MKA Bolt improvements

I have a suggestion on an improvement to the MKA bolt I'd like to throw out to forum members for discussion....

I tried to dig up a pic of an MKA bolt in the interweb but was unsuccessful and I'm to busy/lazy to take my MKA apart...so maybe someone has one laying around and can post a pic of one (preferably the bolt face and some side profile).

I'm wondering about a possible improement to the little piece of metal (not sure what it is called) that is just below the bolt face that picks up the next round from the magazine.  As the bolt blows back under recoil, this piece of metal rides over the top of the next round.  The problem as I see it, is that causes tension on the bolt...potentially slowing it down.  This tension is increased with the more rounds there are in a magazine (due to increased spring pressure).  To overcome this tension on the bolt, the gas system has run with have enough gas to dependably cycle on the 1st round in the magazine, and would need less gas to cycle the last round (I'm not sure what the difference between the two would be, but push on a 15 round mag sometime with 1 round and 15 rounds and note the tension difference).  This means that we have to run the gas system with significantly? more gas than we'd like to, at least for half the magazine. This increases recoil, increases wear and tear, and may have an effect on dependability?

Would it make sense to have a bolt where the little piece of metal retracted into the bolt on it's way back, but locked into place as the bolt moved forward so it could pick up the next round in the magazine?

This might facilitate the abiltiy to tune the gas system to use less gas and possibily using a lightened bolt and carrier (similar to a JP Low Mass Carrier or others), which might improve recoil? 

Hope I explained this clearly...probably not!  I may need to post a video so I can explain what in the heck I'm talking about.

Jim, thanks for responding.  I know you are super busy. 

Does that little protrusion have a name?  It appears that thing has two purposes 1) As the bolt is moving rearwards, tip the next round in the mag up so that it comes out of the mag tilted up towards the chamber 2) As the bolt moves forward, push the next round out of the mag.  Is this correct? 

I am really excited for the A1.  Kudos to you guys for taking it on.

• 2 months later...