GREAT games are like $5-$10/ea used (if you want to play online, make sure your used game doesn't require an online activation code that has already been used.. EA is notorious for that shit). With that said, I also use my PS3 for streaming (Amazon Prime/Netflix... and music from my PC) and blurays nearly constantly. My parents have a PS3 and it has never seen a game in its life. They just use it as a media center and LOVE it. Good investment.

You really don't need a lot of connection "speed" to online game, you mostly just need a low ping (quick response... not necessarily bandwidth) and a steady connection.  That's more a product of your ISP than a product of whatever bandwidth package you purchase.

---------

K.o.t.H.

Altered Beast is a hard MF.. I remember playing it in the arcade and giving up almost immediately... ET is widely known as the WORST Atari game of all time. Also, like most Atari games, there is no "beating it"... It just gets harder forever.

--------

mancat:

I was never any good with fighting games EXCEPT one title... Tekken 3 on PS1... For some reason I just got into it (I had a group of maybe 6-8 friends that would all hang out and play each other) and got VERY good. I went to a birthday party for a coworker back in the late 90s (40-50 early 20s people at the time) and regulated the room on Tekken 3 for a good portion of the evening.. FUN! :)

I also LOVE the GTA francise and have beaten them all many times (well... not 1&2... I found them fairly boring). I've beaten 3/Vice City/San Andreas/Liberty City stories at least 12 times/ea. Whenever I come down with a nasty cold that keeps me from work for a few days I usually grab the tissues, OJ, and marathon beat 1-2 GTA games. NO CHEATS, ever... They're really not that hard once you figure them out... I've beaten GTA4 3x (I don't even like 4 that much) and 5 once (broke my damn disc... looking forward to playing it more). I'm confident that I could beat Vice City (my 2nd favorite) in a single sitting if I REALLY wanted to. San Andreas is my #1, but there is SO much to do in that game that I don't think I could stay awake that long.

Double Dragon is great! Speaking of impossibly hard NES games... 1943 (my favorite NES game of all time) gets insanely hard... One day (it took like 18 hours) I actually got to what I thought was the end of the game... Then the game told me the "real" Japanese fleet was somewhere else... At that point I was so pissed that I just shut the system off and walked away (this was in like 2005 btw...).  Don't even attempt to play that game without a NES Advantage joystick.

I have a Dreamcast with emulators that I rarely use for NES and Genesis games... I prefer to play on the actual consoles and have a fair collection (10 or so) to choose from. I've actually got my NES out right now to play a new Ebay purchase, Bayou Billy (just need to finish cleaning the cart properly before putting it in my restored NES)! I have a 57" HDTV so I know where you're coming from. Mario is about 10" tall.

No reason to miss those classics... Get your game on! They didn't evaporate off of the earth when the PS1 was launched! :)

--------

Mullet:

Portal is a REALLY fun game (especially if you want all of the achievements like fewest steps and such) but I didn't find it overly difficult... I beat it at my buddy's house one night in like 2 hours. I'd like to get it, and the sequels, myself.

---------

Yeoldetool:

No reason to start over on "new" games and consoles for big money.. Grab yourself a Genesis or NES at a garage sale and let the good times roll. When I was a kid and bought my NES (I literally bought it...earned the money myself) we would have family Tetris tournaments and kept our high scores on the fridge. My Dad was playing Tetris in my bedroom until like 2am one school night (on the TV I also bought with my own money that I worked for) with led to him getting a Gameboy for Christmas... He played Tetris and Boxxle on that thing until he couldn't see anymore. FUN games for the entire family that are DIRT cheap. My fiance HATES video games and we even fired the NES up a couple of weeks ago for some Tetris fun.. She was beating ass.

----------

Gun Fanatic:

Contra is nearly impossible without cheating... That's a bucket list game for me to beat but every time I try I only make it like 3 levels and get so pissed off that I quit....

----------

Great responses guys! Some of the games that I haven't heard of I'm going to check out!

You beat all 30ish stages of portal in 2hrs, the first time you played it? You sure it wasn't a demo of the game? That's moving pretty good. I found (find) it challenging.

Half Life was another good one.

Lemmings was fun and General Chaos was a blast to play. Then a super simple game like the original Tanks, was a great time killer.

• Like 1

Yep, loved Half-Life & Half Life-2 Mullet Man.

I really enjoyed Far Cry and Crysis on the PC too.

(Oh yeah.... Wolfenstein, Doom, Wolf-3D, Quake, UNReal, Turok, and all of those early shooters too)

Like you, I also remember Lemmings and that old blocky Tank game.

We used to play some of those silly old games for hours on end.

Remember "Circus Atari"?   Just a little guy popping balloons, but my brothers and I thought it was funny and loved it.

As far as game difficulty, I never use cheats and I only read up on how to solve a problem after hours of trying on my own.

Not much of a game if you cheat your way through it.

One thing I hate about some games is that I like to play methodically most of the time and not go charging into hoards of enemies..... many times you have to do just that or the bad guys keep spawning forever and you run out of ammo. You have to charge past the trigger point that stops the spawning. Then it's just dead quiet in that area.... always pissed me off when they did that (like in HALO).

Our family was always into video games. I worked in the coin-op field for a while servicing arcade video games, pinball, shuffle bowling, poker machines, etc. and my older brother worked for both Atari and Sony in management related to their consoles. I got to see a lot of pre-release stuff back then.

That said.... it's been years since I've done any gaming. Although I did have the itch to log into Steam the other day to see what's new.

I think it's time to pick up a game again, it's been too long.

Edited by Spartacus

mancat:

I was never any good with fighting games EXCEPT one title... Tekken 3 on PS1... For some reason I just got into it (I had a group of maybe 6-8 friends that would all hang out and play each other) and got VERY good. I went to a birthday party for a coworker back in the late 90s (40-50 early 20s people at the time) and regulated the room on Tekken 3 for a good portion of the evening.. FUN! smile.png

I also LOVE the GTA francise and have beaten them all many times (well... not 1&2... I found them fairly boring). I've beaten 3/Vice City/San Andreas/Liberty City stories at least 12 times/ea. Whenever I come down with a nasty cold that keeps me from work for a few days I usually grab the tissues, OJ, and marathon beat 1-2 GTA games. NO CHEATS, ever... They're really not that hard once you figure them out... I've beaten GTA4 3x (I don't even like 4 that much) and 5 once (broke my damn disc... looking forward to playing it more). I'm confident that I could beat Vice City (my 2nd favorite) in a single sitting if I REALLY wanted to. San Andreas is my #1, but there is SO much to do in that game that I don't think I could stay awake that long.

Double Dragon is great! Speaking of impossibly hard NES games... 1943 (my favorite NES game of all time) gets insanely hard... One day (it took like 18 hours) I actually got to what I thought was the end of the game... Then the game told me the "real" Japanese fleet was somewhere else... At that point I was so pissed that I just shut the system off and walked away (this was in like 2005 btw...).  Don't even attempt to play that game without a NES Advantage joystick.

I have a Dreamcast with emulators that I rarely use for NES and Genesis games... I prefer to play on the actual consoles and have a fair collection (10 or so) to choose from. I've actually got my NES out right now to play a new Ebay purchase, Bayou Billy (just need to finish cleaning the cart properly before putting it in my restored NES)! I have a 57" HDTV so I know where you're coming from. Mario is about 10" tall.

No reason to miss those classics... Get your game on! They didn't evaporate off of the earth when the PS1 was launched! smile.png

I sold my NES and all my games sometime around '95 at a garage sale, so I could earn money to upgrade the RAM on my 486 PC... to 16MB haha.gif but hey, it played Duke Nukem 3D and Rise of the Triad awesome after that.

I'm pretty sure I sold the NES for $20 or less too, with probably 15 games. One of my friends still has his original NES that we played thousands of hours on, I'm sure. it's still covered in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and X-Men stickers

I'll say that my parents did one thing right about the NES. It was locked up in my dad's gun cabinet and I couldn't play it on weekdays. It only came out on weekends after I finished all my homework.

as far as Double Dragon goes, up until a few years back I still had a VHS tape that I recorded, where I made it to the last level of DD2 and got smacked down by the last boss right as I was about to take him out... then I loaded up Paperboy and played it for about 15 minutes before giving up. that's another pain in the ass game right there.

my "problem" with the GTA games is that I have more fun just fucking around in the game than completing the missions. my friends and I wasted many weekends in high school playing that game. I was the only one who could figure out how to reliably fly the "Dodo" plane.

Yep, loved Half-Life & Half Life-2 Mullet Man.

I really enjoyed Far Cry and Crysis on the PC too.

Like you, I also remember Lemmings and that old blocky Tank game.

We used to play some of those silly old games for hours on end.

I still play HL1 Team Fortress Classic online some times. I originally got interested in AKs from playing Counter Strike smile.png

I remember how awesome HL1 was when I got my first 3D video card around the time it came out. I had an AMD K6-2 and a Voodoo2 like just about everyone else at that time. Lots of HL1, Quake2, etc.

I don't know if you mean the old Atari tanks game, or the newer ones (DOS age) like Scorched Earth. If you played Scorched Earth, you should check out Scorched3D. it's free for download and just as fun as the original, good game to waste a few minutes on every now and then.

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES (Not the 4 player arcade one) or PO'ed for the 3DO always were hard as hell

that one was hard as hell. I never really enjoyed it. I would always get run over when moving around the streets. the 4-player arcade one was awesome though.

Edited by mancat

You beat all 30ish stages of portal in 2hrs, the first time you played it? You sure it wasn't a demo of the game? That's moving pretty good. I found (find) it challenging.

Half Life was another good one.

Lemmings was fun and General Chaos was a blast to play. Then a super simple game like the original Tanks, was a great time killer.

Maybe it was 3 hours? I know I got there in the late afternoon and had it done in time to watch 2 or 3 movies before 3am or so. My buddy was there to help "guide" me through (no spoilers, just a hint or two) when I needed it. I should get a copy myself and see how fast I can get through it "the first time" 10 years later. ;)

Lemmings WAS fun... I beat the original then sort of lost track of the franchise.

As far as game difficulty, I never use cheats and I only read up on how to solve a problem after hours of trying on my own.

Not much of a game if you cheat your way through it.

One thing I hate about some games is that I like to play methodically most of the time and not go charging into hoards of enemies..... many times you have to do just that or the bad guys keep spawning forever and you run out of ammo. You have to charge past the trigger point that stops the spawning. Then it's just dead quiet in that area.... always pissed me off when they did that (like in HALO).

Our family was always into video games. I worked in the coin-op field for a while servicing arcade video games, pinball, shuffle bowling, poker machines, etc. and my older brother worked for both Atari and Sony in management related to their consoles. I got to see a lot of pre-release stuff back then.

That said.... it's been years since I've done any gaming. Although I did have the itch to log into Steam the other day to see what's new.

I think it's time to pick up a game again, it's been too long.

I agree... I could cheat at cards or anything else too.. What point would that prove? I game because I enjoy the challenge (same reason I do many other things, like own a weirdo Russian AK shotgun) and wouldn't have it any other way.

That methodical stuff is what is killing me about Uncharted 2 at the moment... Normally you can play the gamea like Syphon Filter or Metal Gear Solid, but on Crushing mode you have to hard charge or get fucked... It's a very weird dynamic to get used to after trying to take it easy for hundreds of hours of game play.

I sold my NES and all my games sometime around '95 at a garage sale, so I could earn money to upgrade the RAM on my 486 PC... to 16MB haha.gif but hey, it played Duke

I'm pretty sure I sold the NES for $20 or less too, with probably 15 games. One of my friends still has his original NES that we played thousands of hours on, I'm sure. it's still covered in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and X-Men stickers

I'll say that my parents did one thing right about the NES. It was locked up in my dad's gun cabinet and I couldn't play it on weekdays. It only came out on weekends after I finished all my homework.

my "problem" with the GTA games is that I have more fun just fucking around in the game than completing the missions. my friends and I wasted many weekends in high school playing that game. I was the only one who could figure out how to reliably fly the "Dodo" plane

[i can't get the quote feature to do what I want, so see my comments in bold]: Go buy another NES immediately! I'm still rocking my original Powerpad model (paid $150 for it as a 10 year old... it ain't going nowhere) and it was very simple to install a new 72 pin connector, clean all of my games properly (I also battery deleted them all for fear of them leaking), and be rocking old school again. If you buy a NES and the parts I'll install the connector in it for free (you pay all shipping) so you can kick it old school again.

After many thousands of hours of playing GTA I grew past just fucking around (though that is the best part.. it was the original "sandbox" game series) and got into the plots... I really enjoy San Andreas since I was big into hip-hop in the early 90s and recognize the relation to the plot of that game... San Andreas also gives you PLENTY of opportunities for outright mayhem (you have to recover gang turf all over town... Like 50 territories) so it's not boring to just fuck shit up... You also get a, Harrier, Asteroids arcade game, and a fucking jetpack along the way!

My NES was MINE... My parents tried to prove a point by making me buy it myself, but it made being grounded very difficult on them... I got my copy of Dragon Warrior from Nintendo Power in the middle of a 1 week grounding period... I cut a deal with my mom to hack down some insanely overgrown bushes to be able to get off of being grounded so I could play it (Dad wasn't happy about that!). My sister and I had a lot of fun with that game... She was my navigator for that and the original Legend of Zelda. I'd play and she'd sit on my bed and give me directions.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES (Not the 4 player arcade one) or PO'ed for the 3DO always were hard as hell

that one was hard as hell. I never really enjoyed it. I would always get run over when moving around the streets. the 4-player arcade one was awesome though.

TMNT is an insanely hard game... I borrowed it from a friend in middle school and made it about 1/2 way through in a couple of weeks. It was still a VERY fun game. I need to look to ebay for that one...

Here is a compilation of all the record-holding DOOM runs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdNnaUglHT4

Some seriously skilled players there.

UV-MAX is a COMPET-N speedrunning category. In UV-MAX, the player must kill all the demons at least once and find all the secrets as fast has he can and must be playing on the Ultra-Violence difficulty level.

<----Remember this guy?  You NEVER beat this guy.

The only game I play is Minecraft, which isn't really beatable insofar as it has no narrative.  I have built some pretty cool structures in survival mode, though.

th_2014-02-23_084245_zps2b1733c7.png

The 1:1 model of the Pantheon gave me persistent wrist pain for a couple weeks.

I felt sad when I said something about "skifree" and my wife said "what's that?" I thought all youngsters of the 90s knew about skifree :(

Speaking of skifree.. I remember stealing the Windows Entertainment Pack games and a bunch of screensavers from the school PCs - it all fit on a floppy in a single ZIP file.

Wow - bringing back some memories!  Am I the only one who can still hear the music and sound effects?  +1 for Circus Atari for Atari 2600!!  I would always crack up when the guy missed the catapult and made that sound splatting on the ground (wouldn't be the same today without the paddle controller though). 

The one game I never completed that my teenage self really tried at was Silver Surfer for NES.  It was my kryptonite for some reason. 

Other games like Contra, Double Dragons, Legendary Wings, Bad Dudes, for NES were always played with my good friend on co-op so the frustration was shared. 

I was I was pretty proud I could beat Mike Tyson's Punch Out for NES, beating most fighters in the first round.  Pitfall 1 and 2, and Raiders of the Lost Ark for Atari 2600 were also high on my pre-teen gaming resume.  Demon Attack for Atari 2600 was another good one.  Oh, and I appear to be one of few who enjoyed and was able to crush E.T. for the Atari 2600!  Then there's Decathalon for the Atari 2600 that would leave blisters in the palms of my hands. 

Cool Spot and Earthworm Jim for Sega Genesis also had personality.  Sewer Rat for Sega CD\32X was ground breaking at the time. 

I missed much of the PS1 since I was in a military college, but played the Halos, Gears, and Dead Spaces for xBoxes\PSsTitanfall for XBox One is the newest game I am playing. 

At my first job a bunch of us were masters at DOOM on the PC! (and Myst)

+1 for a MAME machine.  I built one several years ago (I can try to post some pics if anyone is interested).  Today there is a guy online who sells a USB hard drive from with all of the emulators and games already installed for most all arcade games, Ataris, Nintendos, Segas, 3DO, TurboGrafix, to name a few (we are talking 100s of thousands of games - remember Dragon's Lair?).  Even those "adult" Atari 2600 titles are on there which are tame compared to even some of our avatars.  You just plug it up, create shortcuts, and off you go.  I HIGHLY recommend buying USB adapters for the original controllers because keyboards don't cut it nostalgia-wise and today's USB controllers will not have the same feel.  

Anyway, got carried away there.  I still enjoy a good story and emersive game today (not that I can play like I used to) but there is something to get said for the simplicity and cleverness of the games of my youth. 

Edited by some idiot
  • Like 1

hahah altered beast. I wasted so many quarters on that game in the arcade back in the day, since I never had a genesis.

I was never any good at any of the fighting games like street fighter or mortal kombat. I could only mash buttons, and I only ever managed to memorize the sequence to throw a hadouken. I had one chinese friend that would womp everyone's ass consistently - he had a deluxe nintendo power subscription and memorized ALL of the specials for street fighter II and SF turbo. asshole.

I never bothered playing Simcity 2000 in normal mode. I would always run the "fund+fund" endless money cheat. the game was way more fun when you had an endless stack of cash and could do whatever the fuck you wanted with it. I think a lot of our younger politicians carried that practice forward into their jobs today.

never bothered playing any of the Grand Theft Auto games without cheats on. sorry, some of the missions were downright impossible and I never had time to do endless save/loads.

one of my favorite NES games of all time is double dragon II, but I almost always die at the last level where you have to jump over all of the disappearing platforms.

I don't really play video games that often any more. if I do, I only tend to play BF3 or Team Fortress on the PC, or load up DOSBox to play old DOS games. I also have an original Xbox that I modded, and it has emulators with every single ROM ever released for Genesis/NES/SNES/N64. my wife and I still play it from time to time - especially Mario 3. playing those old games on a huge flatscreen TV is pure awesome. one of my childhood friends visited recently and we played Cabal for NES for HOURS.

I really do miss the games of the 80s and 90s.

I used to have haduoken wars with Ken and Ryu. haha.gif