VEPR

RED SVD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Satdiver

Satdiver

• 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Simply gorgeous rifle, whats not to like? 

http://www.atlanticf...l.html?Itemid=0

54Ironwoodblog.jpg

I have always wanted a Russian Dragunov but since those are long gone would you consider this a respectable alternative?

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, pro's - con's, suitable alternatives, better choices, etc?

Does anyone have one? What are your likes, dis-likes?

thanks for your input. 

Edited by Satdiver, 06 April 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#2 Mullet Man

Mullet Man

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Thoughts.... that's badass!

2nd thought....surplus 54r is tough to find (right now anyway) and commercial is ~$.50/rd

Are you a resident of Illinois? Join www.Illinoiscarry.com

Items for sale...http://forum.saiga-1...-vepr12-and-ak/

#3 nukeme70

nukeme70

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

I'm working up to that as cheap as I can...I bought one of the "firewood stock" square-backs a while ago.  Put on an ATI Dragunov stock I had sitting around, drilled out some slots in the forestock, and purchased the tabuk/Dragunov flash-hider (haven't installed that yet).

I do plan on getting one of the POSP scopes, and I have the trigger conversion so that I can be all 922r happy.  20 round mags on order.  I figure at that time, I'll be as close to Dragunov as I can.  

Total cost with scope, mags, etc. will be close to $1200-1300.

Even though the 7.62x54r surplus is kinda scarce now, I think that supply will catch back up and it will be plentiful/cheap again.  If it does dry up, the demand from all of the Mosinites should stimulate domestic production and bring quality prices down.

#4 Sirex

Sirex

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

That looks awesome. Does anyone know if someone makes a dragunov stock for the square back Vepr? I googled it and all I see are the ones for UNconverted Saigas, Mak90s that have a slight angle, and the Vepr with slant cut. Am I missing something somewhere or has my google-fu been much defeated?

#5 nukeme70

nukeme70

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

That looks awesome. Does anyone know if someone makes a dragunov stock for the square back Vepr? I googled it and all I see are the ones for UNconverted Saigas, Mak90s that have a slight angle, and the Vepr with slant cut. Am I missing something somewhere or has my google-fu been much defeated?

I threw the Maadi/Mak-90 one http://tinyurl.com/k7utp8b���onto my Vepr - it doesn't have the greatest fit, as the square-back rifle doesn't seem to really be 90 degrees square (or maybe it's the stock?).  You pretty much have to choose to have the stock tight to the vertical portion by the tang, and have a gap by the trigger, or tight to the horizontal and aligned with the trigger, but have a gap by the tang.

I snugged the stock against the trigger.  The stock attaches at 2 points - the gripscrew and the tang.  This allows the stock to wiggle and creak a bit.  All that said, I'd probably get it again, but search around, it can be found cheaper than their website (I think WalMart carries it online...the foregrip that doesn't fit, though there is the potential for some dremeling...)

Pictured are the rifle and a close up of the gap.

Attached File  Vepr with ATI Stock.jpg   79.74KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Vepr ATI gap.jpg   118.09KB   0 downloads

Edited by nukeme70, 21 April 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#6 TacSat

TacSat

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

If I only had the duckies. That needs to be my next rifle.
PSALM 27:1-2
The Lord is my light and my salvation whom shall I Fear?the Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked ,even mine enemies and my foes,came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumble and fell.

#7 mikebaker1129

mikebaker1129

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

That is a sweet offering by Atlantic .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users