I have been thinking about trading my glock for another handgun.  Its not that its a bad gun, its completely reliable and shoots everything I put through it.  Its just not cutting the mustard for me, thats all.

Try as I might, through thousands of rounds of practice, hand grip exercises, or dry firing, I simply do not shoot it well.  Not sure if its the grip size or the grip angle or my fingers relationship to the trigger or the trigger itself, I have come to a realization that I may never be 'good' with it.  My wifes sr9c is a completely different story, I can chew out bullseyes all day at 10yds, youd think I could do the same with a longer barrel and sight radius, nope.

First criteria, I want something of equal value, possibly a straight up trade.  Second, i want an SA/DA, Ive had enough with strikerfired for the moment.  Third, reliability should be similar as well.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have been thinking about trading my glock for another handgun.  Its not that its a bad gun, its completely reliable and shoots everything I put through it.  Its just not cutting the mustard for me, thats all.

Try as I might, through thousands of rounds of practice, hand grip exercises, or dry firing, I simply do not shoot it well.  Not sure if its the grip size or the grip angle or my fingers relationship to the trigger or the trigger itself, I have come to a realization that I may never be 'good' with it.  My wifes sr9c is a completely different story, I can chew out bullseyes all day at 10yds, youd think I could do the same with a longer barrel and sight radius, nope.

First criteria, I want something of equal value, possibly a straight up trade.  Second, i want an SA/DA, Ive had enough with strikerfired for the moment.  Third, reliability should be similar as well.

What do you mean you dont shoot it well? Its not as accurate? Thats not you. Most glocks wont chew up the center of the target anyway. Its close and on target but you wont have little itty bitty center hole where all the bullets are going. Try the 19, The shorter grip makes a difference.

Thats probably not gonna happen. Either you fork $$ over or the other person does.

Not much out there in the way of SA/DA.

Berretta DA blows.

Sig post 2005 have been failures untill recently,

S&W 5906 are all stainless and heavy, good DA trigger but parts availability is bad. Hasnt been made since about 2002

CZ are ok and their many clones are worse. Most have stupid heavy DA pull and dismal aftermarket support.

HK. Nothing I can say bad about them except you have to be able to afford to run them. USP/P2000 9/40 are cheap(er). Mags around $35 because most were police issue. However if you want the extended mags or 45acp mags be prepared to pay through the nose. At least $60ea. The othre thing is the many different versions of the trigger. Some heavy, some light, some decock some only safety while others do both. And there is  also the LEM, which itself has like 4 versions.

If I had to absolutely bet my life on it I would go with the HK or the S&W.

What do you mean you dont shoot it well? Its not as accurate? Thats not you. Most glocks wont chew up the center of the target anyway. Its close and on target but you wont have little itty bitty center hole where all the bullets are going. Try the 19, The shorter grip makes a difference.

Thats probably not gonna happen. Either you fork $$ over or the other person does.

Berretta DA blows.

S&W 5906 are all stainless and heavy, good DA trigger but parts availability is bad. Hasnt been made since about 2002

CZ are ok and their many clones are worse. Most have stupid heavy DA pull and dismal aftermarket support.

HK. Nothing I can say bad about them except you have to be able to afford to run them. USP/P2000 9/40 are cheap(er). Mags around $35 because most were police issue. However if you want the extended mags or 45acp mags be prepared to pay through the nose. At least $60ea. The othre thing is the many different versions of the trigger. Some heavy, some light, some decock some only safety while others do both. And there is  also the LEM, which itself has like 4 versions.

How do you feel about the FNX?  Id have to throw in a couple hundred extra dollars, but thats fine if the quality is there.

Also, in the striker fired category, I really like the xds trigger.  However, being made in croatia and having heard of some quality related issues, makes me hesitant to consider one.

Berretta DA blows.

How do you feel about the FNX?  Id have to throw in a couple hundred extra dollars, but thats fine if the quality is there.

Also, in the striker fired category, I really like the xds trigger.  However, being made in croatia and having heard of some quality related issues, makes me hesitant to consider one.

Quality of the XD and XDm are outstanding. XDs has a different design and has had problems

Not a fan of the safety grip on the XD series and have heard many stories of them malfunctioning and roller pins breaking.

I cant say anything about the FNX because I only ever held one for a min. It felt fine. I didnt care for the trigger feel but it was a new gun.

Saying "1911" is like saying "automobile" My opinion on 1911 is down a few threads

I dont know if you have a store that specializes in police trades near you but if you do check them out. I'd recomand a HK USP or P2000. Either can be had for under $500 or right around.

If you want an extremely accurate pistol that is very inexpensive and can take the same abuse as a glock, check out a grand power k100. They are inexpensive and outshoot all my other pistols. The grip angle is holding you back and this one is a more traditional angle. It's an amazing pistol. It's more accurate than my target pistols and can take the abuse of every day carry, combat and millions of rounds. Century now imports them for hundreds less than STI did back in the day. STI imported them as the GP6.

Good luck!

Not a fan of the safety grip on the XD series and have heard many stories of them malfunctioning and roller pins breaking.

I cant say anything about the FNX because I only ever held one for a min. It felt fine. I didnt care for the trigger feel but it was a new gun.

Saying "1911" is like saying "automobile" My opinion on 1911 is down a few threads

I dont know if you have a store that specializes in police trades near you but if you do check them out. I'd recomand a HK USP or P2000. Either can be had for under $500 or right around.

good to know the price came down on the p2000. that's a sweet pistol. last time i looked at one it was round 800!

My Wife is in the same boat with not being able to find a comfortable grip with Glocks. She's looking to get an M&P Shield soon. I know that doesn't help you, since it's striker fired, but still, you're not alone on the grip issue. I'm afraid my experience with non striker DA/SA is only limited to the M9/92 and the Sig. I never cared for either, personally.

I never understood the "I can operate - ride - drive - shoot product X ,as good as product Y"  excuse?? I don't know if that's the right word.

Sure i understand if your used to one operation, you can't immediately use something different as good. but with a minimum of practice, I can .

Maybe I'm just THAT bad that I don't notice a differencelaugh.png

• Like 1

I love Glocks. I shoot the full size guns best, and can actually get several in the center. I do, however, suck with Glocks shitty factory sights. Night sights are a must, as well as a little time with the gun.

I've heard stories (and seen pics) of Glock kbs.

The XD pistols are solid and reliable.

Sure i understand if your used to one operation, you can't immediately use something different as good. but with a minimum of practice, I can .

In my case, it's not that I can't learn to shoot a Glock.  I just don't care to.  Why should I force my wrist into an unnatural position when so many pistols are available with correct grip angles?

My Glock 27 is my least loved but best gun. It is the gun I work with and is with me all other times. Some do not like them  and that is okay, but they work all the time.

I have XDM's M&P's, Sigmas, Sig's, Rugers and Colts but some how the 27 ends up with me. The Glock is a working Gun but I know a lot of guys who think it is a play gun and they love them. 

I think It started to be my main carry when the 40 S&W 135 grain Federal Boarder Patrol crap started to be issued, My XDM did not like it. The Glock ate it all day like it eats everything. It took me a  time to get used to my Glock but when it started working I trusted it more than any of my other guns.

I only have one Glock if you were close I might give your 17 a look.

Good luck !

My Glock 27 is my least loved but best gun. It is the gun I work with and is with me all other times. Some do not like them  and that is okay, but they work all the time.

I have XDM's M&P's, Sigmas, Sig's, Rugers and Colts but some how the 27 ends up with me. The Glock is a working Gun but I know a lot of guys who think it is a play gun and they love them. 

I think It started to be my main carry when the 40 S&W 135 grain Federal Boarder Patrol crap started to be issued, My XDM did not like it. The Glock ate it all day like it eats everything. It took me a  time to get used to my Glock but when it started working I trusted it more than any of my other guns.

I only have one Glock if you were close I might give your 17 a look.

Good luck !

Pretty similar here, carry the 26 always. When size isn't an issue, I have my 22 that I can trade out barrels and shoot 9mm.

I have about every brand and type out there but my GLock 26 is with me always. BUT i know that some have issues with them. Must be hand size, don't know.

OP, hope you find something you like. Let us know what you end up with. Good Luck, brother

I would suggest a serious look at the FNX if you want DA/SA plus all the bells and whistles of the controls.

They have a 1911 grip angle too. 

To me they feel very comfortable, not as natural as a hi-power but close.

Is it a stock trigger?

No sir.  I have a ghost 3.5, which was my last stop after trying the scherer 3.5 and glock factory 3.5 and 5.5.  All contact surfaces in the trigger group are polished. The trigger is nice, good break, good reset, and probably a 4lb pull (factory weight firing pin spring).  However, I just cant shoot it as well as other handguns ive tried, It must have to do with something purely mechanical(me +g17) that I can not ascertain.  

Im do very well with most other handguns.  But even after three years of twice a month range time, I cant seem to stay consistent with this one.

Edited by Boomsick42

Is it a stock trigger?

No sir.  I have a ghost 3.5, which was my last stop after trying the scherer 3.5 and glock factory 3.5 and 5.5.  All contact surfaces in the trigger group are polished. The trigger is nice, good break, good reset, and probably a 4lb pull (factory weight firing pin spring).  However, I just cant shoot it as well as other handguns ive tried, It must have to do with something purely mechanical(me +g17) that I can not ascertain.  

Im do very well with most other handguns.  But even after three years of twice a month range time, I cant seem to stay consistent with this one.

I understand. I had a Sig like that, got rid of it and never looked back. could never understand why I could not shoot it for what it was worth

If you want an extremely accurate pistol that is very inexpensive and can take the same abuse as a glock, check out a grand power k100. They are inexpensive and outshoot all my other pistols. The grip angle is holding you back and this one is a more traditional angle. It's an amazing pistol. It's more accurate than my target pistols and can take the abuse of every day carry, combat and millions of rounds. Century now imports them for hundreds less than STI did back in the day. STI imported them as the GP6.

Good luck!

good to know the price came down on the p2000. that's a sweet pistol. last time i looked at one it was round 800!

No my freind, those are used prices. Still a great pistol though

I never understood the "I can operate - ride - drive - shoot product X ,as good as product Y"  excuse?? I don't know if that's the right word.

Maybe I'm just THAT bad that I don't notice a differencelaugh.png

Im the same way. My only problem is with litle bug guns that are just to small to grip. Otherwise they all fit and feel fine

I've heard stories (and seen pics) of Glock kbs.

The XD pistols are solid and reliable.

In my case, it's not that I can't learn to shoot a Glock.  I just don't care to.  Why should I force my wrist into an unnatural position when so many pistols are available with correct grip angles?

Yes yes Glocks blow up........so does every other gun with over charged ammo, that wasnt my point. Theres been plenty of times when the grip safety broke rendering the gun useless along with striker roll pins breaking within 2k rounds of regular fmj ammo. Its common enough that no department around here aproves of them for duty. Yes I know the problems that glock has/had with their extractors. The thing there is that it didnt break nor did it stop functioning. It just had random ejection and often to the face. THe guns themselves still ran.

Only other thing I can suggest is try the Glock beaver tail. Its the cheapest option. I think they are only $20 or so. To install one just pop out the rear pin, attach the beaver tail extension and put the pins back. I have never used one but people say it dramaticaly changes the grip angle.

get an aluminum  CCF Race Frame has a better grip angle and seems to also improve the trigger pull

take the original frame and put it on a MechTech carbine unit

now you have two guns that you'll either love or more stuff to trade on the new gun later.

I do use the stainless CCF on my G24 and do have one of the carbine units

post-26137-0-12615000-1397048182.jpg

post-26137-0-69859200-1397048203_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-66497800-1397048699_thumb.jpg

Edited by the 4th Doctor

Unfortunately CCF has gone out of business.

guess who's not good at keeping up with what's going on in the world of firearms. ME!

I'd still play with the 17 more before trading it off.

post-26137-0-89810500-1397051859.jpg

Edited by the 4th Doctor

I did find the Timberwolf frame from Lone Wolf.  Polymer frame with correct grip angle.

To me it's not worth spending the extra money to get the grip angle right.  But to each his own.

Only other thing I can suggest is try the Glock beaver tail. Its the cheapest option. I think they are only $20 or so. To install one just pop out the rear pin, attach the beaver tail extension and put the pins back. I have never used one but people say it dramaticaly changes the grip angle.

Bang, I think I got it.  I have been using the 'grip force adapter' beaver tail grip since forever.  I just took it off and it squared my finger to the trigger, where the adapter put extra distance between the web of my hand and the tip of my finger.  I did some dry firing practice, with it on and off.  On, I seem to push to the left when pulling the trigger, Off doesnt seem to do that.  

You reminded me this thing was installed..  The grip force has been on there so long I just considered it part of the gun.  Now, I think its the main problem.

Edited by Boomsick42