Another hog hunt success with 308

Living in Central IL, I don't get to hunt hogs unless I travel somewhere, which is what some friends and I did last week.  We drove down to east central Texas for a free range hog hunt.  I was the only one lucky enough to have success on this trip and the 308 brought another hog down (did anyone have any doubts?-probably not to the guns ability but maybe to mine?)

20140328_011328_zpszrfafcb3.jpg

the sow didn't come into the feeder until just past midnight.  I had been hearing their chatter for over an hour and had one sneak up behind the pop up blind I was in and wind me.  Luckily, they didn't vacate the arear completely and about 30 minutes later a sounder came in. 

Threw on the green light, to which they scattered like roaches, then had this sow come strolling back in for a midnight snack.  308 Fusion, 150 gr behind the ear was instant lights out.

Don't see many hunting stories on here so thought I would throw a short one out.

This was a regular hunt, meaning we aquired non-resident hunting license prior to going out, so we were allowed to keep whatever.

Now, my understanding of a depredation hunt, for which no license is required, is that you aren't allowed to keep anything.

This sow got skinned and quartered and is currently in my freezer, minus the meat that went straight to the grill :)

20140328_011411_zpsaqudt1pm.jpg

shot of the stand location in the light

20140327_185846_zpsvsdeocdc.jpg

hauled in on my little bear tracker

20140328_012559_zps2u4i0p65.jpg

like our freezer? LOL

20140328_012612_zpsujciptpp.jpg

just before the skinning commenced

20140328_020532_zps9uwhksl2.jpg

• Like 1

TRL WGN 1,

What part of central Illinois? I'm in lower LaSalle county. Where did you go in Texas, and was it free? I'm curious about the details. I've been wanting to go Hog hunting with my Saiga 308, but can't afford the cost of a domestic safari.

El Cabron,

I am just north west of Springfield, up in Menard County.  Place was not free, but was free range.  The owner of the property puts out corn and has box blinds and stands set up.  Wasn't expensive either, but the accomodations were as far from extravogant as you could get :)