Do the Arsenal SGL -31 conversions count?

Just got myself an SGL-31-61 5.45x39 Saiga build.  Are they considered Saiga or is this area only for purists?  Decided to drop the hammer on it as any and all real Russian AKs will soon be under iport restrictions I fear.  Came with one 30 round circle 10 mag and paperwork (manual, factory certificate, etc.)  Will be topping it off with Tapco 249 grip and a Midwest Industries 30mm scope mount with Vortex Strikefire scope. Might switch out the hand guard for a Midwest Industry smooth modular extended. Anyway, expect these to beceom unobtainium soon. Made/imported by FIME group out of Las Vegas, base rifle was a Saiga.

Edited by Saigaczech

Congrats. They are badass rifles. I really dont think they are converted like we typically  would think they are. Its hard to say how they were brought into the country, but I was unable to find any welded holes on mine, so it leads me to believe they dont really do much to them other than installing US made parts where needed. I think they are Saiga marked receivers that miss the process of the holes being punched in for the rear sporter trigger. Some interesting info can be found here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/70376-arsenal-sgl-21-has-mil-spec-barrel/

I read in a few different places that the SGL series is going to be no more. I hope it can be in favor of new items coming in from Russia, but its hard to say at this point what the future holds in those regards.

• 7 months later...

I also have an SGL-31, and have talked to FIME / Arsenal. They are indeed Saigas. Conversion process includes removal of stock, forearm, trigger, and sporter plate on bottom of receiver.

They then paint receiver, install US-made parts (pistol grip, trigger, forearm, stock, etc) for 922 compliance, plus a bullet guide to allow use of standard AK mags.

Then box it up and ship it out.

I love mine.

I also have an SGL-31, and have talked to FIME / Arsenal. They are indeed Saigas. Conversion process includes removal of stock, forearm, trigger, and sporter plate on bottom of receiver.

They then paint receiver, install US-made parts (pistol grip, trigger, forearm, stock, etc) for 922 compliance, plus a bullet guide to allow use of standard AK mags.

Then box it up and ship it out.

I love mine.

News to me. Mine don't have old trigger holes from where the sporter trigger would be. Nor does it have welds on the receiver for the pins. But mine isn't a FIME gun. Its a legion marked one, and actually has arsenal on the side.

• Like 1

I think Captain Hero is right.  I don't know if they bring them in with thumbhole stocks or no furniture at all, but there is no sign that an old sporter trigger was moved forward on either Legion/Arsenal or FIME marked guns.

• Like 1

Im thinkin capn' is right. I have a fime sgl 21 and theres no marks where the old trigger pin holes would have to have been welded up. I agree and think the fime groups guns are the same as arsenals, and yanked off the production line before the sporter trigger is installed.

• 1 year later...

I had a guy offer me one for trade, it had 2 holes above the pistol grip filled in with rivets. It was a Legion/Arsenal SGL and the only one that I have seen with those rivets that wasnt a 10 or 100 series (not sure if its 10 or 100) convert. Every other one I have seen either didnt have those holes or was welded over, but the guy didnt seem to know what I was talking about so idk. I do have a "professionaly" converted saiga with the holes welded and I cant tell.