Csspecs behind the scenes videos.

I've been recording most of the design work on the Vepr-12 magazines. But it will have a really long run time without a little editing.

Like one of our design conversations was about 30 minutes long of debating how to get the follower to not tip forward when empty. Could be a little dry.

I'm not going to stage anything for these videos because my acting skills are non existent anyway..

So what is interesting? Design work, machine work? Or sparks and loud noises.

There is no shooting or explosions to record until the end of designing. So anything but that.

If there is something you want to see I'll make sure a camera is running when it happens. Otherwise it may or may not be recorded.

Thank you,

Edited to add this link to the play list.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNFXXc-PgQsP0Pt913fbgydzGhylHv4lO

Maybe just some forming, a few outtakes, any assembling, take any factory ak video for example but still have some Ffun with it. I'm assuming you don't use indoor surveillance but if you did that'd make for a bunch of footage to choose from.

No staged conversations or imaginary customers who offer you $5000 per mag if you can have them by friday.

Just show us how you press them out and the work that goes into tweaking stuff. 

Loads of reality show-style drama!  Get an annoying co-worker that you can have furious arguments with.  Then you could have catty interview segments where you both badmouth each other behind your respective backs.  Also look into getting a "funny" guy, maybe a comic fatso who is characterized by his "wacky" antics.

Kidding of course!  It's hard to know what the best way to organize the video(s) would be, but like beefcake was saying, having a good supply of footage is a plus.  Even if you don't use it all, you should have enough to select the best representative samples of the steps in the process.  Heck, you could even turn some of the more dry bits into a montage to save time and keep the audience interest.

All in all thought, kind of like what GunFun was saying, I'd be fascinated just seeing how you take a sheet of steel and turn it into a magazine!

• Like 1

Well we have something close to that... Last summer it got so hot I Walter Whited it for a few hours.. Not sure if that is the image you had in mind.

I'm going to say straight up. No one bought us a show room shop for this, and we are FAR from actors... The shop is really really dirty and small.

Here is the first episode of sorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQm6t_3LgE&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

Let me see what I can do, in the morning. I may be able to clip it in using the youtube editing.

I'll be more mindful of having the camera mobile for anything involving an object or drawing. Since its hard to see whats going on in either of the design conversations without having eyes on the drawing. Thankfully the screens we use don't flicker on camera.

You both have good presence on camera. It can be really awkward watching people who are hesitant or uncomfortable, but you guys looked like it was second nature.  The video is also pretty good clarity-wise.  I'm not a big fan of HD for a lot of applications, and the resolution of your video suits my needs for this kind of thing just fine.  The lighting is also good pretty much throughout, which makes it look a lot better.  Only the bit at the milling machine got washed out to the point of being hard to see, and the CAD room had a little noise on the back wall from low light, but it was hardly noticeable.  The sound was a bit dull, making it hard to hear voices at a few points.  Overall it wasn't bad sounding though.  Plus, I know on-board mics leave a lot to be desired, and production mics tend to be objects of desire.

The only major downfall was editing, but even that wasn't bad.  Somewhat in line with using a shot of the screen during the CAD discussion, more detailed shots intercut with the wider, explanatory shots, would make for a more dynamic, engaging video.  If your editing suite can select which clip's audio to use, it would be even better.  You could keep a seamless flow of explanations coming through the speakers as the images on screen reflect details relevant to the topic.  The CAD scene itself was probably the only one that really needed much work.  It was static, vague, and muffled, and it went on for three minutes.  I know you mentioned it was going to be dry, but there are ways of engaging the viewer.

Keep up the good work!  I'm already excited for future installments.

Edited by DrThunder88

I have limited video editing until I find a new program. So I can't overlay still images with the audio of a video.

I'm getting a little better at having the camera setup for interesting things, some of the milling videos did not make the cut due to a complete lack of visibility from the flood coolant. Its just a cutter moving back and forth in a stream of white liquid.. I did get a couple decent shots of the milling chewing off metal while slotting a piece, we had the coolant slowed down enough that I could take the coolant trays off for a few passes.

Obviously I'm not going to have TV grade video without a bunch of takes, which can't happen when your making a one off part that took five hours or more to make.

Edit: Mark wanted me to mention that he has a dozen matching shirts that he wears at work.

Here we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbB7eMgiJ08&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

I wish Harbor freight sold mills like that for a couple hundred bucks

Me too. I had to transport it 1200 miles to get a decent price. It came out of an transmission repair shop. Unfortunately its due for a lower head rebuild fairly soon... I really hate digging into lower mill heads, way too many little parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok part 3 should be up in an hour, its from last week. Part four should be done tomorrow, which will catch up to that day.

I'll try to clip in the stock youtube background music to make dress up the high speed parts of the video.. Sound quality is hampered by the background noise in the shop, I can't solve that very easy. I did caption a lot of video 3 to say what is being done. And video four has close up cad drawings to explain what is being made.

Hopefully that is more what you all want to see.

This is supposed to be video 3 once its up. I'll have to add the background sound once its up.

http://youtu.be/sZhPpPH3kqg

Yeah I first saw that a few days back on AKflies.. I had to watch it through about a dozen times, I actually had it right how each stamp is done.

I'm far from a professional camera man, or editor, or actor.

However I do actually work on magazines almost every day.

Part four covers building a test mag.. We skipped stamping the body because I still had a bucket of left over parts from last batch, I did have to cut a bunch of welds.

Also, we don't count the kick press as a "press" we use it for bending the tracks that hold floor plates on the magazines. Its great for doing slow movements under more control.

Production part forming, its one of the powered units that do the work.

http://youtu.be/w_rrGu8wyLs