Sign in to follow this  
scattergun10

74 Brake Question- Zig-Zag vs.Half-Moon Design

From what I've read there's no discernible difference between half-moon and zigzag, at least in semi.

pretty sure that the half-moon design is simply easier to manufacture.

Just keep in mind that the earlier zig-zag brakes are short collar designs, and may not fit correctly on a long-collar FSB from a newer 100-series rifle. This is probably only a problem for you if putting it on an SGL-31, since most 24mm FSBs available are going to be the short-collar design.

The short-collar FSB can accept either type of brake.

To bad there is no comments about how well the different brakes function ?

I don't think the end user will notice a difference between the two.

I never knew they were that in depth. The zig zag looks like the way to go. Just for cool factor.

Seems to me the zig zag  slots are a cost intensive process and is used to direct gases to the side of the brake cut outs to reduce side flash. I have noticed at indoor ranges flash coming out the older style brakes sides. I've yet to shoot with my ZZ brake.

Seems to me the zig zag  slots are a cost intensive process and is used to direct gases to the side of the brake cut outs to reduce side flash. I have noticed at indoor ranges flash coming out the older style brakes sides. I've yet to shoot with my ZZ brake.

The flash hiding characteristics of the '74 brake can sometimes seem to leave something to be desired. The photo in my avatar was from shooting M193 through the zig-zag brake.

I ended up buying a CNC Warrior A2 FH for the 5.56 AKs so that I can shoot the hot-loaded stuff without a huge amount of flash, or side blast into other stalls on the range.

Edited by mancat

Just recently been to the indoor range and shot with the ZZ. It's a flame thrower in dim light conditions. So I ordered a few flash hiders and will report on that.