Nice GTAW. Getting inside those slip on flanges might have been a bit rough using a 17 tig torch, or did you have a mini? Gotta show the roots on the open butts to really brag, the cap is mostly cosmetic.

Can you stick?

For show 6010 root 7018 cap, all root bends. welded in the 6g position.

IMG_20130829_193137 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20130829_183411.jpg

Stick is my weak suit. UA Lu #073 here with UA 22, 41, 71 certifications. The coupon above was practice for a UA 2 cert.

That's what I'm talking about! Knew there would be some good ole boys out there! Ik cap is just to impress the ladies, you can drop your locks and open the valve after I put in the bead, Ill finish the hot pass after the plants up n running.lol right now it's just slam-n-jamb, but if I get a little free time I'll do a full purge root for ya. I have section lX certs in stick and tig, ss n carbon. He'll ones even 309 tig root, 7018 on . I prefer to fit by trade, but I'm the boss so I don't get to have fun as much anymore on my tools. Now I just gotta deal tend to the adult-daycare business! Lmao keep the pics rolling!

Most of my pics say "file to big"

Sittn outside the gate on smoke break. 58 hours in right now, try to get 84 by sun

post-48862-0-66650400-1397255781_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-17684700-1397255854_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-40245000-1397255901_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-12938800-1397255987_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-56689900-1397256113_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Alright, as an ME that can't weld my way out of paper bag, teach me something...

I don't like the look of the original picture because there is a lot of blue and scorch on the pipe, which leads me to believe that the pipe has been overly embrittled during the welding process. I would think that it would be a good idea to keep the heat on the flange side of the weld instead?

Again, I'm not throwing stones. Teach me! smile.png

edit: Then again.. It doesn't really look like that pipe is correct for the flange! You got a bad designer?

Edited by Maxwelhse

I don't like the look of the original picture because there is a lot of blue and scorch on the pipe, which leads me to believe that the pipe has been overly embrittled during the welding process. I would think that it would be a good idea to keep the heat on the flange side of the weld instead?

The tint is a high temperature chromium oxide, and the color indicates the temperature at which the oxide formed and/or the thickness of the oxide.  There is no basis for metallurgical embrittlement in this context and the oxide forms in the solid state and is a surface film only.  For the weld shown, the blue tint is not an issue, it is wire brushed away, but some reqirements may limit tinting to the straw color for surfaces in corrosion service.  The consistency of the the tint areas along the length of the weld reflects both shielding gas coverage and reduced heat flow in the thinner pipe wall.  The equal leg fillet weld indicates the welding heat is correctly balanced/controlled.  If tinting were an issue, one suggestion would be to use a gas lens combined with a slightly wider gas cup.

• Like 1

The tint is a high temperature chromium oxide, and the color indicates the temperature at which the oxide formed and/or the thickness of the oxide.  There is no basis for metallurgical embrittlement in this context and the oxide forms in the solid state and is a surface film only.  For the weld shown, the blue tint is not an issue, it is wire brushed away, but some reqirements may limit tinting to the straw color for surfaces in corrosion service.  The consistency of the the tint areas along the length of the weld reflects both shielding gas coverage and reduced heat flow in the thinner pipe wall.  The equal leg fillet weld indicates the welding heat is correctly balanced/controlled.  If tinting were an issue, one suggestion would be to use a gas lens combined with a slightly wider gas cup.

That's the education I am looking for. Thanks!

You guys lost me on the 1/2"

One of my welders just paid this out! Said there must be rattlers around he cuz he found a snakeskin wrapped around the pipe! Lol

That is, artistically, one of the best weld I've ever seen. Props to that guy!

It's like your dick, but 1/4 scale.. wink.png j/k j//k...

I couldn't resist a setup that good.

Sittn outside the gate on smoke break. 58 hours in right now, try to get 84 by sun

Dude, I've done 90 (across 2 jobs) with 19 hours being my longest day...I hope you're 25 or under with no family... Otherwise, that shit isn't worth it. Money comes, and it goes. You'll get more when you need it.

Edited by Maxwelhse

Can't order that shit from china!

Jumbo gas lense/12 cup are my go-to. It's sch 40 on the 1", sch10 on everything up. Also this is 304 pipe/308 wire, basically the cheapest ss pipe you can get. Good news is the plants have 200proof alcohol on tap!

Schedule 10 pipe? I've never even heard of that... Is that about the thickness of 2 sheets of printer paper?

Here comes my engineer dork side, 304SS is one of the best SS alloys out there. What would you prefer?

I'm good at reading a tape and bending tube also... so at said glass plant when they ordered rigid medgas line and told me to bend it we had a problem.

They bought up every swagelok and parker compression fitting they could get from any distributor in the area for the oxygen injection system... End results looked like this.

Could have saved them a lot of money if they bought the right material.

IMG_20120610_071603.jpg

IMG_20120611_132048.jpg

Nice work! Old hand once told me"where there's chaos there's money!" Crazy what these places will throw at a project under in a deadline! Done a lot of sanitary tube. Wall thickness from .035 to .120. Sch 5 to hell idk but it was 5 1/2" thick! "J"bevel

Made a real nice tig wire holder out of 1 1/2" swagelok and ss tube. I'll take some pics tom. I'm not sure the size but they get to be 100$ a fitting real quick.

Cut the "original" fugly stick out of an old tank the other day!lol made a 3" door breacher the other day(overflow weir) also

Slots n holes! Just like this

Yes I have kids. 5 actually! And ole lady was in truck next to me!

post-48862-0-78735400-1397267557_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-73933300-1397267636_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-30146100-1397267705_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-92821100-1397267776_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-69770100-1397267847_thumb.jpg

It's like your dick, but 1/4 scale.. ;) j/k j//k...

Btw maxwell, you must have measured it the circumferencialy! But lots of girls have made that mistake for you vantage point!

I couldn't resist a setup that good.

Dude, I've done 90 (across 2 jobs) with 19 hours being my longest day...I hope you're 25 or under with no family... Otherwise, that shit isn't worth it. Money comes, and it goes. You'll get more when you need it.