Thinking about modifing my shitter. Probably a stupid question, but can I install a seat and lid from different brands on the same shitter? I am dead positive that I want to run a black Lustra open front elogated seat. Can I combine it with any white elgonated lid or do they have to be of the same make/model?

• Like 1

I am in the correct forum, right? My apologies if I posted I the wrong forum, this is the general discussion forum, right? Mods please move this if it isn't.

Does my toilet rig seem feasible? I fell in love with the black split/open front toilet seat over 20 years ago and have decided I can't go another day without incorporating it into my home defication system.

I'd love to some feedbaxk from anyone else who is running a similar setup.

Thinking about modifing my shitter. Probably a stupid question, but can I install a seat and lid from different brands on the same shitter?

fuck going with a seat, just go around town and find some bricks, pile it up  on either side of the toilet, and just squat to shit. no need to spend money, that's what we're here for, to help you find a different and cheaper solution to your toilet seat "problem".   your welcome 

zenbowmansquat.jpg

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 7

Thinking about modifing my shitter. Probably a stupid question, but can I install a seat and lid from different brands on the same shitter? I am dead positive that I want to run a black Lustra open front elogated seat. Can I combine it with any white elgonated lid or do they have to be of the same make/model?

PIMP MY SHITTER! I LOVE IT! I want a couple of those Kohler monsters that will flush basketballs... As man that enjoys a good shit, and can lay a nice one down, I look forward to the upgrade.

Just take your tape measure to make sure things line up, be preapred to drill some holes and fill some holes, and you should be all set. Getting the identical model from the same manufacturer in different colors is probably the easiet road.

I am in the correct forum, right? My apologies if I posted I the wrong forum, this is the general discussion forum, right? Mods please move this if it isn't.

Cheesey, this may be the best thread General Discussion has ever seen. This is absolutely the right place according to ME. :)

I just want more water in the bowl, fuken newfangled shitters don't have enough water to cover a decent size load -O- shit shocked.gif

In the bowl or in the tank?

I have metering values on my bowl fills to get the level just the way I want it.

Bought this kit...

http://www.amazon.com/Fluidmaster-400LS-Leak-Sentry-Valve/dp/B000BQUHUQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

(For SOME REASON Amazon removed the pictures of my potty [it was clean and everything.. WTF!] that I included with my review)

that includes a bowl fill throttle.

Here's my Amazon review.

"I installed one of these in my upstairs bathroom about 3 years ago and it wasn't traumatic at all. Yes, the directions were terrible, but this is such a simple device that I didn't really need them. You put it in the hole in the tank, adjust the float level, fiddle with the length of the chain for a bit, adjust the bowl fill "throttle", and put the lid back on.

I had mine up and running correctly after about 20 minutes of fiddling with the chain length. In the 3 years since I've installed it mine has failed to fill the bowl maybe 5 times? As long I push the handle completely (no limp wristed flushing) it's not a problem.

I'm on a well and my entire house runs on softened water. So, if a flapper valve starts leaking and I don't know it (like my downstairs toilet has started to do) my softener starts eating salt like crazy. I am intentionally seeking out this valve to upgrade the downstairs toilet while I'm doing the flapper just so the sudden salt drain (way more money than the toilet parts) can't happen again. If I get repeated empty tank syndrome, then the flapper is probably leaking the water out again.

Maybe the design changed since I purchased my first one? If nothing else, it's easy to bend/break the locking paw off of the float and you still get the added benefit of the bowl fill "throttle". I was amazed at how much extra water my old valve was sending right down the drain with every flush... I'm a little concerned that "professionals" are talking about replacing the entire unit to defeat the leak sentry feature when a pair of side cuts would do it in 2 minutes while still installed in the tank (just cut the locking paw off).

Anyhow. I love mine and am buying another. If my second install goes as smoothly as the first install I may well buy a few spares to have around for future projects. If most people are having that hard of a time with them they probably won't be making them much longer."

As an update:

1 - That is about 1/2 what I paid... I'm about to buy another 2 kits.

2 - My downstairs toilet just CAN'T be adjusted right to be flawless... I've learned that you have to double tap the handle to make it work right (it's basically that fast and that easy).

--------------------

To the OP: Pimp thyne throne. It's your damn house and where you go to take a comfortable shit (the conquest of mankind since recorded history began). I've got fans, ulltra soft Charmin, and plunger in clear sight (damn does it piss me off when someone hides their plunger or "spare mags"), car magazines, gun magazines, Hunter Thompson books, The History of Farting, and the Alphabet of Manliness on hand at all times. I have no shame... I drop it like it's hot and enjoy doing so. I may be in there for an hour... I don't give a fuck. I bought a house with 2 cans for a reason.. Don't knock on my chamber door unless you want me to shit on you.
Edited by Maxwelhse

Yeah, upgrading the flushing performance is next on my list after figuring out a solid seat setup. Ideally I want the really strong flushing setup like you find at truck stops and on the turnpike.Ya know, something strong enough to break a fat log in half without requiring additional flushing or manual log splitting. Anyone here know what plumbing/water pressure goes that kind of setup? I don't care about living with a higher GPF rating.

• Like 2

I just want more water in the bowl, fuken newfangled shitters don't have enough water to cover a decent size load -O- shit shocked.gif

In the bowl or in the tank?

I have metering values on my bowl fills to get the level just the way I want it.

Bought this kit...

http://www.amazon.com/Fluidmaster-400LS-Leak-Sentry-Valve/dp/B000BQUHUQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

(For SOME REASON Amazon removed the pictures of my potty [it was clean and everything.. WTF!] that I included with my review)

that includes a bowl fill throttle.

Here's my Amazon review.

"I installed one of these in my upstairs bathroom about 3 years ago and it wasn't traumatic at all. Yes, the directions were terrible, but this is such a simple device that I didn't really need them. You put it in the hole in the tank, adjust the float level, fiddle with the length of the chain for a bit, adjust the bowl fill "throttle", and put the lid back on.

I had mine up and running correctly after about 20 minutes of fiddling with the chain length. In the 3 years since I've installed it mine has failed to fill the bowl maybe 5 times? As long I push the handle completely (no limp wristed flushing) it's not a problem.

I'm on a well and my entire house runs on softened water. So, if a flapper valve starts leaking and I don't know it (like my downstairs toilet has started to do) my softener starts eating salt like crazy. I am intentionally seeking out this valve to upgrade the downstairs toilet while I'm doing the flapper just so the sudden salt drain (way more money than the toilet parts) can't happen again. If I get repeated empty tank syndrome, then the flapper is probably leaking the water out again.

Maybe the design changed since I purchased my first one? If nothing else, it's easy to bend/break the locking paw off of the float and you still get the added benefit of the bowl fill "throttle". I was amazed at how much extra water my old valve was sending right down the drain with every flush... I'm a little concerned that "professionals" are talking about replacing the entire unit to defeat the leak sentry feature when a pair of side cuts would do it in 2 minutes while still installed in the tank (just cut the locking paw off).

Anyhow. I love mine and am buying another. If my second install goes as smoothly as the first install I may well buy a few spares to have around for future projects. If most people are having that hard of a time with them they probably won't be making them much longer."

As an update:

1 - That is about 1/2 what I paid... I'm about to buy another 2 kits.

2 - My downstairs toilet just CAN'T be adjusted right to be flawless... I've learned that you have to double tap the handle to make it work right (it's basically that fast and that easy).

--------------------

Pimp thyne throne. It's your damn house and where you go to take a comfortable shit. I've got fans, ulltra soft Charmin, and plunger in clear sight (damn does it piss me off when someone hides their plunger or "spare mags"), car magazines, gun magazines, Hunter Thompson books, The History of Farting, and the Alphabet of Manliness on hand at all times. I have no shame... I drop it like it's hot and enjoy doing so. I may be in there for an hour... I don't give a fuck.

The water level in the BOWL......you cannot regulate it, it will only hold the amount of water allowed by the trap. My old bowl held probably 2-gal., this piece  -O- shit, (pun intended), only holds about a gallon...maybe. Like I said, it aint enough to cover shit laugh.png

Yeah, upgrading the flushing performance is next on my list after figuring out a solid seat setup. Ideally I want the really strong flushing setup like you find at truck stops and on the turnpike.Ya know, something strong enough to break a fat log in half without requiring additional flushing or manual log splitting. Anyone here know what plumbing/water pressure goes that kind of setup? I don't care about living with a higher GPF rating.

In fact, I do... The professional toilets have a pressure tank that is dumped (please DO NOT pardon my pun) when you hit the valve. They're a bit too much for the average home due to how they need to be installed. The Kohler home units have the same idea going, but it's all contained in the tank (when you pull the lid you don't see anything... just a big black box). If you want maximum turd killing power without a ton of hassle, that's the way to go. They don't use any more water than the old school pottys. I'm not sure how the engineering works, but it does, and as an engineer I can you that's good enough for me when it comes to log splitting in my potty.

You can interchange, but black on white doesn't sound right....

I like the checker board theme, myself. I've got a bunch of black cars and a grup of white (at premium cost) amplifiers. Looks good! cool.png

The water level in the BOWL......you cannot regulate it, it will only hold the amount of water allowed by the trap. My old bowl held probably 2-gal., this piece  -O- shit, (pun intended), only holds about a gallon...maybe. Like I said, it aint enough to cover shit laugh.png

That's true... I can turn mine DOWN as much as I want, but UP is a problem. I have an adjustible flapper which does help, very slightly, to raise the level in the bowl, but it's not a cure all. HOWEVER, BACK TO THE OP, IT CAN DRAMATICALLY IMPROVE PERFORMANCE.

Go get yourself some $99 "toilet-in-a-box" at Home Depot and you'll be good. Or hit the used potty market... My hat is off to you if you buy second hand shitters!

Edited by Maxwelhse

In fact, I do... The professional toilets have a pressure tank that is dumped (please DO NOT pardon my pun) when you hit the valve. They're a bit too much for the average home due to how they need to be installed. The Kohler home units have the same idea going, but it's all contained in the tank (when you pull the lid you don't see anything... just a big black box). If you want maximum turd killing power without a ton of hassle, that's the way to go. They don't use any more water than the old school pottys. I'm not sure how the engineering works, but it does, and as an engineer I can you that's good enough for me when it comes to log splitting in my potty.

You can interchange, but black on white doesn't sound right....

I like the checker board theme, myself. I've got a bunch of black cars and a grup of white (at premium cost) amplifiers. Looks good! cool.png

That's true... I can turn mine DOWN as much as I want, but UP is a problem. I have an adjustible flapper which does help, very slightly, to raise the level in the bowl, but it's not a cure all.

Go get yourself some $99 "toilet-in-a-box" at Home Depot and you'll be good. Or hit the used potty market... My hat is off to you if you buy second hand shitters!

^^^^^^^that is exactly what caused the problem beaten.gif

^^^^^^^that is exactly what caused the problem beaten.gif

DOH! I knew their innerds were junk (which is easily fixed), but i didn't thnk the castings were faulty.

Well... Get some '70s crappers (second hand... I suppose that isn't so gross... My toilets weren't new to my house when I bought it and Earth still have plenty of bleach) or upgrade to the monster (and costly) Kohler's I've been lusting after.

dude, you don't need to upgrade the flushing performance of your toilet. you need to do something with your diet, like cutting out the cheese and bacon, then maybe you will  shit logs that are human size

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

Careful with the low flow shitters if you have iron pipes.  They don't have enough flow to clear the pipes and you get backups.

Also I forget who had the recall on their jet flush system.  If one of those jet systems goes up.....you're remodeling the house!

dude, you don't need to upgrade the flushing performance of your toilet. you need to do something with your diet, like cutting out the cheese and bacon, then maybe you will  shit logs that are human size

Matthew, I know you're a blunt guy and I really do respect that about you (I also enjoy most of your posts), but in this case...

STFU!

Cutting the Cheese (he he he) and Bacon? You may as well just shoot him in the dome... What's next? Salads, veggie burgers, and voting D?

wink.png

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

Thank Congress for that.  They're the ones who mandated low flow toilets you have to flush multiple times to get the "job" done......the morons.  They didn't save an ounce of water with their eco-friendly solution to saving water.