Does any guys on here have one? How do you like it? Did they have proprietary magazines?

There's one for sale locally for 500. Is there anything particular I should be looking out for, besides the usual. I've looked around online a bit, basically the Czechoslovakia version of a ak. I just wonder what you guys thought. I got some tax return money coming back and it's already burning a hole in my pocket LOL

Thanks

Yes they take ONLY CZ mags. There is nothing out there for AK mag conversions. At the moment the mags are $15ea from AIM and Apex has them as well but slightly more $$$$. Nothing about the VZ and AK interchange.

I am not a big fan of Century. You are basically getting a VZ copy. Not much Czech in them. Probably bolt, striker, front trunion and furniture. Everything else is US made. Here is what you NEED to look for. Take it apart pull the bolt carrier out and flip it upside down. You want to see a tab on the left side. So you're looking at the top towards the back. You will see the back end of the stiker stick out  and right in front of you there should be this metal tab that sits on a small step. It should be on one side but not the other. Here is why. Due to the lack of the auto sear, you need a tab on your carrier to keep the disconnector from engaging the sear too soon. If you take your carrier out and look down into the fire control group, you will see the rounded arm of the disconnector sticking up on the left side. This is on the trigger pin. Notice that the disconnector catches on the sear that is being pushed up by the spring. As the carrier travels back after firing, the ear on the left pushes down on the disconnector which then releases the sear, allowing it to pop up to catch the striker. The problem is, without the auto sear mechanism (or added tab) the disconnector can re-engage the sear as the carrier is pushing the sear down, thereby capturing it in the down position where it can't catch the striker. The added tab keeps the disconnector pushed down long enough so that the carrier can pass by the sear fully before the disconnector can re-engage. Hope that makes sense! If you google it Im sure you'll see what Im talking about. Most VZs without that tab function fine. No one has done a serious torture test on one of these CAI VZs so I cant tell you if the problem isnt there then it will never be or if it shows up after X amount of rounds. Most CAI VZs dont have that tab, some do. ALL CZPOIINT HAVE IT!

I own the Chechpoint version and I think its a great rifle.................for a lefty. Thats why I bought it. The saftey is a small lever, like on the AR, but its on the wrong side for a right handed person. Your trigger finger is way forward of the lever and you would have to brake your grip to move it. For me its where it should be, by my thumb. Same goes for the mag release. Its to the left of the trigger guard, parallel to the trigger guard. This means its not easy doing fast reloads. First you would have to drop the empty mag, then insert a new one. As a lefty I can push the release with my trigger finger while knocking the empty mag out with the new one. Charging handle is the same but its angled up making it easeir to do an overhand charge ......for a right handed person. I think the ergos are superior to the AK but only with the full stock. The folder reminds me more of the Hungarian wire folder, its neither here nor there. The cheekweld is much better with the full stock version.

Accuracy is a little better but about the same as a well bilt AK using good ammo. It does have the last round BHO, if that matter to you. Field stripping is not much harder then an AK and maybe a little slower. It works on pins like an AR. Pull the rear pin out (it doesnt completely come out of the rifle). The VZ has its springs integrated into the dust cover. Push the dust cover forward, up and out, like the AK recoil spring. Pull the stiker carrier back and out, like on the AK. Done! If you want to remove the upper handguard that part is easier then the AK. Its not a gas tube but a cover. Works the same way...on pins instead of levers. Pull the pin out, take the cover off. To tke the piston out just pull it back a little, up and pull out forward.

I think they are great rifles I just have no confidance in Century. So far I have had my Czechpoint for about 6 months. As a reliability test of sorts Ive taken up to the coal mountains to shoot. On a warm breezy day if you spend the afternoon there just standing around you eventually get covered in coal dust. So Ive taken the VZ up there to get some fine dust particles in it, while shooting dirty wold ammo. So far, 6 months, 5k rounds, no cleaning and no signs of it slowing down. I do believe that the design is more refined and more precise with closer tolorances however, unless you plan on burrying it in clay for 60 years I dont think you'll have a problem. A quick basic cleaning is all it will need. In an emergancy open it up, spray some WD40, work the action and it should be fine.

Edited by Arik
  • Like 1

^ Great writeup.

The long and the short of it - there is zero parts interchangeability between the vz.58 rifles (or their century copies) and any AK - though you can modify an AK pistol trunnion to accept a vz. 58 stock.

I would pick one up for $500 if I had the money. I've seen a few of the century rifles, and they're not nearly as nice as the real Czech rifles - but you do get a threaded barrel and bayonet lug, unlike the real Czech rifles, which were neutered to come into the country.

I have a Century rifle, and it did show at least one sign of the company's famous ham-fisted gunsmithing.  Fortunately, it was just a mashed up roll pin, which I replaced with one from the hardware store.  That aside, the fit and finish is much better than any AK I've owned, though that may be out of necessity.  The beaver barf furniture is a little strange and nowhere near as attractive as Bakelite.  Still, it seemed pretty durable when I sanded it.  Otherwise, the gun only seen very light duty so far, so I can't speak to it's reliability.

Make sure the offer includes five magazines, a pouch, bayonet, and sling. Otherwise, it may behoove you to check out online vendors like AIM Surplus, which offers that as a package deal for $500.

Oh, and the stock hinge was slightly frozen when I got the gun.  A little oil and working the button seems to have rectified it though.

Edited by DrThunder88

I own a VZ-2008 from Century, my understanding is that they fucked them completely up in the beginning and ended up out-sourcing the build, so the only thing Century about them is (maybe) some assembly. Please note that this could all be false, but that's what I've been told. I'm perfectly satisfied with mine, I bought up a bunch of mags from AIM when they put them on sale for $11. The gun came with 5 mags in a leather pouch and a detachable bayonet W/sheath, and a sling. The gun also has a chrome lined barrel and milled receiver. I changed out the gas tube with a different one that comes with a top rail and tapped on both sides for small side rails, PM me if you buy it and I'll dig the information out for ya. I did put a red dot sight on mine. If I didn't already own one I would buy one, they are more compact than an AK. Try doing a search, as I am positive that there is another thread covering this gun. Let us know what you decide.

I have owned one for several years and it's a great rifle! As AA said, they are more compact than an AK, and pretty accurate. Even with the milled receiver, they run about a pound lighter than the AK. Wouldn't trade mine for anything. I would love to have one of the VZ58's, but for the difference in money, you can buy a whole lot of mags and ammo.

Got mine when they were $349, and during the "scare", I saw them going for several thousand. You won't go wrong with one. Just make sure that you get plenty of mags.