Simply gorgeous rifle, whats not to like? 

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/featured-not-published/vepr-54r-iron-wood-stock-detail.html?Itemid=0

54Ironwoodblog.jpg

I have always wanted a Russian Dragunov but since those are long gone would you consider this a respectable alternative?

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, pro's - con's, suitable alternatives, better choices, etc?

Does anyone have one? What are your likes, dis-likes?

thanks for your input. 

Edited by Satdiver

I'm working up to that as cheap as I can...I bought one of the "firewood stock" square-backs a while ago.  Put on an ATI Dragunov stock I had sitting around, drilled out some slots in the forestock, and purchased the tabuk/Dragunov flash-hider (haven't installed that yet).

I do plan on getting one of the POSP scopes, and I have the trigger conversion so that I can be all 922r happy.  20 round mags on order.  I figure at that time, I'll be as close to Dragunov as I can.  

Total cost with scope, mags, etc. will be close to $1200-1300.

Even though the 7.62x54r surplus is kinda scarce now, I think that supply will catch back up and it will be plentiful/cheap again.  If it does dry up, the demand from all of the Mosinites should stimulate domestic production and bring quality prices down.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks awesome. Does anyone know if someone makes a dragunov stock for the square back Vepr? I googled it and all I see are the ones for UNconverted Saigas, Mak90s that have a slight angle, and the Vepr with slant cut. Am I missing something somewhere or has my google-fu been much defeated?

That looks awesome. Does anyone know if someone makes a dragunov stock for the square back Vepr? I googled it and all I see are the ones for UNconverted Saigas, Mak90s that have a slight angle, and the Vepr with slant cut. Am I missing something somewhere or has my google-fu been much defeated?

I threw the Maadi/Mak-90 one http://tinyurl.com/k7utp8b���onto my Vepr - it doesn't have the greatest fit, as the square-back rifle doesn't seem to really be 90 degrees square (or maybe it's the stock?).  You pretty much have to choose to have the stock tight to the vertical portion by the tang, and have a gap by the trigger, or tight to the horizontal and aligned with the trigger, but have a gap by the tang.

I snugged the stock against the trigger.  The stock attaches at 2 points - the gripscrew and the tang.  This allows the stock to wiggle and creak a bit.  All that said, I'd probably get it again, but search around, it can be found cheaper than their website (I think WalMart carries it online...the foregrip that doesn't fit, though there is the potential for some dremeling...)

Pictured are the rifle and a close up of the gap.

post-45602-0-69550800-1398056720_thumb.jpgpost-45602-0-81451400-1398056719.jpg

Edited by nukeme70
  • 4 weeks later...