E-mail Hornady and encourage them to produce an inexpensive 5.45x39&#3

http://www.hornady.com/contact_us

With the 7n6 ban, you can go the political route (which I doubt will work)  We can also encourage  domestic manufacturers to produce a alternatives to imported ammo.  Seeing that Hornady already produces a 5.45 V-max round, it shouldn't take them much to produce a inexpensive steel core FMJ.  More people to write them, the better chance we have.

For several weeks, I have been contacting them asking for a brass cased version of the 5.45x39, suitable for reloading. They keep indicating they will forward my request on to the New Products R&D section. Reloading components would be most welcome, allowing experimenting and finding a "signature" round for specific rifles.

• Like 1

Steel core IS what's banned, not russian ammo. Hornady making steel core ammo would make no difference. We can still get all the other 5.45, just not the cheap surplus.

Banned from importing it, yes. If it is made domestic, I believe it is legal. It doesn't make an sense to me, but what ever.

Anything from Hornady would be more expensive than GT 5.45 already is anyway.

I would not be surprised if GT, tula, wolf, bear ammo is targeted next for a ban. BATFE will make something up or misinterpret some law so they can.

Steel core IS what's banned, not russian ammo. Hornady making steel core ammo would make no difference. We can still get all the other 5.45, just not the cheap surplus.

Banned from importing it, yes. If it is made domestic, I believe it is legal. It doesn't make an sense to me, but what ever.

Anything from Hornady would be more expensive than GT 5.45 already is anyway.

I would not be surprised if GT, tula, wolf, bear ammo is targeted next for a ban. BATFE will make something up or misinterpret some law so they can.

The ban will apply equally to domestic production and importation - both are covered by the same law that is being misused.

That said, there's not much reason for them to build a steel core round - regular FMJ will sell better, as it can be fired at ranges that do not allow metallic projectiles, and they probably aren't tooled up to produce projectiles with steel cores. A nice lead-core FMJ and/or HP/SP would be just what the doctor ordered. Hell, they could just sell the polymer-tipped stuff without the polymer tip - there you go, instant HP ready to sell.

The biggest issue with continuing to use imported casings is the risk that Russian arms and ammunition may be cut off from importation entirely - and if we aren't producing any 5.45x39 domestically from start to finish, that's going to mean a huge overnight spike in prices, until the market gradually catches up - and new prices for American-made ammunition will still be cruelly high.

Edited by Shandlanos

Did a test with a buddy on 5.45 bullets using wet phonebooks and some wood blocks. Hornady was the ONLY ONE that was close to 7N6. All the other shit just made tiny holes and eventualy tumbled through the wood blocks. Hornady expanded inside the phonebook and 7N6 did its thing as well, tumbleing out into the wood blocks