http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=BLOOM&date=20140401&id=17486923

Okay

The church is asking Wal-Mart in its proposed proxy statement to reconsider sales of items that may be dangerous to the public, may hurt the company’s reputation or offend family values -- including weapons with clips holding more than 10 rounds that are “well suited to mass killing,” and music “that depicts violence or sex,” according to court papers.

“To be clear, this is not an anti-gun proposal,” Trinity Rector James Herbert Cooper said today in a letter to parishioners. “We are simply asking that shareholders be allowed to consider whether the board has an obligation” to maintain reasonable societal standards.

What the F@#k are reasonable societal standards? Does that mean I can tell you to go F@#k yourself? Or does that mean your trying to F@#k the good people of this nation?

• Like 4

Many Christians buy guns & ammo (and music for that matter) at Walmart and don't have a problem with it.

Christians need guns for self-defense and yikes some of them even have an interest in music & sex too!

I'm a Christian and this knucklehead certainly doesn't speak for me.

It's gun control and censorship from the pulpit, arguably very political issues.

Gee, it would be a real shame if this church lost it's tax exempt status for preaching politics.

• Like 6

Here is an idea....If you dont like what goes on at company XYZ. Dont buy shares in company XYZ...Its called a FREE market system! My favorite quote "Trinity owns at least $2,000 worth of Wal-Mart shares, according to court papers." I hope they get charged at least 40k in atty fees..but I'm sure the lead atty is probably a member of the distinguished congregation and all hours charged to the case are structured to be a tax deductible donation.

• Like 4

You also have to consider the location...Wall Street, New York. I imagine they do not have many gun owning conservatives or liberitarians in the congregation. Churches should stick with spreading the Gospel, and focusing on meeting the needs of people in their surrounding communities. They would be much more effective and relevent that way.

• Like 2

And since when do preachers/ministers dabble in the stock market with church funds?

Isn't that gambling?

I think that would be a problem in many churches.

You guys don't really expect the IRS to move against a liberal church preaching gun control that parallels the Administration's goals do you?   Nah, I didn't think so!

+1

• Like 1

Those high-capacity magazines reduce opportunities for victims in a mass shooting to flee or overwhelm a shooter while reloading, according to the church’s proposal cited in the complaint. Magazines holding 10 or more rounds have “enabled” mass killings including those in Newtown, Connecticut, and Columbine, Colorado, according to the proposal.

Completely ignoring the fact that those same weapons and "standard capacity" magazines enabled the people of New Orleans, South-Central LA and others to protect their lives and property during mass-riot situations! Not to mention our First Responders and Soldiers who depend on them!

• Like 3

Here is an idea....If you dont like what goes on at company XYZ. Dont buy shares in company XYZ...Its called a FREE market system! My favorite quote "Trinity owns at least $2,000 worth of Wal-Mart shares, according to court papers." I hope they get charged at least 40k in atty fees..but I'm sure the lead atty is probably a member of the distinguished congregation and all hours charged to the case are structured to be a tax deductible donation.

So Trinity owns $2000 in Walmart shares. At the latest quote of $77 share, that is a measly 26 shares of a multi- billion dollar corporation. My guess is they bought a few shares just to be able to claim they were share holders to try to lend the appearance of credibility to their silly little lawsuit. It's not working.

• Like 4

Many Christians buy guns & ammo (and music for that matter) at Walmart and don't have a problem with it.

Christians need guns for self-defense and yikes some of them even have an interest in music & sex too!

I'm not a Christan and actually DO have a problem with buying music there... You'll only get censored versions...

In a slight bit of irony (at least I think) I just watched an episode of Undercover Boss that featured a Church with a SUBWAY in it.

It's cool if you walk with Christ, but I will never understand a lot of this stuff.

• Like 1

>>I'm not a Christan and actually DO have a problem with buying music there... You'll only get censored versions...

Walmart only sells censored music?

Was not aware of that, if that's true. That was my point though.... I'm not for censorship in music or other works of art.

Especially not under pressure from some left wing commie preacher.

As to the church with the Subway in it....

I don't really like the idea of those mega-churches with all of the Starbucks, Subway, etc. commercialization.

It's not much of a church anymore if they turn it into a strip mall.

• Like 1

>>I'm not a Christan and actually DO have a problem with buying music there... You'll only get censored versions...

Walmart only sells censored music?

Was not aware of that, if that's true. That was my point though.... I'm not for censorship in music or other works of art.

Especially not under pressure from some left wing commie preacher.

As to the church with the Subway in it....

I don't really like the idea of those mega-churches with all of the Starbucks, Subway, etc. commercialization.

It's not much of a church anymore if they turn it into a strip mall.

Well.. I don't know that they ONLY sell censored music, buy you're welcome to buy my Walmart censored Kid Rock "Cocky" disc from me and I didn't notice any over 18 selections on the shelves... That was the last CD I bought at Wallmart and the title should give you an idea of how long ago that was... At the same time I can buy R movies and 17+ video games there until I die, but if someone says "shit" in a song it's too much for them. Maybe it's because movies and video games cost more? hummm?

What I am sure about is that Walmart cuts exclusive deals with artists to only sell their "special" releases, generally near a holiday, that I ALWAYS have to buy for SOMEONE (Garth Brooks comes to mind). Then I get to watch the Garth Brooks Live From Las Vegas DVD (which is entertaining... I like Garth, but hate what he did to country music) where he cusses up a storm.

Hilariously the church with a Subway in it was NOT a mega church.... It was a fairly small black congreation (which I generally laugh at anyhow... I don't think Jesus cares if you have a "moment" on the carpet and clap a lot) and did it JUST for the money (they actually took up a "Subway collection" to raise the $15k franchise fee)... Which I think is even worse than the mega churches...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y1MHpTiz0kI#t=1441

I guess they never read Luke 22:36...

Pretend that you're talking to heathens that are too lazy to go pick up our dusty bibles...

...actually, don't pretend... that's me I'm talking about.

Luke 22:36

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

Edited by Ethan

It took me 5 minutes to decide that this is not a real church that believes in the bible.

"Here at Trinity, we are pleased to support the decision to change the

practice of our diocese regarding the marriage of gay and lesbian

couples. As of September 1, 2012, clergy may officiate and sign

marriage licenses at the full civil and sacramental marriages of same

sex couples."

• Like 2

I have had numerous people tell me that Jesus does not approve of self defense because he stopped peter in Matthew 26:52. But that was not why he stopped him and I always quote Luke 22:36 to them. It makes for a very good debate. Lol

Pretend that you're talking to heathens that are too lazy to go pick up our dusty bibles...

...actually, don't pretend... that's me I'm talking about.

Luke 22:36

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

Ok... I may have to dust off the old NIV so I can actually understand that in modern English.

Walmart chruch:

attachicon.gifJoyful Walmart.jpg

Hey hey hey... I worked for a Japanese company that made us do "activities" like that before the start of every meeting and I didn't consider it a Church.

It was also the only company I've ever worked for that the CEO came around to EVERY employee EVERY Monday morning and individually said "Hello" to them. Pretty cool!

• Like 1

You also have to consider the location...Wall Street, New York. I imagine they do not have many gun owning conservatives or liberitarians in the congregation. Churches should stick with spreading the Gospel, and focusing on meeting the needs of people in their surrounding communities. They would be much more effective and relevent that way.

that's what the church is supposed to do..spread the gospel, not to spread opinions. Same here Spartacus, I am a Christian, but this person doesn't speak for me nor any others that I know!! Edited by unclejake
  • Like 3

Ok... I read a Bible for the first time in 20 years (my NIV) and I still don't get it completely (it was the exact same language) after reading the passages before and after. Maybe I need to get my student Bible out that I got as a confirmation gift when I was 14...

I think for most of our struggles Luke 22:33 is more accurate...

"But he replied, " Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death."

Ok... I read a Bible for the first time in 20 years (my NIV) and I still don't get it completely (it was the exact same language) after reading the passages before and after. Maybe I need to get my student Bible out that I got as a confirmation gift when I was 14...

The NIV is worded the same? I have one somewhere (read king James most of the time lol)

Edit: yep they are pretty similar.

"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one"

Edited by Ethan

The NIV is worded the same? I have one somewhere (read king James most of the time lol)

Edit: yep they are pretty similar.

"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one"

I take that to mean that it's important enough to have a sword that you should sell the coat off your back to buy one if you need to.

In modern terms I think it would mean, "If you don't have a gun, sell your iPad on Ebay and buy one".

And as to Matthew 26:52

New International Version

"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

I take that to mean that you shouldn't be using lethal force for every transgression committed against you, or to attack first.

You need to choose your battles wisely and not be ready to kill for any little reason.

IMHO, people who quote this to mean you should not defend yourself (even with lethal force when necessary) are missing the point.

Here is the context of that quote:

Jesus Arrested

47While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived. With him was a large crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests and the elders of the people. 48Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: “The one I kiss is the man; arrest him.” 49Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” and kissed him.

50Jesus replied, “Do what you came for, friend.”d

Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. 51With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.

52“Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 53Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?”

55In that hour Jesus said to the crowd, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching, and you did not arrest me. 56But this has all taken place that the writings of the prophets might be fulfilled.” Then all the disciples deserted him and fled.

http://biblehub.com/niv/matthew/26.htm

• Like 2