What are you folks using for muzzle devices on your AK47's?

I have an M70B1 and believe the slant brake is contributing to what I have found is called the "infamous cheek-bone slap" and was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if so have you changed the brake to something else?

I was actually looking at putting the TAPCO AK-74 Style Muzzle Brake on mine and see what happens.

Thoughts or input?

-bp

"infamous cheek bone slap"??????  never heard of that, or even experienced any kind of slap from the stock on my cheek bone,  from any of my AKMs. I have been shooting my AKMs with slant brake for 15+  years now.

if you're experience a "slap"  from the stock on your cheek bone from shooting, the culprit is  you.  you're either not holding the rifle tight in  the pocket of your shoulder, or you're holding the buttstock away from the pocket of your shoulder.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

"infamous cheek bone slap"??????  never heard of that, or even experienced any kind of slap from the stock on my cheek bone,  from any of my AKMs. I have been shooting my AKMs with slant brake for 15+  years now.

if you're experience a "slap"  from the stock on your cheek bone from shooting, the culprit is  you.  you're either not holding the rifle tight in  the pocket of your shoulder, or you're holding the buttstock away from the pocket of your shoulder.

We must hold guns differently here in PA :-)

I took my B1 to my cabin over the weekend and 5 other guys shot it and all 5 said the same thing about the cheek bone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=AK+hitting+cheek&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe

But you could be right (user error).  Next time I shoot I am going to try moving my face slightly closer to the dust cover.

Edited by burntpowder

you're getting your face smacked because you're probably shouldering it like it's a hunting rifle. get your face up and close with the receiver, the "slap" will go away.

as for the original question, I have slant brakes on hand, but I generally run generic cage flash hiders on my 14x1LH thread AKs.

the Tapco AK-74 "style" brake (emphasis on "style") is not much more than a muzzle weight, since it doesn't have the gas expansion chamber that the real thing has, which is what really makes the real one work well. it will probably be better than a slant brake, but most of that is due to its high weight.

Edited by mancat

Yep I wish I could change the title of this thread to "Cheek Slap".

I have been doing a lot more reading on it and like you suggested I am going to move down the stock more and get closer to the receiver.  Just holding the gun like that seems like it could help this problem.

Other places suggest possible over gassing/weak recoil spring.  It is amazing how most of the complaints are coming from people with the polymer stocked O/N PAPs which is basically the same stock my B1 came with (currently am finishing the Yugo Wood set I bought).